Big 5

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steven G. Miller

Pros:
  • "Friendly co-workers, very flexible scheduling, work is easy"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Flexible hours, and plenty of them if you have the availability"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Required to where a shirt and tie when doing manual labor"
    in 8 reviews
  • "typical starting wage is minimum wage"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sales Associate

Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Big 5 part-time for less than a year

Prosflexible hours, cool coworkers management

Conspoor hours constantly cutting of hours

Advice to Senior Managementhire less people reward hardworking employees

worked there part time for 2 years had an outstanding review but never got anything for it

Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee)

I worked at Big 5 part-time for more than a year

Prosnice people depending where you work

Consstand a lot, short breaks

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Big 5 part-time for less than a year

ProsPeople, learn about sporting goods and the retail business. Flexible hours, low stress. Fun environment, work hard you get rewarded.

ConsMonotonous activities such as ad set. Some lazy co workers. Angry customers get pretty old. Isn't a great opportunity for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementDress code is silly, pay management more for excellent service.

Very Poor Income For Store Level Managers and Antiquated Day to Day Operations At The Store Level.

First Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Big 5 full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFairly good health care, PTO, vacations.

ConsUnless you are willing to travel they don't want you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better. The employee will make or break your store. At this point this corp is making too much money on the backs of its store employees. One to Two dollars more for hourly employees would improve moral and maintain a stronger sales team. A higher salary system for the in-store management team has to be a priority. Improve and update day to day operations. Many of the tasks are time wasted and costly to the corp. For this corp to be completely dependent on a sale/marketing program the time that the store employees spend is wasted performing very costly and often inaccurate sale/ad tagging system. Inventory system is very poor, and to make it worse the communication from the store to corp regarding inventory is very weak. The POS system and SKU system are inaccurate.

cashier

Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at Big 5 part-time for less than a year

Prosflexible hours, that's about it

Constoo many to list really

Advice to Senior Managementtreat those who are not management with more respect.

Not Bad for a Summer Job

Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Amarillo, TX

I worked at Big 5 part-time for less than a year

ProsManagers were understanding and easy to talk to. They were more than willing to give you time off if you asked in advance. The job itself was pretty easy and not super stressful.

ConsThe pay wasn't great and there's no opportunity for raises unless you work there for more than three months. Some co-workers were unreliable and would quit without giving their two weeks', which made it more difficult for the people who were reliable. There were also people who would just decide not to show up to work, which again, puts more pressure on everyone else.

Not a bad entry level job

Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee)

I worked at Big 5 part-time for more than a year

ProsPretty relaxed environment with decent management. Flexible schedules and and easy to get days off. Very easy entry level job.

ConsMundane at times and you have to wear dress clothes even though your often lifting things. There aren't many advancement opportunity's and the pay isn't great. They don't really train you that well.

Advice to Senior ManagementLose the dress code and get work polos. Train employees better.

Good first job.

McMinnville, OR

I have been working at Big 5 part-time for more than a year

ProsThe people you work with are great, from managers to part timers. Easy tasks to perform and they schedule around you, which was important to me. A great place to have your first job. Honestly, it's world's better than having nothing and I'd rather work here than fast food. 95% of my cons are with how people not at the specific store operate, everyone at the store is great.

ConsCorporate is out of touch with retail. Basically, Big 5 is 3-5 years behind trends and that gets frustrating to both employees and consumers. Little opportunity for advancement and Raises are NOT given to part time employees. Little to no benefits (10% employee discount). No commission. Strict dress code, which is nonsensical for sporting goods.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdapt! Listen to what managers and lower level employees have to say. Offer competitive pay rates, as many employees look to leave to other places, as there's not much incentive to stay. This forces managers to have to undergo training and hiring far too often. Also, inventory management is very poor. I recommend allowing for better methods of clearing out old "Hot Price" products, as they rarely sell unless an additional discount is added onto them.

Great experience

Cashier (Former Employee)
Long Beach, CA

I worked at Big 5 full-time for less than a year

ProsLove the people, lots of fun and good people

ConsManagement did not understand basics of sporting goods

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the dress code - guys should not have to wear ties

Company lagging decades behind

El Toro, CA

I have been working at Big 5 part-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's an easy job. Tasks are the same week in and week out. They work around your schedule if you have school or another job.

ConsThe dress code is out of date and doing labor and getting dress clothes torn and ripped is just ridiculous. The pay is just above minimum wage, I have friends who work part time at other companies and they make much more than I do. District and regional managers just care about numbers, nothing more. Goods to be sold are old and out of date, I know that's how Big 5 gets much of its inventory but some of the merchandise is just too out of date.

Advice to Senior ManagementModernize everything. Update the registers and the software to a modern system. Update the dress code to modern times, like a polo and slacks. Give raises for those who deserve it.

Worked for Big 5? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Big 5 reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Big 5 CEO Steven G. Miller. All 136 reviews posted anonymously by Big 5 employees.