Better Business Bureaus Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
64 reviews filtered by
2.4
Stephen A. (Steve) Cox

Pros
  • Hours are great , CEO is wonderful, family type feel, high commission rate (in 2 reviews)

• good internship overall, decent level of responsibility, nice co-workers, new interactions each day (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor compensation and no room for advancement (in 3 reviews)

• Micro management, high turnover (in 3 reviews)

1. It's interesting

I worked at Better Business Bureaus

Pros

CEO and managers are flexible with schedules if someone really needed help. Also time off is good, all major holidays. Great place for gaining experience right out of school in certain departments.

Cons

Office culture is what made me leave. CEO and management plays favorites; cliques are formed; people are gained up on and made fun of often. Also, volunteers and outside people are favored over what is right for an employee.

2. BBB Is What You Make It

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Better Business Bureaus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, office culture, growth opportunities, mission & vision.

Cons

Negative employees and former employees.

At BBB, you can take your position and make something great out of it. Some former employees may not have successfully made their position the best it could've been, while taking out their failures and frustration on senior management. If you're a salesperson, were hired as a salesperson with sales experience, and you can't figure out after days of training, how to make a sale, there's a problem with your approach.

The senior management team does a great job of making the Boston BBB one of the best in the BBB system with up-to-date technology, marketing efforts, new services for both consumers and businesses, and more. Former employees that state "no manager is going to assist you, due to the fact they have no system experience or knowledge" couldn't be farther from the truth as each has over a decade of experience with BBB and it's systems.

The job is what you make it, if you have the skills, capability, and work ethic to be successful. Take the initiative and make yourself into an asset. Working for an organization that promotes trust in the community, and helps both consumers and businesses, is a rewarding experience - IF you can do it.

BBB in Marlborough does a great job at doing things out of the ordinary with fun office events, summer day trips, holiday parties, and more. Most people writing reviews on Glassdoor have not been with BBB long enough to experience these, nor do they have a positive attitude if they have.

Ultimately, if you have a strong work ethic and believe in BBB's mission, it's a great place to work.

3. Rewarding Summer Internship Opportunity

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Better Business Bureaus as an intern

Pros

Professional work environment, exposure to upper management, good flexibility, great employee events, helpful training, nice colleagues

Cons

I worked for BBB many years ago, and the systems were being updated (uploaded to the computer, rather than hand written)...the transition was tedious, but worth it!

Blaming Others for Personal Failure

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Better Business Bureaus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Hours, Pay, Work Environment, Management Staff

I have read the other reviews posted here regarding BBB in Marlboro and I whole heartedly disagree. I have been employed in sales for a while now and I could not ask for a better group to work with and for.

Cons

Negative people who blame everyone and everything because they can't make it.

This is a difficult job, that's for sure. But if you follow the advice of management, listen to the coaching received and keep a positive outlook you'll do ok.

Maybe provide us with some bottled water. We do talk a lot and while the juice is nice, water would be great.

Business Relations Representative - not for sales people, but rather script readers

Former Employee - Business Relations Specialist
    Former Employee - Business Relations Specialist

I worked at Better Business Bureaus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good employees who believe in the vision and mission of the BBB. Set schedule. Paychecks that cash.

Cons

The script.

The job entails cold calling local businesses to sell them on BBB accreditation. The script is about 10 pages detailing every word you would say in the call. It is rigid, long and management wants it read in its entirety, as it is written, without extemporaneous conversation mixed in, unless a business wants to sign up during the pitch. There is no pipeline of keeping track which businesses have already been called since there is no CRM. Some leads are given out by management, but the expectation is you will find hundreds of leads on your own.

The BBB expects one call closes. In the script, it does ask for a credit card payment for accreditation from the business, which does go against the warning of the BBB to not give out such information.

The commission structure starts in the low 40% of the amount charged to the business and increases based on the amount of deals closed per week. Problem is, once the deal is "closed" it goes to the accreditation department and only once a deal is approved by them (and by the BBB director) does it officially become a deal. This process can take a day to several weeks, so it is hard pegging exactly what will be paid, when and at what commission.

In the end, this is truly a telemarketing job dialing for dollars, reading a canned script (as you are not allowed to rewrite it or even deviate that much) to CEO's, Presidents and business owners...the folks who are ultimately wary of canned scripts.

