Better Business Bureaus

Updated February 5, 2015
Updated February 5, 2015
2.1

Stephen A. (Steve) Cox

Pros
  • Hours are great , CEO is wonderful, family type feel, high commission rate (in 2 reviews)

• good internship overall, decent level of responsibility, nice co-workers, new interactions each day (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor compensation and no room for advancement (in 3 reviews)

• Micro management, high turnover (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

great Workplace, awesome internship. Thanks so much!

Former Employee - Mediator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Mediator in New York, NY

I worked at Better Business Bureaus part-time (less than a year)

Pros

All the employees are very friendly and the work environment is great. Its not too big so everyone knows each other on the floor. The day doesnt seem too long and the location is great. Right on 34st. A lot of good places to eat.
    Interning here was a great time and a lot of experience was gained on how to deal in a fast paced environment. Its great if you are going into law and are into arbitration and mediation.

Cons

No challenges it was a fun environment, very positive and fast paced. make sure you are good at multi tasking and answering phone calls and emails.

Disgusted

Former Employee - Executive Sales Consultant in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Executive Sales Consultant in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Better Business Bureaus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Pay
    Good Benefits
    Major Holiday paid

Cons

They Give you training for 3 days then put you on the phone .when went to management for question or asked for help , not there for you , had to make 85-100 calls a day no support then if u don't make sale they are mad , asked them after 2 weeks if they was listening to calls management admitted they wasn't , promised one to one feedback never happened . was let go after a month being there .. OF COURSE THERE WAS NO TRAINING. Part of Management was Related to each other , and only looked out for sales person they referred

Suppose to be teamwork . Hire a Manager that care of there coworkers to help them succeed

Worst place I have worked in over 25 years - Unethical

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Better Business Bureaus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits was the only good thing I can say about the company.

Cons

I can only speak to the Marlboro, MA location.

Management has a lack of respect for employees, and even picks on and bullies employees in front of everyone. A manager told one staff member she needs 8 more sales in a day or she will be fired. Never once saying the same thing to other employees who had less sales and the same quota. It's always the same people that are picked on. When everyone has the same goals.

When mgmt is asked a question and they don't respond and if you go to another manager, your manager reprimands you for going to another manager.

If you have a computer issue and send an email to your manager you will get no response. They do not even have an IT dept who can help.

If you are out sick and send an email you get no response even 48 hours later.

There is a complete conflict of interest. The HR manager is also the sales manager. The lack of system knowledge on how to use the proprietary software and therefore you are read from a manual during training. You get No hands on training. You are then sent to a desk to figure it out for yourself.

This is by far the most disorganized company I have ever worked for. I’m embarrassed to list BBB on my resume and I will not be listing it on my resume or on my LinkedIn.

In training they push all the Free items, then, when you get on the phones they change their tune. Saying you’re not supposed to mention the free items. So which is it? Well it depends on the employee. They will say on the floor to one employee you are not to say that and another employee they praise for doing the same thing. They do not treat people the same.

There is a severe lack of communication. They expectation of making 100 calls per day but find your own leads, as we were told is ludicrous. We were advised the BBB is not responsible to us supply leads. There was never any information on how to find leads though. So to try and find 100 leads to call in a day and make 100 calls is not possible!

The leads the BBB uses are outdated and inaccurate. But they keep deleting leads and buying the same ones loading them in and wasting money instead of archiving leads that have information on them stating Out of Business or Do Not Solicit. Even 2 months later after marking a file to Do Not Solicit the file is still out there. Even though a notification is sent to the ops dept. Nothing is done.

The lack of customer service for the current Accredited Businesses makes getting and keeping a sale even harder when people are calling several times to have their profiles updated and no one is calling them back for days or weeks. I had 1 gentleman call me 4 times over a 2 week period saying he still hadn’t gotten a call back after I spoke with a management twice. They said they would personally call him and never did. It’s hard enough to get sales on a horrible product, but if you have an extreme lack of customer service there is no way to retain the current clients.

