Bickford Senior Living

Updated January 8, 2015
Updated January 8, 2015
2.2

Mike Eby

This job is what you make of it. They give you the tools and you have a great team to be a part of!

I have been working at Bickford Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love my job and feel I have the tools and support to get my job done. We have an amazing team!

Cons

Corporate office needs more help they expect few people to do the work of many. Things would get done faster and more efficiently if the right people were in place.

Get additional help at the corporate level. Turn around on projects would be faster. Develop a war scale!

Their is one Chef in the kitchen to work a 12 hour shift, they are doing breakfast, lunch, and dinner with no help.

Former Employee - Cook in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Cook in Marietta, GA

I worked at Bickford Senior Living

Pros

I personally cannot see any pros to this job, Maybe the health insurance.

Cons

This is just modern day slavery...if you want to work your butt off, non-stop for 12 hours, with no help in the kitchen, then this is your cotton field.

Have a team in the kitchen instead of making one person do all the work!!

Working at Bickford taught me a lot about upper management

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bickford Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Get to work with great people in the branch and enjoy the seniors. Good pay and benefit package.

Cons

To many upper management giving directions and all directions are different. Upper management changes their minds on a daily basis on how things should be done. Not enough training. Say they are always there for you but seem to be in the business for financial reasons and not for taking the best care of their residents. HR won't back a director or RN up when termination of a employee is needed causing unrest among other employees.

Be more supportive of your directors. You seem to have a high turnover in Directors. More training for employees.

Cna

I have been working at Bickford Senior Living

Pros

The residents are amazing ! Some of the staff are great .

Cons

The expectations placed on the CNA is unrealistic. We are performing so many tasks that it takes away from the care of the residents. Upper management don't respect the staff.

Recognize that patient care is the #1 priority.

It was the worst place I've worked in my many years of experience

Former Employee - CNA
    Former Employee - CNA

I worked at Bickford Senior Living part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only good thing I can think of is the residents

Cons

Management is horrible and will short staff the Cna's. Everything is thrown on the Cna's to do. You are a cna ,waitress ,housekeeper ,activities assistant, and many more things. Management is to lazy to step up and do work so they'll throw it on the Cna's and they pick favorites based on who sucks up more. The pay rate is horrible for the amount of work that needs to be done. 10$ is not enough because all the residents belong in a nursing home. They treat the most loyal employees like their dirt.

Wake up and get a clue on how to run this place. You wonder why no one stays maybe learn to treat everyone with equal respect. I've never seen a business run so horribly. I would not recommend this place to anyone!!!

In need of consistant leadership

I have been working at Bickford Senior Living

Pros

Some of the staff and most of the residents

Cons

The inability to consistantly lead all the people the same. Different rules depending on who you are. Always short staffed. Taking people in that need to be in a nursing home so they can fill a room without taking the safety of the staff and the resident into consideration.expecting staff to wear to many hats so they dont have to spend more money on staff. I could go on but I wont.

Learn to controll your emotions talk to people professionally and not with attitude, pay more to keep the good ones.

The management is not very involved. the CNA's run the place and get away with murder.

I have been working at Bickford Senior Living

Pros

The company has great benefits.

Cons

The CNA's run the place and get away with murder.

Consider holding employees accountable for job performance.

It was a very nice atmosphere.They work with your schedule and try to help you out in any way they can!

Current Employee - CNA in Fort Dodge, IA
    Current Employee - CNA in Fort Dodge, IA

I have been working at Bickford Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Always help when you need it.

Cons

nothing! Great company to work for!

A lot of the workers are there as nursing students or LPN. It would be nice to have a continuing educations program.

Horrible management running this place into the ground!

I have been working at Bickford Senior Living

Pros

Decent pay and the benefits are ok if you just have them for yourself. The residents are by far the best part of the job

Cons

Pretty much everything.

Management wakes up and makes new rules when they feel like it. Always short staffed. Employees are very unhappy due to poor leadership. Lack of teamwork because of the quality of staff. No room for growth unless you brown nose and devote your life to this place. I have never worked for a more greedy and selfish company before. It's next to impossible to get out if bed and force myself to come here everyday. Staff is treated like dirt and never appreciated for our hard work. Director of the branch does payroll and screws people out of regular pay and overtime.

Review all management and set higher standards for hiring. Management should also leave payroll to corporate. This company needs some major change to become a place where people live their jobs and want to come to work.

Lovely Residents

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Bickford Senior Living

Pros

The residents are nice and appreciative.

Cons

Management inside the facility shows favoritism to poorly performing employees. If you are not in their clique, then you are discounted. Seniority means nothing, but brown-nosing goes a long way. They say we are all universal employees, but only nursing is held to that standard. Nursing is expected to wash dishes, bus tables, answer phones and doors, laundry, clean and what little time is left is for the residents. Residents that should be in skilled nursing. Employees are blamed for low census, but management and marketing are unable to perform within their job description to assist in filling the vacancies. Maintenance department unavailable for building needs such as carpet cleaning, odor elimination etc.

Corporate should re-evaluate the efficacy of the leadership team. This is the worse management that I have ever seen in my 10 years of experience. Start ensuring that ALL departments are being universal employees. Make sure the building becomes odor free, clean and pleasant. This may increase occupancy rates.