BidClerk

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael Gaynor

Entry Level work

Bid Reporter (Former Employee)

I worked at BidClerk full-time

ProsThe office closes early on Fridays, extra days off during holiday the season, The work will not follow you home. Very Casual atmosphere with casual dress code. Nearly everyone is young that works here. Awesome office location in the Loop easily accessible via multiple forms of public transit.

ConsPay is mediocre, the benefits are okay, but very limited advancement opportunities. Continuously changing and sometimes conflicting goals. On the job skills limited and not very transferable.

A lot to learn.

I worked at BidClerk full-time

ProsThere is generally flexibility and no firm dress code. Fridays are short days. Great office location and the ability to work from home.

ConsI find a general lack of respect on all accounts at this company. Employees don't respect management and vice versa. The pay is mediocre and the opportunity for promotion is slim to none. The main office is small and rumors spread quickly. The attitude is one of apathy and boredom. People are only there to make money and go home. No one is invested in their work because, other than a paycheck to get by, they aren't getting anything out of it. Vacation time and benefits aren't bad but aren't great either.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are maybe 4 "senior" managers here (these being people who make important decisions). The rest are mid-level managers with absolutely no experience or proper education in managing people. Almost all mid-level management at Bidclerk started working there out of college and haven't left either because they are too unmotivated to find a better job and have worked there for longer than anyone or because they are brown nosers and were able to get "promoted." (Unfortunately, its mostly the former.) Train your management. Treat your employees like they're worth something to you. Spend more time determining the strengths of each employee and motivate them to be interested in trying harder. Give more challenging work and set expectations outside of just "making enough calls." Promote on merit and leadership skills and not tenure.

good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BidClerk

Prosnice pay...for being a phone sales jockey

Conspunish those few that are doing things the wrong way...not everyone

if you like predicability and consistency, then this place is for you

I worked at BidClerk full-time

Prosfriday you get out at 230 pm. employees are young so go to happy hour after work.

if you're a brown noser - welcome to a great place to work.

casual dress code.

really easy going on making up hours if you have doctors appointments during the day. holiday hours are good, too.

Conssame stuff, different day. emails are for some reason an outdated form of communication here, but phone calls are highly efficient. where are the pagers?

your phone calls are being tracked. they send out emails every hour of the work day to let you know if you are up to par or behind, but you are never up to par here. there is always room for improvement even if there is NOTHING MORE TO DO.

P.s. calls are worth more than your projects and the information you find.

web gc's don't count. nothing on the website counts. you have to hear it from the source on THE PHONE.... we're working back in 1983, ya'll.

you can't speak up. if you do, you may potentially lose your job and/or be shunned forever.
so, you're better off talking to yourself or making conversations with your contacts.

i'm not a brown noser.

no secret is safe here. unless you tell them you've found a new job.

never make any excuse as to why you should stay, or work here.

Advice to Senior Managementwere not robots. acknowledge us if you see us. dont look down on us as if were not supposed to be there. you wouldnt be where you are if it werent for us.

also, please be personable. you never know how much personality can make this working environment more tolerable.

we're not your children. don't treat us like children.

know what what you want out of your employees. if you're emphasizing on high valued projects, let that be one goal for the month. then change it up the next month - dont change it every single day.

This is a good job y'all!

Bid Reporter (Former Employee)

I worked at BidClerk full-time for more than a year

ProsI honestly don't understand why people have left such harsh reviews. Like every company, BidClerk has some faults, but my all-around, my year and a half at BidClerk was quite a positive experience, and I was sad to be leaving on my last day.

To those that have insulted their pay, you've clearly been very lucky before or need to learn how to budget yourself. I have a great degree and am a good worker, and have made far less at other jobs. Or I've made about the same for much more work. At BidClerk you make monthly bonuses based on productivity, so you have the potential to make more if you work hard and pick up work quickly. No, I wasn't able to put more than $50 or so in my savings account each month, but I also wasn't eating ramen. I think the pay was completely fair. Also, they have a 401K plan!

Casual work environment! Boy do I love wearing whatever I want (within reason) to work!

Easy work. As others have said, this work is pretty easy if you apply yourself and keep positive. You never have to take it home. Ever.

Getting out at 2:30 every Friday is a perk to be emphasized. They are also very generous with holidays and often let you go earlier or give you more days off than originally planned.

