Big 5

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
3.2

Steven G. Miller

Pros
  • Flexible hours, and plenty of them if you have the availability (in 11 reviews)

• The work is easy to get used to, the majority of customers are not rude, the management is good, and all of my co-workers are really nice and friendly (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to wear a shirt and tie seems like overkill for a job like this (in 10 reviews)

• All non-management employees are part-time, so we don't get benefits or lots of hours (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Chill First Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Big 5 part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very relaxed laid back environment, very friendly co-workers, all part timers are pretty much a chill group of kids.

Cons

Repetitive work, leadership can be questionable sometimes like, a manager can tell you to do one thing then a minute later another manager tells you to do another thing.

Invest a little more in products, the store I worked was never fully stocked and was always trying to sell things that we didn't have.

retail hours take some getting used to

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Big 5

Pros

great benefits that are second to none

Cons

its retail and the hours are hard to deal with

Sales Associate Experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Big 5 full-time

Pros

It was a very entertaining job, especially while attending college.

Cons

They never gave people raises.

Friendly service and customer care

I have been working at Big 5

Pros

Love the expectations this company has for its employees.

Cons

I can't find any cons for this company.

I so far have really enjoyed my time here.

I have been working at Big 5

Pros

There's a lot of things to keep you busy that the manager could assign you if you're bored.
    Really flexible.
    They'll go over things with you that you don't understand.
    Great customers 98% of the time.

Cons

Low hours because of so many people working there.

None at all.

Advertising Department

Current Employee - ADVERTISING ADMINISTRATOR in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - ADVERTISING ADMINISTRATOR in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Big 5 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are great. You work Mon-Fri, no weekends and some paid holidays.

Cons

No opportunities for personal growth, get treated as if you are in high school i.e. no internet access, no phones out, its advertising why wouldn't you be able to have access to the online website?

Consider personal growth opportunities to employees in stead of specializing us to one simple task; ITS BORING! Be open to feedback from employees. Treat us like adults.

Fun part time job, perfect for while still going to school

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Surprise, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Surprise, AZ

I worked at Big 5 part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, fun environment.

Cons

Hours are very limited, salary is not very high, and dress code is unnecessary.

A PT/FT Perspective

Current Employee - First Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - First Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Big 5 full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've been asked several times by co-workers, friends, a DM and a RM why I've stayed with the company for as long as I have. My answer has always been the people, I've enjoyed the managers I've worked with forged friendships with my co-workers and been able to work in an environment that was largely drama free.

However when the biggest pro is something that lies outside the companies control, I think that shows a flaw.

Other Pros:

AS A Part timer: This job represented a low stress entry level position with merchandise I had a basic working knowledge of. It worked around my school hours and kept the family off my back.

AS a Full Time: Healthcare was useful, and fairly inexpensive, 401k option existed, paid days off (1 for every two months) plus 1 week vacation (year 1, 2 weeks years 2-6). Most of this is fairly standard though in full time jobs.

OVERALL: Treat this as a job, or a resume builder, if you are looking for a career, it is not here. The compensation cap for store managers is low, and the bonuses offered are insignificant. Reasonably you would need to be a DM or in Corporate to earn a salary sufficient to raise a family, and those positions are few and far between.

I've worked at Big 5 as a part timer ( 6 years), and Full Time 2 years, so it has suited my needs.

People often complain about the pay, the hours, the people, but there are also perks. Many customers are gratious and thankful when receiving good help. Having a Monday-Tuesday off can be great, when you are the only one out and about. While yes occasionally you have 8 day streaks of working, those are due to an awesome stretch of 2 days off 1 day on 2 days off, which are amazing as well.

Cons

Part time:

1) Lack of training, the staff is inadequately prepared to deal with customers, It is trial by fire. I have learned more from listening to customers than from employee's of Big 5.

2) A failure to properly compensate experienced/ well performing employees. I was constantly in a race with minimum wage, I would receive a raise, the year would end, minimum wage rose, and I was right back near minimum wage excellent! As an experienced part-timer I was certainly bringing in higher sales, and providing a better customer experience however, I was compensated less than street fresh MT's and compensated very close to most part-timers. Yet guess who was doing a large portion of training to both parties? ME. In short as you become more experienced your work load and scope of expectations will shift, while compensation will not.

3) The system in place at Big 5 leaves management little recourse but to throw you under the bus. Customer's misuse product, abuse it, or lie about what you told them. However management is advised to at all costs "make the customer happy".

Full Time:

1)Lack of training, your training will be inadequate, feel rushed, and completely underwhelm you. Too many stores make it difficult and do not foster a growing attitude. The check marks get made the signatures signed, yet you feel like you did not learn or gain much experience from it.

2) Lack of consistency amongst stores. The general program is the same, but how many stores handle that program can vary greatly. Getting thrown into various stores you often feel like you are back at square one, and many stores adopt a protective techinique of "this is how we've always done it" