Bickford Senior Living

Mike Eby

1. Not a bad company, but had some issues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Bickford Senior Living (More than a year)

Pros

Comfortable surroundings, friendly staff,

Cons

Director needs to learn how to talk to staff, he brought in his staff from old job, now they think they know more than the staff that's been working there for years. This is really a sore shot for staff. Change is good but not when it puts more stress and work load on your staff.

Advice to Management

Sensitivity training, hr training for managers.

2. OMT

Current Employee - OMT in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - OMT in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Bickford Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small home like environment, wonderful residents and family memebers

Cons

Under staffed, constant change in management, no appreciation for staff memebers that pick up extra shifts to help cover staffing gaps. Residents who nonlonger meet assisted living criteria.

Director

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Bickford Senior Living full-time

Pros

The residents. The buildings/facilities are decent compared to others in the industry at least in my town. There are a few of the care staff that have committed themselves to this as a career and go above and beyond.

Cons

In my last years, almost the entire district management staff left or were let go...marketing, administration, RNs, etc. Almost all of these landed on their feet and seem to be much happier in their subsequent employment. This just reinforces how bad an environment that Bickford has become at a management/ownership level. I'd hoped that this would be a company that put residents first but sadly it does not...profit, metrics, numbers, etc all trump care. How long will branch management and care staff be forced to make due with less? And upper management and ownership infrequently 'helicopter' in to deliver their latest decree. Pay is not competitive enough for care staff to hire and retain the top skilled people.

Advice to Management

A huge ego check is needed. There is a massive disconnect between the care staff and the ownership and it is devastating to morale.

5. CNA

Former Employee - Nebraska in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Nebraska in Omaha, NE

I worked at Bickford Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company and loved the small size. I had a great manager and really felt she listened to what I had to say. I had a good trainer so I felt prepared.

Cons

At times could be stressful working with residents with memory issues. Good training but need more when hired in dealing with residents families.

Advice to Management

Better pay and more hours. Update locations furniture and decorations. Seems dated compared to all of the new places opening.

Great community but understaffed

Former Employee - CNA in Portage, MI
    Former Employee - CNA in Portage, MI

I worked at Bickford Senior Living

Pros

Community, coworkers, bonuses, awesome residents

Cons

salary, understaffed,management was hard to talk to

Advice to Management

be a little more personable towards employees

I do not recommend this place to my worse enemy

Former Employee - CNA
    Former Employee - CNA

I worked at Bickford Senior Living part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not sure what to write here honestly very difficult to find something

Cons

Some Cnas think they run the place and try to micromanage. Management will not correct any problems that you address with them. Management sits in the private dinning room eatting for a majority of the day having "meetings" well they watch rest of staff (Cnas) run around Doing laundry, cleaning, doing dishes, answering calls, and what little time is left to try to take care of residents. Assistant director has very little clue as to what to do and some employees will try to get others fired or in trouble. A lot of drama and I never look forward to going in to work. If you want a job where you are there to take care of people don't come here. Your job is filled with housework and being pulled in a million directions. Also when someone passes there main concern is how fasts can they get someone else in the room so the occupancy is full and they get a bonus

Advice to Management

It's not all about having rooms filled. Respect your employees especially the loyal ones! Instead of your lunch meetings get up and help its not that hard! Reduce your expectations on Cnas and other staff and put more onto your small list of things to do ...

Experience is one of the only benefits

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse

I have been working at Bickford Senior Living full-time

Pros

Some coworkers genuinely care about residents and providing for their care. The hourly rate isn't the worst when compared to other assisted living facilities. The residence is newer and, with a little sprucing up, could be quite lovely.

Cons

Some coworkers mock and demean residents, then hide in bathrooms and the break room to avoid answering resident call lights or perform other duties. Residence management is abysmal; they consistently gossip and speak poorly of staff, withhold support and supplies in the name of "fiscal prudence," forgo training of support staff in order to get new hires on the floor which is necessary due to extremely high turnover (four nurses and two CNAs in less than two months). Daily business practices emphasize filling rooms rather than providing care to residents already living in the facility. Expectations of support staff are absurdly unrealistic (i.e. expecting nurses to perform med passes while providing personal care to residents and performing dining room duties)... I could go on, but I won't because I'm honestly too exhausted from working six shifts in four days.

Advice to Management

It isn't worth giving advice because it will only fall on deaf ears. The director of the residence is unprofessional and would repeat her mantra "If you don't like working for me, there's the (expletive) door."

9. Long working hours, multiple interruptions unable to comeplete all tasks in expected time frame.

Former Employee - RN COORDINATOR in Macomb, IL
    Former Employee - RN COORDINATOR in Macomb, IL

I worked at Bickford Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Residents are the only benefit.

Cons

If you don't have support of your director staff will not comply. Unprofessional environment where tattling is encouraged by director.

Advice to Management

Too much power is given to the Director. There is more to worry about rather than if building is full

10. This job is what you make of it. They give you the tools and you have a great team to be a part of!

I have been working at Bickford Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love my job and feel I have the tools and support to get my job done. We have an amazing team!

Cons

Corporate office needs more help they expect few people to do the work of many. Things would get done faster and more efficiently if the right people were in place.

Advice to Management

Get additional help at the corporate level. Turn around on projects would be faster. Develop a war scale!

Their is one Chef in the kitchen to work a 12 hour shift, they are doing breakfast, lunch, and dinner with no help.

Former Employee - Cook in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Cook in Marietta, GA

I worked at Bickford Senior Living

Pros

I personally cannot see any pros to this job, Maybe the health insurance.

Cons

This is just modern day slavery...if you want to work your butt off, non-stop for 12 hours, with no help in the kitchen, then this is your cotton field.

Advice to Management

Have a team in the kitchen instead of making one person do all the work!!

RSS Feed </> Embed