Management has no idea how to keep morale up or what morale is. Coming over to sales at 8:30am yelling what are your phones broken or getting nasty emails from the Communications dept. about “I’m going to come over and Olivia Pope you”. That doesn’t boost morale just makes people irritated. It doesn’t get people wanting to do anything for management or the company. Bullying should not be happening in the work place. They also brought in a seasoned sales person from who was supposedly a motivational speaker...I left thinking WOW, she is so depressing and nothing about what she said was motivating. All she did was bash us, and trash talk, if you don't want to be here don't, if you don't like it here leave...Some people had been with the company for a few days, myself only a couple weeks. We were all still learning the ropes and this is what we are listening to. We were expecting to hear all the good things and tips and tricks. That was far from what we were told.

The management makes the atmosphere so miserable. You ask for assistance and all you get is attitude.

You can’t have an HR manager also be a sales manager. There is a total conflict of interest. When you have a problem with your manager you have no one to go to and when you do you get reprimanded for going to someone else in management for support.

The BBB is supposed to be looking for Ethical Businesses. All you need is a credit card and no gov't actions.

Looking at businesses that have A+ ratings, it would seem that the Better Business Bureau is supporting either directly or indirectly Puppy Mills and associated businesses like Pet Stores and Kennels selling these Puppy Mill dogs from all over the U.S. The BBB doesn't go onsite and verify ANY information they just take what the client says and publishes it.

Why are there not more questions asked of all businesses and then verified? Were any of these businesses asked to show proof of purchase of a puppy from an actual reputable breeder? Has anyone verified the information they are giving their clients is accurate? No, the BBB states it doesn't guarantee accuracy.

It doesn't matter what's accurate info upon your statement to consumers. " As a matter of policy, BBB does not endorse any product, service or business. BBB Business Reviews are provided solely to assist you in exercising your own best judgment. Information in this BBB Business Review is believed reliable but not guaranteed as to accuracy"

Our script to a client is the BBB is looking for Ethical businesses consumers can trust.

So BBB Accreditation has no merit or value. What are we selling if you're saying an Accreditation is just information published but there is no real accuracy. Why should anyone pay the BBB money to publish a business review that a consumer can't consider accurate information or a business you stand behind, and they should make their own decision not based on anything published by the BBB?

If you are telling the business owner you're looking for businesses a consumer can trust when you don't even trust the business you're giving a rating to based upon your statement to consumers.

How can anyone to take the rating of the BBB as meaning anything? If a client replies to the complaint they are free and clear even if they commit murder, as long as they respond to the complaint and do what they are supposed to they are clear and their rating goes right back up.

I would never recommend anyone I know to get accredited the only valid info on their site is reviews and if a complaint has been filed.

Management lacks presence, knowledge and tact.

PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW, WRITTEN BY A BUSINESS PROFESSIONAL

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Better Business Bureaus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay rate (for Business Development Consultants)
    Attractive benefits package
    Most holidays and observances paid

Cons

Marlborough, MA office:

All levels of Management - by far the most unengaged, neglectful, non-supportive, and mean-spirited bunch I've ever experienced. You have to experience it first hand to actually believe it.

Poor and bare minimal "training" (if you want to call it that) for Business Development Consultants.

Proprietary database is poorly designed, non-user friendly and NO internal tech support. The system freezes, is sluggish and literally stops working for 30, or more, minutes at a time. It was necessary for me personally to reboot my system at minimum, twice daily. When an issue arises, no manager is going to assist you, due to the fact they have no system experience or knowledge. Keep in mind, all your quotas must be met (nearly impossible with a dysfunctional system).

Business Development Leads - hardly leads. The "leads" are recycled from one rep to another, continuously (including those marked as Not Interested, Do Not Solicit, Out of Business, etc. etc.). After one day of calling, you discover most business owners have such DISDAIN (the feeling that someone or something is unworthy of one's consideration or respect) for the BBB, threatening if the BBB doesn't take them OFF their solicitation list, they will take legal action.

