Biffa

Updated November 5, 2014
3.6

Biffa CEO Ian Wakelin
Ian Wakelin

Biffa not a rubbish company

Current Employee - Hgv2 Driver in Southampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Hgv2 Driver in Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Biffa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been working for Biffa now for 11 weeks. Before this time I was 18 years in the bus industry so I feel I can honestly say that this is all new to me.
    I feel very lucky to be working for Biffa Marchwood, my manager is a fantastic Gentleman who not only is approachable but will approach you just yo see how you are. My traffic team are very understanding and have gone out their way to help in anyway they can. The drivers have become friends, everyone is friendly and helpful and they all respect one another. I have revived fantastic training though still the odd mistake every now and then but I am only 11weeks in! The work is interesting, meeting new people everyday and have been allocated my own truck (RORO).
    The knowledgeable workshop staff are A1.
    Safety taken very seriously, if in doubt don't do it!
    A very happy place to work, well looked after fantastic managers, happy staff.

Cons

Very long hours 60 to 65hrs a week. Not much time for the family. A lot of waiting round for customers to open in the mornings. Some contracts just a little to far out and some runs can take 4 hours for one round trip just for one job.

Re consider the new pay scales, everyone works so hard and sometimes to do the most unpleasant jobs. Dividing staff will divide a workforce. We all help each other out, so why not keep everyone happy. We cover overtime not because we want to but to help out when and where we can. Sometimes going back to basic is the best solution. Other than that well done, and don't change.

got sacked for nowt

Former Employee - Sort Line in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sort Line in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I worked at Biffa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

non its a crap place to work

Cons

working hours had no life working here

better managment

Exciting

Current Employee - Production Operator in Horsham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Production Operator in Horsham, England (UK)

I have been working at Biffa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its a great company to work for. You get looked after with lots of benefits. Good pay and lots of chances to progress. Good schemes in place to train you up for roles that you would like to work for in the future

Cons

Lots of housekeeping which can get quite mundane but understand why it is a must.

Poor company to work for with little Appreciation for my 10 years service

Former Employee - Driver ( All Modes) in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Driver ( All Modes) in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Biffa full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

paid for my hgv and trained me in all Vehicle modes fel rel roro's skips hiab atc,
    Goods rates of pay and bonus holidays.

Cons

having now work 4 years at a rivel waste company i see how far behind biffa where, And how badly run biffa was and how they run up a 1 billion pound detp. spending money on routing software's that cause madness for two weeks only to go back to using the old routes,if i think back to the waste going to land was just Criminal over 50% cardboard some days.

look after your good driver or they go to a better run waste company FACT

Okay

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in High Wycombe, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in High Wycombe, England (UK)

I worked at Biffa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people in the office
    Good location

Cons

Since the company was taken over by green star it has got a lot better apparently.

more variety

Major steps forward

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in High Wycombe, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in High Wycombe, England (UK)

I have been working at Biffa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open access to management, flat structure, focussed business, 1st class colleagues, great brand and still a market leader. Generally, people know what's expected of them and the business is now pulling everyone in the right direction. Although large, the business still has a relatively family feel and if you have issues you want to share with Senior Management there is normally someone you can approach. Focus on Health and Safety is a massive plus with CEO and management team totally committed to keeping us safe in our working life.

Cons

Has had a difficult time over last few years but coming back strongly, press speculation over future is unsettling

Keep pressing on with current programme, actively engage the workforce, take a leading role in the industry

Biffa Photos

Biffa Waste Services in Cinderford (Photo thanks to Geograph user Jaggery, Some Rights Reserved)
Biffa Waste site (Photo thanks to Geograph user Steve Fareham, Some Rights Reserved)
Exit from Biffa Waste Services Ltd premises, New Inn (Photo thanks to Geograph user Jaggery, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo