Better Business Bureaus

Add Photos

Stephen A. (Steve) Cox

Business Relations (sales)

Business Relations (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsHours are great , CEO is wonderful, family type feel, high commission rate

ConsThe sales department is a revolving door. They promise 50k+ in your first year- expect 30-35 if that. Very little training so you better be ready to figure it out on your own. Here is a phone, good luck!

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should try to help the salespeople succeed, other than providing a computer. A little support would go a long way.

Horrible place to work

Sales (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsHour lunch; set hours - off at 4:30 everyday

ConsWhat WASN'T wrong with this place would be an easier question... To start, I was mislead from the beginning about the pay (I'm sure this does not happen to everyone but it did to me). I was under the impression that I would be getting a base pay (which was a pathetic $8/hr) PLUS commission. However it was conveniently not mentioned to me that our commission was a PULL from our base pay. Which meant that we had to make about 7 sales per month before we would make more than minimum wage. And making even ONE sale is extremely difficult. I was told in the beginning that they had a 400% turnover rate the previous year, which should have been a huge red flag... They tell you that you have to make at least 100 calls per day, which mostly consist of people hanging up in your face or yelling at you and/or cursing you out before hanging up in your face. The whole operation is so misleading and deceitful its ridiculous. In your script they make it sound to these companies that you're calling them because they're special or because they're "the best", but in reality, all you're doing is flipping either through a phone book, junk mail advertisements delivered to you by mail (which they suggested that you bring in from home -- "if they can afford to advertise, they can afford accreditation"), or from a list of thousands of business which print out in alphabetical order for you everyday, and cold calling these places. All of these businesses have been called over and over (which explains their frustration when YOU call). One of the set rebuttals to use during these calls told us to say that it is not a sales call, which is 100% untrue. Another told us to say that we do not solicit accreditation which could not be further from a complete bold faced lie. Exactly what we were doing every time we picked up the phone was calling these places to SOLICIT and hopefully SELL accreditation. The jobs of those in the sales department were constantly being threatened if enough sales were not made, which made the environment even more unpleasant than the miserable job already made it. I did not know much about the BBB before I worked there, but after being on the inside, I have nothing more than utter disgust for this place. I would not recommend anyone ever work here or any business ever BUY (yes buy, because accreditation is not EARNED) accreditation. Not to mention that nobody cares about the Better Business Bureau anymore.... In keeping up with the changing times, which the BBB has failed to do, there are many other ways to read reviews on a company, which are free for the consumer AND the company. I give this place another 5 years before its non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to remain in business, develop a new strategy

Unprofessional upper management

Business Relations Specialist (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsNice co-workers, free coffee & sometimes food

ConsMicro management, high turnover. I worked here for less then 2 months and I was the 7th person to leave in my department. Instead of investing in their current employees they just hire new ones so you know your time there is limited which creates a stressfull and uncomfortable situation. I had just started working there and they had fired someone and I had to sit in my cube and watch them pack her up and escort her out of the building. Very uncomfortable.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more into your current employees. Don't compare them and expect them to bring in sales at the same rate as people who have been there for 8 years.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business Relations Backfire

Business Relations Representative (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsCool coworkers. Great benefits. Flex-schedule. No OT.

ConsScript. Old leads. Training not sufficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementWrite-ups and cutting wages will not motivate...it will create turnover and low morale. Three new employees start and are all gone after a month? Something's not right, don't you think?

Not The Place To Hang Your Boots On The Wall

Busimess Relations (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOffice Flexibility- 100yr recognizable Brand-great for Resume

ConsOffice is full of Silos- Company Culture is ancient and depressing due to wages it pays- Management isn't interested in changing- New hired management is only interested in bottom line #- and this is supposed to be a non-profit- They continue to try and make the Business Relations position a telemarketing position- Operations and Sales don't mesh well, which causes issues within departments. Takes operations 2 Months to approve business submitted for commission- NO HR DEPARTMENT

Advice to Senior ManagementElect Team leaders- Boost office morale with merit system- Hold managers accountable for statements made and positions held- HIRE AN HR DEPARTMENT FOR THE EMPLOYEES SAFETY AND FOR THE EMPLOYEE TO HAVE A VOICE-

Great culture and mission, but not a good job.

Business Development Representative (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat people and culture

ConsLow pay, high expectations,

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your business model to fit in with the times

Great Company

Marketing Analytics (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsLove being in a tight knit environment

ConsThe work is mostly volunteer work, but it is still satisfying.

Don't think for one minute that this is a good opportunity.

Business Relations Specialist (Former Employee) Fort Wayne, IN

ProsYou feel great about yourself at first, because your helping your community become stronger thru its small business owners.

ConsSharkTank. In one word, that is how the sales rooms are run. To make it more colorful, it's a straight telemarketing job. Owners who have seen the 20/20 episodes, will SCREAM at you, that you work for a conartist, and to quit your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you know what your staff is doing, and who they are selling accredidations to. There are tons of N. IN members who are unlicensed contractors, have never paid taxes, etc... and these are all things that the 'investigation' team is supposed to make sure doesn't happen, but hey, no new members, no paychecks...so they just shove them thru.

Outdated

Marketing/Charity Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood idea overall for a company

ConsOutdated and too much national bureaucracy to adapt to changing market

Advice to Senior ManagementMake an app. Connect to social media sources. Make it more convenient to review companies

Nice people

Business Development Representative (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsIt was very good training

ConsIt was a challenge to sell the product

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove BBB's reputation

Worked for Better Business Bureaus? Contribute to the Community!