BidClerk Reviews

1. Tedious

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Greenwood Village, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at BidClerk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual attire, easy to sell product, fair sales goals, overrides on renewals, flexible hours and PTO.

Cons

There are a few real jerks that they continue to employ despite very poor behavior. Office often smells bad due to poor hygiene and eating habits of same guys. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Maybe take some of the more disruptive reps out or at least put them in the way back.

2. It's a little stressful, pretty boring, but the people who work there are great.

I have been working at BidClerk (More than a year)

Pros

The hours: 8-5 M-Th, 7:30-2:30 on Fridays
    You don't have to take any work home with you
    Really great co-workers, lots of creative ppl who do cool things after work and just need to pay the bills during the day
    Working downtown is nice - can go to Millennium Park or Daley Plaza for lunch when it's nice out; easy to get to on public transit
    The company just merged with isqft in Ohio and I think it's having a great impact on the office environment and the way upper management cares for their employees well-being as opposed to just wanting them to meet their numbers

Cons

Like I said, it can be very boring. It's a little tough to understand the purpose behind it and it's hard to self motivate. Additionally, it seems as though we are constantly being told we're not doing enough work or are making too many mistakes.

Advice to Management

You're headed in the right direction so I would say to keep learning how people work. Understand that encouragement works way better than hounding people for numbers. Build people up and they will work better. Discover your employees strengths and pull those out of them. Don't expect everyone to be the same....we're not!

3. Great first job coming out of college but don't look for a career!

I worked at BidClerk

Pros

You get a chance to work from home. If you do your job its easy to get your bonus with no pressure. Free pop everyday with beer keg in break room. Every Friday you can leave early.

Cons

No room for advancement. Rules and policies change by the day and they are inconsistent. Cant gain much experience and apply it to anything else. No raises and if you try to ask for one or try to move up in the company, they will find a way to let you go.

5. You do realize Bidclerk was merged and Gaynor is gone?

Current Employee - Reporter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Reporter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BidClerk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good people in research. We got to leave early on Fridays.

Cons

This company is merging with ISQFT and the bidclerk brand maybe gone as early as April 2015. There are many people in Denver and Chicago that will lose their jobs as everything is moved to ISQFT offices in places like Cincinnati. Bidclerk was merged because the investment bank was tired of pouring more money into BC. ISQFT was absorb Bidclerk. The owner ended up giving away all his equity to pour more money into a floundering company. Too many employees and WAY too many management positions - managers reporting to directors reporting to VPs. Mismanaged.

A lot of the reviews here were written by HR/management. No one writes “growing company with great benefits ” - it's absolutely NOT a growing company other than spending MORE money to make less money. "hard work pays off" - are you kidding me? No employee writes that stuff. We were told we were not allowed to write reviews here - basically because the real reviews are so bad.

There were a lot of upper management who had no business being in their position. This was the biggest down fall. Good old BOY network. There was a lot of bad behavior.

Anway the same investment bank who took over Bidclerk already owns most of ISQFT and they are sick of Bidclerks finances - hence the merg.

Advice to Management

Start providing real wages. Find ways to promote people who actually deserve it. Not your buddy. get rid of the trouble makers.

6. growing company with great benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BidClerk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bidclerk has provided me with a fantastic work environment for two plus years. I agree that compensation could be improved, but keep in mind that a high number of positions within the company are considered Entry Level. That being said, I’ve gained valuable skills - daily communication with industry professionals, account management experience, general phone/communication skills, self motivation, and time management. I’ve also learned an incredible amount about the industry itself. I find it very rewarding that BidClerk always promotes from within. If you produce quality work and have a good attitude, you will be interviewed for positions that you show interest in (whether that be a promotion or switching to a different department). Another positive is that BidClerk is a small company that is growing. If employees have opinions or suggestions on improvements, they are always heard and taken into consideration by management. Yes, there are hiccups here and there as with any company that is expanding. In order for a company to grow, responsibilities and roles will always be changing.

There are a variety of health care options that are extremely affordable when compared with other companies. Office is in a great location. Early release at 2:30 every Friday. Employees are very social/get along well. Never have to take work home with you

Its sad to see that some of the reviews are so negative when there are people at this company who really care and put forth a great effort on creating a quality product. Puzzled as to why those with such poor opinions have not taken their talents elsewhere?

Cons

401k matching
    Compensation
    Work can be repetitive.

Advice to Management

Work on communication to all levels/departments. Execute employee reviews in a more timely manner.