In summary, all BBB's way of doing business may vary. But the script is the same one used at most BBB's along with the canned rebuttals, which may add another whole page of reading per rebuttal. Because of the rigidity and insistence to follow a passionless pre-written script, no pipeline tracking and unknown timeframes for deals to be paid on a sliding scale commission structure, this is a tough job to recommend to a true salesperson as opposed to a copy reader who doesn't want to think much about what they are doing or saying.

For the love of all that is holy, give up the canned script and actually rely on hiring sales talent that are willing and understand how to ethically sell a product. At least, let the sales staff rewrite the script in their own words, translating their passion for the BBB to the businesses the BBBs are trying to accredit.

****While this post is anonymous, this experience is not for or from an east coast BBB.

Awful

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Better Business Bureaus

Pros

Pick your own schedule between 7-6
    Pay isn't bad

Cons

Extremely high turnover
    Bad reputation
    No feedback
    Awful leads

8. great Workplace, awesome internship. Thanks so much!

Former Employee - Mediator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Mediator in New York, NY

I worked at Better Business Bureaus part-time (less than a year)

Pros

All the employees are very friendly and the work environment is great. Its not too big so everyone knows each other on the floor. The day doesnt seem too long and the location is great. Right on 34st. A lot of good places to eat.
    Interning here was a great time and a lot of experience was gained on how to deal in a fast paced environment. Its great if you are going into law and are into arbitration and mediation.

Cons

No challenges it was a fun environment, very positive and fast paced. make sure you are good at multi tasking and answering phone calls and emails.

A Ship Without a Rudder.

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Better Business Bureaus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

*As each BBB is run independently, I can only speak of my experience in the Marlborough, Massachusetts branch*
    -Philosophically the mission statement of the BBB, to create a more ethical environment between businesses and consumers, is an admirable one and a great selling point.
    -Great benefits: 3 weeks paid vacation, most major holidays paid-off, no weekends.
    -Solid hourly wage plus bonuses. $19.23/hr.

Cons

Quite literally everything else...
    -The "training" is hardly that. They throw people on the phones who are unprepared after only three or four days, of which almost none is dedicated to actual sales training, and the results are poor. Combine that with no actual sales manager, no 1 on 1's or supplementary training and the turnover rate is extreme.
    -Horrible leads, many of which are found to be out of business, the wrong phone number or not even a business at all. Sales reps expected to make 85-100 phone calls per day and they usually end up pestering businesses by calling them multiple times. Also in that time you are supposed to source your own leads with virtually no training on best practices. One manager would literally dump the hotel pamphlets you pick up at your local gas station on our desks and claim she "distributed leads".
    -Businesses are led to believe that only the most "honest and reputable businesses" are allowed to become Accredited but literally any business that has been functioning for a year, has proper licensing and no major complaints can become Accredited. The small number who DO agree to become Accredited are then hit up for more money for "sponsored listings" after the fact.

-BBB is an organization that clearly let the Internet Age sneak up on them as they are losing major traction to websites like Yelp, TripAdvisor, HomeAdvisor, Angie's List. They have plummeted down the Alexa rankings for website traffic while their competition is improving. As such, they are scrambling to catch up but have no clear direction.
    -The management in this branch is fractured and seemingly aloof. Rather than continuing to hire and fire people in droves, perhaps a look inward would be helpful as many of the problems are systemic. Hire a sales manager.
    -When your expected success rate is less than 1% as a sales wing, something is amiss. Divide the enormous territory of this branch among your reps to provide better structure.

Disgusted

Former Employee - Executive Sales Consultant in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Executive Sales Consultant in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Better Business Bureaus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Pay
    Good Benefits
    Major Holiday paid

Cons

They Give you training for 3 days then put you on the phone .when went to management for question or asked for help , not there for you , had to make 85-100 calls a day no support then if u don't make sale they are mad , asked them after 2 weeks if they was listening to calls management admitted they wasn't , promised one to one feedback never happened . was let go after a month being there .. OF COURSE THERE WAS NO TRAINING. Part of Management was Related to each other , and only looked out for sales person they referred

Suppose to be teamwork . Hire a Manager that care of there coworkers to help them succeed

Worst place I have worked in over 25 years - Unethical

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Better Business Bureaus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits was the only good thing I can say about the company.

Cons

I can only speak to the Marlboro, MA location.

Management has a lack of respect for employees, and even picks on and bullies employees in front of everyone. A manager told one staff member she needs 8 more sales in a day or she will be fired. Never once saying the same thing to other employees who had less sales and the same quota. It's always the same people that are picked on. When everyone has the same goals.

When mgmt is asked a question and they don't respond and if you go to another manager, your manager reprimands you for going to another manager.