BBB Accreditation - It's not complicated - if you are willing to provide your business credit card or checking account information over the phone, you are approved, it's as simple as that, period.

Competition - BBB is old, outdated and dying. Competitors are treating their employees with respect, providing a valued service and getting much better results!

There is such a desperate need for board members to investigate internal management behaviors throughout the BBB organization. If done, I think they would be appalled, and only then would positive changes take place, potentially saving the BBB from becoming obsolete. Integrity, Respect, and TRUST - for whom?

A Ship Without a Rudder.

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Better Business Bureaus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

*As each BBB is run independently, I can only speak of my experience in the Marlborough, Massachusetts branch*
    -Philosophically the mission statement of the BBB, to create a more ethical environment between businesses and consumers, is an admirable one and a great selling point.
    -Great benefits: 3 weeks paid vacation, most major holidays paid-off, no weekends.
    -Solid hourly wage plus bonuses. $19.23/hr.

Cons

Quite literally everything else...
    -The "training" is hardly that. They throw people on the phones who are unprepared after only three or four days, of which almost none is dedicated to actual sales training, and the results are poor. Combine that with no actual sales manager, no 1 on 1's or supplementary training and the turnover rate is extreme.
    -Horrible leads, many of which are found to be out of business, the wrong phone number or not even a business at all. Sales reps expected to make 85-100 phone calls per day and they usually end up pestering businesses by calling them multiple times. Also in that time you are supposed to source your own leads with virtually no training on best practices. One manager would literally dump the hotel pamphlets you pick up at your local gas station on our desks and claim she "distributed leads".
    -Businesses are led to believe that only the most "honest and reputable businesses" are allowed to become Accredited but literally any business that has been functioning for a year, has proper licensing and no major complaints can become Accredited. The small number who DO agree to become Accredited are then hit up for more money for "sponsored listings" after the fact.

-BBB is an organization that clearly let the Internet Age sneak up on them as they are losing major traction to websites like Yelp, TripAdvisor, HomeAdvisor, Angie's List. They have plummeted down the Alexa rankings for website traffic while their competition is improving. As such, they are scrambling to catch up but have no clear direction.
    -The management in this branch is fractured and seemingly aloof. Rather than continuing to hire and fire people in droves, perhaps a look inward would be helpful as many of the problems are systemic. Hire a sales manager.
    -When your expected success rate is less than 1% as a sales wing, something is amiss. Divide the enormous territory of this branch among your reps to provide better structure.

Disjointed - Seemed all departments clashed with each other thus leaving the members at a loss in using services

Former Employee - Accreditation Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Accreditation Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Better Business Bureaus

Pros

Attractive incentive for membership sales however not attainable

Cons

Although incentive was attractive, not feasible to get past the thresh hold to achieve. Public has a horrible perception of the Non-profit Organization. Behind the times in technology

Get current with Technology... Do not let VP sell against the Sales staff.

Guess I am the exception

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Better Business Bureaus

Pros

Potential for very high pay, great mission, very strong name recognition when going into a call. I have worked for the BBB for 7 years as a 100% commission sales person, and can easily clear 50-60k a year in my sleep. It is a tough job, but I see so many awful reviews, I had to step in. Maybe my office is the exception, but the BBB has grown me as a person and set the stage for me to make $100k+ with a new company. The experience gained all these years cold calling and being able to throw that on a resume made me an instant hot target for companies. Use the BBB as a great stepping stone to a high caliber sales position.

And to the ones that say the BBB will accredit anyone that pays.... YEAH RIGHT. Tell that to my application for $6000 that got denied because they would not remove the line "We provide the best mortgage rates in the USA". Yeah, they told the company to walk with their $6k. I spend a lot of time selling companies on just MAKING WEBSITE CHANGES. Come sit in my seat and tell me the BBB takes money for Accredited Status and A+ ratings.

Cons

The 100% commission (for some), but hey, a REAL sales person wants that. Not evolving with the times. Hurt reputation because of Los Angeles BBB office.