Nice Coworkers! People that work here are about 22-35 and are very friendly for the most part. I made lasting friendships here.

The upper management truly does want the employees to be happy. Do they care about numbers and push us to reach goals? Sure, because they're running a BUSINESS. But they do try to make it a tolerable work environment by throwing quarterly parties, giving bagels every friday and having almost weekly contests to win things like cubs tickets and Target gift cards.

Room for advancement. If you're smart, work hard and are friendly, they will promote you. And when management opportunities become available, they open up the application to everyone who works there.

The location! I personally LOVE working in the loop and loved that this office was right next to the Daley Plaza. There are constantly things going on there!

Good Benefits!

ConsAs others have said, the work can get quite monotonous, and some days are worse than others. But honestly, it depends on your attitude. If you complain constantly and think negatively, you're going to be miserable. If you realized that this is a decent job, albeit unchallenging, and try to look on the bright side, it won't bother you that much.

They will harp on you to reach certain numbers and goals, and often time become a little bit harsh about this if they think people aren't working hard enough. It's annoying, but hey, it's business.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only real advice to management is to trust your employees more. For those employees that have proved they're smart and work well, it's unnecessary to harp on them about certain goals or tell them how to do their job.

OK

Bid Clerk (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at BidClerk part-time for less than a year

ProsEasy job, doesn't take much to do.

ConsLow, low, low pay for employees

You'll be a clerk at BidClerk

Research Reporter (Former Employee)

I worked at BidClerk full-time for more than a year

ProsFree pop and half days on Friday. You really don't have to take your work home with you. There isn't much else worth mentioning. With the low pay, you will most definitely be eating much less than you are used to. It may get you to drop a few dress sizes.

ConsChurn and burn work environment. Low pay with very little chance for a meaningful promotion. Promotions mean you get extra responsibilities without an equal increase in pay. Conflicting work assignments from supervisors. If you tell your supervisor or HR anything in confidence, the entire company will know about it. You're expected to compete against Reed (Reed Elsevier) and Dodge (McGraw-Hill) but not compensated for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like you are in the same class as Reed and Dodge and instead, focus on treating your employees better. Stop touting how great and fast the company is growing when you refuse to compensate the front line staff that are responsible for that growth. Anyone that wants to grow their career will find themselves searching for much better companies. If you have a college degree, you can and should look elsewhere.

Great to start then nothing but downhill.

Inside Sales (Current Employee)
Littleton, CO

I have been working at BidClerk full-time

ProsNo Micro management on the sales floor, fun environment and good at what they offer there clients.

ConsLimited CRM abilities make it hard to do your job and benefit the company with upgrades. Low commission plan and low quality leads for inside sales. The company is always harder to hit numbers and decent commission percentages.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf a commission plans should fit the ability with in the CRM, don't expect retention with out giving your reps the ability to do so.

Good first job out of College

I worked at BidClerk full-time

Prosrelatively easy work, excellent benefits, good work environment and great co-workers, generally reasonable management, predictable hours, half-day fridays year-round, opportunity to advance.

BidClerk is a great company in many ways. For someone just graduating college, without a specialized degree, BidClerk can be very worthwhile. Your pay is reasonable, and you have plenty of time outside of work to do whatever it is you want to do.

ConsYou won't be saving much money, and the work isn't fascinating. Some of the reviews on here seem to be unfairly highlighting this. This is a standard office job and you aren't going to be stimulated for 8 hours every day. There are plenty of jobs around that offer the same satisfaction, but do not offer the benefits, hours, and general ease that BidClerk does. If you don't complain too much and just do your work you will be promoted. Rarely is someone hired from outside of the company for higher up positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has made some changes in the past year that have the potential to be good improvements. They really aren't apparent yet, but it is possible the day-to-day could become less monotonous and employees could be given more and more meaningful responsibilities. All in all, BidClerk is what it is. And it is pretty good at that.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Stay a way especially IT opportunities, this company is junk.

IT Job (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at BidClerk full-time for more than a year

ProsFree soda, leave early on Fridays

ConsHidden agenda, horrible communication, back stabbing, talking behind your back, no future growth. If you are an IT specialist find another place.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace your current IT management.

Worked for BidClerk? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BidClerk reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BidClerk CEO Michael Gaynor. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by BidClerk employees.