Bethesda Lutheran Homes and Services, Inc.

www.blhs.org

Bethesda Lutheran Homes and Services, Inc. Reviews

Updated May 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

F David Geske

Hard But Rewarding Work

Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) Aurora, IL

ProsGood health and dental benefits, fulfilling work (helping those in need),

ConsNot a job for those unable to improvise, not a job for those with thin skin

Advice to Senior ManagementBe wary of lower management that make professional discrepancies personal. In a short time I saw valuable employees allowed to leave without much fight, and at times terminated for personal grudges that had nothing to do with job performance.

Bad place to work

DSP (Former Employee) Cypress, TX

ProsGreat pto and nice dsp's in every home very hard workers.

ConsI believe that the management at the cypress location of betheseda need to be investigated. They treat employees terrible and need to be removed. Most of the management hardly ever come to the house to check on the residents. I truly believe a investigator from corporate needs to come to the cypress headquarters to make sure that they are following protocol. I would do a surprise visit.

Life Changing

ProsWorking here was a joy. Loved the people I worked with, and had good management. I truly loved the clients I worked with, and it was a joy to serve them!

ConsSometimes they would work you thin with little recognition, and the clients/residents can be very difficult. Not to say I didn't like to work with them, but there are times you will be completely exhausted. The house I worked at was great, but now the management, and a lot of people have left, so not sure if it I would recommend this job to my friends.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up for yourself, and apply when there is a vacancy in upper management. If you don't make it a goal to move up, it may take years before you have that opportunity again. Stay patient and keep your composure.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you're not a VP, you don't count

Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) Watertown, WI

ProsThe mission of this company is outstanding...providing services to individuals with developmental disabilities. People on the front line taking care of these individuals are wonderful, caring people.

ConsThe company has sent out the message that there is no money - we've had to cut out a lot of things, including staff. However, upper management continues to hire 'corporate directors' at high rates of pay, wastes money on unnecessary trips, refuses to pay for their own insurance and wonders why there are union activities and good people leaving the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out in the field and look at how your actions or inactions are affecting the people we support.

Dont know

DSP (Current Employee) Watertown, WI

ProsHelping people in their daily lives

ConsManagement isnt to great. Pay stinks compared to other places.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat others as you would want to be treated

BLHS, a decent place to work, if work is your only/ main purpose

Area Director (Former Employee) Lenexa, KS

ProsIt does provide an opportunity to enhance the lives of people with developmental disabilities

ConsExpectation that a 40 hour work week is unrealistic, in a way it encourages co-dependance with staff and clientele, staff who have no family life use the agency to fill a void outside of work and rty and set the tone for the organization as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be more strategic in their thinking and look at the bigger picture of the economic downturn, There is a lot of waste that can be eliminated without necessarily laying staff off to only open the position again at a later time.

Meaningful work, as long as you don't expect to become wealthy doing it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Watertown, WI

ProsThe organization's mission is meaningful and makes a difference. Employees can feel good about the fact that their work matters. This company is also growing, which provides staff with new opportunities for career growth. In addition, management seems to work hard to recognize employees' efforts and make them feel valued. In general, the management style is friendly and supportive, but it's also very traditional in structure.

ConsAs with many nonprofits, the pay is not especially competitive. This affects morale and can sometimes contribute to employees acting less than professional in their day-to-day interactions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake up for lower salaries by offering more flexibility and other intangible benefits.

Chance to really make a difference in people's lives.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany job openings throughout the country. DSP jobs require little previous experience.

ConsChallenging work in a highly regulated environment. Low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet personally involved in the work done at the staff level. Look to Bethesda values and ask yourself, "WWJD with this management challenge?"

Worked with adults and children with disabilities

Program Manager (Current Employee)

ProsWorking with the clients, seeing them grow and become more independent, connecting with the families

ConsPay, lack of holiday pay or vacation time, high turn over of workers

Advice to Senior ManagementHave sick time/vacation time separate from holiday time.

Worked for Bethesda Lutheran Homes and Services, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!