Bethesda Lutheran Communities

Mike Thirtle

1. It's Okay

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in North Olmsted, OH
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in North Olmsted, OH

I have been working at Bethesda Lutheran Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Better pay than my last job, boss is pretty chill and laid back (but strict when needs to be), the job itself is simple, there are fun outings and activities/cook outs and picnics sometimes, no uniforms/dress code required, just (decent) house/comfort clothes and closed shoes, and there's a lot of down time

Cons

Most staff are lazy, individuals' behaviors (sometimes) are out of hand, staff don't follow rules and regulations all the time -because we're unsupervised at the houses, the only time everyone acts the way the job is actually supposed to be is when County comes to see how well the organization is doing, they can be pretty unorganized sometimes, and there's a lot of down time.

Advice to Management

Retrain old staff, or check in more often until they understand they need to do their job properly, and break the bad habit of leaving everything for the next person to complete.

2. Wish they had stayed in Florida

Former Employee - Lead DSP in Ocala, FL
    Former Employee - Lead DSP in Ocala, FL

I worked at Bethesda Lutheran Communities (More than 3 years)

Pros

provided good care for residents

Cons

pulled services for special needs residents from Florida

3. Ok place to work

I have been working at Bethesda Lutheran Communities full-time

Pros

Nice Benefits,Love the individuals I support.

Cons

Management doesn't really seem to care about DSP's. You get more emulous from the president of the company than your own manager. Communication is poor.

Advice to Management

Listen to the front line and communicate.

5. Wrongfully Fired

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Sycamore, IL
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Sycamore, IL

Pros

The people that you support are so loveable and make you enjoy your job.

Cons

Cleaning up big messes when when ppl go on themselves without a diaper. Leads and house managers do not have structure or care for it at some locations.

Advice to Management

Really investigate false claims against employees and evaluate higher ups to ensure the people supported are well taken care of.

6. DSP

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bethesda Lutheran Communities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paid time off was good and great clients for the most part. You can move up quickly with no education and little ability.

Cons

Very uneducated staff and supervisors. The company policies are vague and used to set people up by some punitive punitive staff. Very clicky and favoritism. Lots of lying and deceitfulness.

Advice to Management

Value education and don't promote staff that have demonstrated having problems with their attitudes with clients. The next in line is the easy choice but often not the best.

7. one of the most poorly run agency in mental retardation

Current Employee - DSP in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - DSP in Cleveland, OH

Pros

There is nothing good about this place.

Cons

Working with bedbugs, low pay, and lazy managers, who steal from the clients

Advice to Management

Stop thinking that you are special, get an education and learn how to run a business

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Area Director in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Area Director in Portland, OR

Pros

There are amazing people who work here and the work is challenging.

Cons

Working for such large organization can be challenging at times.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Bethesda Lutheran Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love my clients, they are like family. my job doesn't feel like a job, the best position for me. I hope to move up in the future.

Cons

Communication needs to be improved between co workers and management. co workers are not doing there job.

Advice to Management

Would like to be notified about changes asap and not last minuet.

My experience working for this company has taught me how to communicate with a diverse group of people.

Pros

Making someone happy by being a positive influence, easy to keep busy, long shifts

Cons

Dealing with individuals who are sick which may result in cleaning vomit.

Advice to Management

Keep coming up with great ideas that assist our individuals to reach their desired goals.

Group homes with questionable priorities/agenda

Former Employee - DSP, Lead in Victoria, MN
    Former Employee - DSP, Lead in Victoria, MN

I worked at Bethesda Lutheran Communities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Provide excellent training, individuals served are happy, healthy and well integrated into the community and their needs and personal goals are without question the priority of the company.

Cons

The homes are outdated and even some of the furniture appears to be falling apart . Dining room tables and chairs cracking and peeling, blinds broken and not repaired or replaced, lamps missing shades, etc for the last 12 years, the cabinets and counters and things (excepting the flooring) the living room or bedroom furniture that the individuals purchase for themselves) have not been updated in two of the homes I'm aware of for more than 30+ years. Financial corner cutting to the point of being told that it's not in the budget because of the need to support the company's world-wide mission. This demonstrates to me that perhaps the business priorities are lacking. It is extremely outdated. Also, as a Christian organization taking over a non-denominational organization, the company instituted a kind of rule that all religious beliefs would be respected within the individuals plans, however, those not expressing a preference are to be encouraged to participate in Christian prayer. I find that also to be of questionable moral integrity.

Advice to Management

Care more about the conditions and amenities in the homes. Pay what the competitive rate is for the area so that you have a better quality pool of applicants.

RSS Feed </> Embed