Pay your management positions better. Real talent should be paid accordingly.

Every Bureau is different, my experience at this particular Bureau has been for the most part extremely positive.

Current Employee - Business Relations Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Business Relations Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Better Business Bureaus

Pros

Great community service. The people who work at this particular Bureau are all committed to making a difference in the community. The CEO is extremely generous... with extra days off and leaving hours early for holiday weekends, also generous with pay and bonuses. The department I work in is very team oriented... everyone applauds each other on sales.

Cons

Some of the systems that are in place don't work as well as they could and changing anything takes a long time because (in some cases) it has to go through a few board of directors meetings. For example, if a company responds to a recent complaint and resolves it, they can still have a very poor rating because there is an old complaint that they are unaware of that was never answered... the system is not set up to catch these... I feel this is unfair to these companies.

The way the website works is confusing... even to me. My opinion about this is dismissed...

BBB should be advertising how easy it is to find top of the line BBB Accredited companies to hire and FOR FREE.. and how they can now also read reviews on these companies on the BBB Business Reviews. The BBB is advertising how they thought of the idea first and how long they've been doing it... so what. If I'm a company I want to know how you're going to bring business my way... and if I'm a consumer I want to know what business you can refer to me and in a quick and easy to find manner.

Very unethical and disorganized. Incompetent management and lack of vision.

I have been working at Better Business Bureaus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent work hours, holiday parties, very small 401k match, great co-workers.

Cons

All about the money, they don't care if a company is a scam when they accredit, very low pay, absent CEO. Nonuniform practices at different offices, disorganized, difficult working environment dealing with angry people on the phone all day. Discriminatory employment practices.

Each BBB office is a different company so each BBB does its own thing, which means from a national standpoint consumers can expect varying experiences interacting with BBB. Some are good, some are bad, some are garbage. This lack of uniformity however leaves a bad taste in the publics mouth because they are so different.

The CEO makes 6 figures while employees are on food stamps and welfare. Constantly loading new duties on people's backs without compensating appropriately. Employees are not treated as assets but just replaceable robots.

CEO is basically never present. She's too busy "hanging out" with the board of directors to keep her cush job and salary. Very greedy, knows the company is accrediting scam companies and does not care or tells employees to sweep it under the rug when people start questioning. It has become all about the bottom line and not about the mission.

They hire sketch employees in the sales department and do not do any background checks. We've had a few sales reps get fired for drugs and alcohol related problems. Also I was sexually harassed by another employee and the CEO declined to terminate him due to his high sales performance (again, greed).

CEO is openly racist and makes discriminatory comments towards non-white employees.

The work environment is very rough because you are dealing with disgusting people on the phone all day who show no respect and use foul and abusive language. The public image of BBB is so controversial that working here may hinder your future if you use it on your resume.

Overall I would not recommend working here. The pay is very low and the environment is stressful and toxic. You will gain weight and become depressed working here. There are better entry level jobs available to those trying to gain workplace experience. With BBB being so controversial it may be best to just stay away. If you do end up working here, don't take the job seriously because at the end of the day all management cares about is how much money they are making.

Pay your employees what they are worth and crack down on rogue BBB's ruining the system. Stop accrediting scam companies. Focus on the mission instead of the bottom line and everything will fall into place.

Current employee

Current Employee - Current Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Better Business Bureaus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance. You work 9-5, Monday - Friday. Located in River North which is nice. The building is nice, decent cafeteria.

Cons

There is no true leader of the company. Too many people try to call shots and make changes. There is no major plan, more like throw everything at a wall and see what sticks.

They take advantage of good employees by giving them entirely too many tasks, which in the end pushes them out the door. This is a constant pattern, continually pushing others tasks on to other people.

If you want your employees to work for you and to stay with the company, pay them more. Give bonuses/real incentives when someone does something good. You can't expect your lower level employees to accept and be happy with a low salary when it is apparent that upper management is making much much bigger salaries. You can't continue to hide behind the excuse "we're non-profit" when you operate like a corporation.