If you have a computer issue and send an email to your manager you will get no response. They do not even have an IT dept who can help.

If you are out sick and send an email you get no response even 48 hours later.

There is a complete conflict of interest. The HR manager is also the sales manager. The lack of system knowledge on how to use the proprietary software and therefore you are read from a manual during training. You get No hands on training. You are then sent to a desk to figure it out for yourself.

This is by far the most disorganized company I have ever worked for. I’m embarrassed to list BBB on my resume and I will not be listing it on my resume or on my LinkedIn.

In training they push all the Free items, then, when you get on the phones they change their tune. Saying you’re not supposed to mention the free items. So which is it? Well it depends on the employee. They will say on the floor to one employee you are not to say that and another employee they praise for doing the same thing. They do not treat people the same.

There is a severe lack of communication. They expectation of making 100 calls per day but find your own leads, as we were told is ludicrous. We were advised the BBB is not responsible to us supply leads. There was never any information on how to find leads though. So to try and find 100 leads to call in a day and make 100 calls is not possible!

The leads the BBB uses are outdated and inaccurate. But they keep deleting leads and buying the same ones loading them in and wasting money instead of archiving leads that have information on them stating Out of Business or Do Not Solicit. Even 2 months later after marking a file to Do Not Solicit the file is still out there. Even though a notification is sent to the ops dept. Nothing is done.

The lack of customer service for the current Accredited Businesses makes getting and keeping a sale even harder when people are calling several times to have their profiles updated and no one is calling them back for days or weeks. I had 1 gentleman call me 4 times over a 2 week period saying he still hadn’t gotten a call back after I spoke with a management twice. They said they would personally call him and never did. It’s hard enough to get sales on a horrible product, but if you have an extreme lack of customer service there is no way to retain the current clients.

Management has no idea how to keep morale up or what morale is. Coming over to sales at 8:30am yelling what are your phones broken or getting nasty emails from the Communications dept. about “I’m going to come over and Olivia Pope you”. That doesn’t boost morale just makes people irritated. It doesn’t get people wanting to do anything for management or the company. Bullying should not be happening in the work place. They also brought in a seasoned sales person from who was supposedly a motivational speaker...I left thinking WOW, she is so depressing and nothing about what she said was motivating. All she did was bash us, and trash talk, if you don't want to be here don't, if you don't like it here leave...Some people had been with the company for a few days, myself only a couple weeks. We were all still learning the ropes and this is what we are listening to. We were expecting to hear all the good things and tips and tricks. That was far from what we were told.

The management makes the atmosphere so miserable. You ask for assistance and all you get is attitude.

You can’t have an HR manager also be a sales manager. There is a total conflict of interest. When you have a problem with your manager you have no one to go to and when you do you get reprimanded for going to someone else in management for support.

The BBB is supposed to be looking for Ethical Businesses. All you need is a credit card and no gov't actions.

Looking at businesses that have A+ ratings, it would seem that the Better Business Bureau is supporting either directly or indirectly Puppy Mills and associated businesses like Pet Stores and Kennels selling these Puppy Mill dogs from all over the U.S. The BBB doesn't go onsite and verify ANY information they just take what the client says and publishes it.

Why are there not more questions asked of all businesses and then verified? Were any of these businesses asked to show proof of purchase of a puppy from an actual reputable breeder? Has anyone verified the information they are giving their clients is accurate? No, the BBB states it doesn't guarantee accuracy.

It doesn't matter what's accurate info upon your statement to consumers. " As a matter of policy, BBB does not endorse any product, service or business. BBB Business Reviews are provided solely to assist you in exercising your own best judgment. Information in this BBB Business Review is believed reliable but not guaranteed as to accuracy"

Our script to a client is the BBB is looking for Ethical businesses consumers can trust.

So BBB Accreditation has no merit or value. What are we selling if you're saying an Accreditation is just information published but there is no real accuracy. Why should anyone pay the BBB money to publish a business review that a consumer can't consider accurate information or a business you stand behind, and they should make their own decision not based on anything published by the BBB?

If you are telling the business owner you're looking for businesses a consumer can trust when you don't even trust the business you're giving a rating to based upon your statement to consumers.

How can anyone to take the rating of the BBB as meaning anything? If a client replies to the complaint they are free and clear even if they commit murder, as long as they respond to the complaint and do what they are supposed to they are clear and their rating goes right back up.

I would never recommend anyone I know to get accredited the only valid info on their site is reviews and if a complaint has been filed.

Management lacks presence, knowledge and tact.