7. Could have been worse but could've been a lot better.

Current Employee - Research Reporter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Research Reporter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BidClerk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health insurance. Consistent pay and hours. Holiday parties. Meeting new people at work. Location is good and easy to get to by train.

Cons

As a first job out of college this is ok but don't expect to be here for long. Pay is not great and the work atmosphere gets depressing. I kinda of felt like it was high school. You must go to lunch at a specific time and it can turn into gossip central. Rules were inconsistent and it was hard to hit your goals when economy is bad.
    No room for growth and very limited advancement.

8. Hard Work Pays Off

I have been working at BidClerk full-time

Pros

I have been reporting at BidClerk for over two years and am surprised at what is being said especially from current employees. Some of the more recent reviews showcase lack of maturity and leave me with the feeling that some of these reviewers have a sense of entitlement. When you're right out of school, you expect the world to be handed to you. We've all been there. But, reality is you have to work hard and will be rewarded once you put some time and energy in.

This is a growing company which means there are going to be a lot of changes, sometimes over a short period of time. You must role with the punches and not be so quick to whine about it. Mid-management is great - I've worked on a couple different teams and they're great to work for. This is a young environment overall (22-32 average age) and they really do care that their staff is happy. I had a couple jobs prior to working here and believe me, you think grass is always greener on the other side but it truly is less than often the case. I'm not saying this is the perfect place to work but I've seen it here -- if you have a good attitude, it is noticed and if you work hard you put yourself in line to be promoted.

I've never had a feeling that upper management doesn't care about the good of the staff. There isn't a ton of interaction between them and us but they have a job to do. To whoever said if you're a woman run far away.....that's over the top. There are female managers, many promoted in the last 6 months. They offer Cubs tickets in the summer, we have company parties every few months - they seem to care about company morale.

Pros - benefits: health/vision/dental with affordable options, paid time off is above average, 401k plans, 2:30 Fridays year round, you do not take work home, casual dress, easy to talk to management, if you're a hard worker you are pretty-self managed/not a lot of micromanaging

Cons

Cons - no 401k matching, work can be monotonous, more company outings/activities would be nice

9. Great work-life balance and laid back office environment

I have been working at BidClerk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The emphasis on work-life balance here is great. Shortened Fridays and you're never asked to take work home with you after hours. Days can be hectic and management will ask for a lot of effort from your time at the office, but work stays at work. Management has never been less than fair in my experience and are super accommodating regarding doctor's appointments, emergencies or anything else that may come up (kind of surprised by some of the negative comments in this department). Casual dress code. Laid-back friendly environment. Great benefits. Excellent vacation / holiday schedule. Also allow experienced employees who perform well to work from home.

Cons

Compensation could be better. However, if you have other aspirations on the side / sources of income it could ideal (i.e. artist, photographer, some freelance design work etc.). Communication can be more streamlined. Sometimes upper management can seem a bit divided on methodology and / or priorities. However, they're pretty accessible regarding feedback and are willing to address concerns (again, surprised by some of the negativity). They don't match 401k contributions, but I've heard that it's in the works.

Advice to Management

As stated above, I would encourage prioritizing matching 401k contributions. An HR handbook is sorely needed but will be arriving imminently. Some of the communication inconsistency is the direct result of customer demand, however, I think some of these developments would be better communicated in company-wide memos instead of relegated to middle management to communicate. Also, of course it would be great to offer more opportunities for pay increases.

10. Nope.

I worked at BidClerk

Pros

Young Scene. Get out early on Friday

Cons

Almost everything else. Just get your work done and leave.

Advice to Management

Have faith in your employees

11. Mediocrity

Current Employee - Bid Reporter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Bid Reporter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BidClerk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good central location downtown, young staff, casual workplace, decent benefits.

Cons

Poorly run company overall. Management and HR completely inept and unprofessional. Not to mention extremely reactive and punitive. Take these reviews for instance....upper mgmt is extremely paranoid about these and will conduct a full on witch hunt whenever a negative review is posted. They will then post two fake positive reviews rebuking each legit point made by actual employees. Take a look, the pattern is extremely obvious. This is just one example of how unprofessionally run this company is. Take a look at the differences in reviews for BC's competitors - Reed and McGraw Hill - first class companies all the way. These jokers aren't even in the same park.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead weight and bring some talented people on board. Pay your employees better and treat them with the respect they deserve. Quit trying to act like something you are clearly not, a first class company that treats it's people well.