Big 5 Reviews

1. Worst experience of my life

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Woodland, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Woodland, CA

I worked at Big 5

Pros

Honestly, the best part of this job was interacting with the customers. Most of the time they were really friendly if you are nice to them, and you get to advise people on good products that will work for them.

Cons

Working with backstabbing, conniving coworkers that will go behind your back and try to get you fired (though this may only apply to the Big 5 in Woodland, California). DO NOT apply at Big 5 in Woodland, CA. As a psychology major who studies human behavior, I very sure that the majority of people that work at this store are psychopaths, Also, if you work in the back of the store, you will be required to look through thousands of shoes for just one order (and you are only allowed to take a matter of minutes to do this), and lift very heavy equipment. There were times where people from different Big 5 stores would call in for a shoe order if they didn't carry it, and they would be EXTREMELY rude.

Also, as someone who is for animal rights, I don't support the fact that Big 5 sells hunting licensing, as I don't condone killing animals "just for fun."

If you work here, you have to watch your back when it comes to coworkers.

Advice to Management

Keep your employees in check. Don't give preferential treatment to those who have been with you for a while, because they derive a sick pleasure out of trying to get new employees fired. If a new employee has a concern, listen to it instead of blowing it off and only listening to the employees that have been working there a little longer. You are running good employees out of your store, and hurting your business in the process.

2. Working at Big 5 Sporting Goods

I have been working at Big 5

Pros

fun industry, product discounts, flexible scheduling

Cons

constant turnover, long hours and weekends, not much opportunity for growth

3. Not What I would expect from this type of company, but a few things I can appreciate.

I have been working at Big 5

Pros

The scheduling is pretty flexible, which is convenient for me to work around my school schedule. It's relatively easy to get time off if you request it off far enough in advance. There are a few perks usually some discounts from other companies as well as Big 5.

Cons

Management and employees not being professional. There is a lot of cussing and borderline sexual harassment usually involved in gossip. There are things that are said that are really insensitive that are offensive Which I don't believe are living up the ethics of Big 5. There is no to little training for what is expected. Promotions are pretty rare for part timers and the raises are minuscule. It is inconvenient to not know what days you are going to work, which makes it hard to plan out your week. Also for part timers a 10 minute break is not enough to eat and go to the bathroom when that is your only break if you don't get a lunch. There should be a change in policy on meal periods. It is difficult when you are the only sales person when it is understaffed. There are no benefits for part timers.

Advice to Management

A better training program is definitely needed. I suggest making it be required and that it be signed off or verified in some way before management let's people be the only person on the sales floor. Benefits for part time would be great and more ways to move up or get a raise other then becoming a manager. A set schedule would be a lot better for work and life balance. It's difficult and frustrating to plan out your week when you don't know your schedule until the weekend. A better more professional work environment is needed to improve the moral of the company, while still being some what casual and relaxed about some things but serious about others. Having a longer break than 10 minutes is needed. 15 to 20 minutes is desirable when that's the only break you get in a 4 to 5.5 hour shift to avoid meal periods. There should be a change in meal periods policy.

5. Generic unskilled job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA

I worked at Big 5

Pros

Easy while in school. Flexible hours, no skills required.

Cons

Expected to know things, but no training given. Expected to find shoes in back stock, but back stock is not organized. Even tasks that should be simple are difficult due to lack of organization.

Advice to Management

Give employes some level of training and paid time to organize back stock areas.

6. Fun, energetic and enthusiastic job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Maria, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Maria, CA

I have been working at Big 5 part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You are around sporting goods all day for me as a athlete I enjoy it.
    Our team consist of very friendly and fun athletes that are great at their position.
    Management is pretty flexible with scheduling which is nice if you are a student part-time or full-time.
    Pretty good hours exspecially threw certain seasons.
    Employee discount is definitely a plus.
    Great job for athletes or sports fanatics.

Cons

Commission would be nice or even the hourly wage could be a little more suitable.

Advice to Management

There seems to be a lot of theft at store 114 exspecially after the exspantion on the upper level now. The store is in great spot for Buisness but also a area for theives. A increase in cameras would be key.

7. Fun Work Enviroment

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Show Low, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Show Low, AZ

I worked at Big 5 part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is very low stress since all you do is sell sporting goods. They usually promote from within and the employee discounts are amazing! As long as you are a friendly and outgoing person then you will fit right in with this company.

Cons

The pay is very little. Too many projects and the trucks are usually filled with inventory that must be stocked that day. Must be willing to stand on your feet the entire shift other than breaks.

8. It is a retail store where their manager trainees are a dime a dozen.

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Big 5 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Paid 13 an hour. with health benefits and 401k. You get to learn about shoes and sports if that is your thing.

Cons

There is no room for advancement. Most stores have store manager, 1st, 2nd, and a Manager trainee. There is a lot of turn over at the 2nd manager position but going from a 2nd to a first, or to a store manager can take years.

Advice to Management

Make it more than just a retail experience for the manager program.

9. Big Five sales/cashier

Current Employee - Sales in Elko, NV
    Current Employee - Sales in Elko, NV

I have been working at Big 5 part-time (more than a year)

Pros

good work environment very flexible hours

Cons

minimum pay, get raises every six months

10. Solid retail company!

Current Employee - Retail Salesperson in Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Retail Salesperson in Henderson, NV

I have been working at Big 5 part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the sports atmosphere and the normal department store retail style of business it was. The business was very flexible with college student hours and the pay was good for a student as well.

Cons

There was no real room for growth with the company. For being a larger business, the growth opportunities from retail associate to higher levels is very hard to attain.

Advice to Management

Allow for associate manager positions at your retail stores to be primarily open to that store's retail associates.

11. Flexibility is good, but thats about it.

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate

I have been working at Big 5 part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Usually are pretty flexible with hours, but depends on the store. Job is very easy, with most work just moving things around. Fellow employees are usually young, college students, so the environment can be fun.

Cons

The pay is most likely going to be minimum wage to start. At 6 months you are eligible for a a joke of a raise of about 10 cents more per hour. Corporate is very close minded, and projects they send out is mostly busy work. Their philosophies are stuck in the 20th century. Only promote from within, so people in management are all the same and have been with big 5 their whole lives.

Advice to Management

Give employees incentive to sell with commision. Don't expect us to act like salesmen when we aren't treated like one.
    Big 5 also has to be one of the most wasteful companies. Get rid of ad set and ad down and save a lot of paper, and money.

Big 5 Photos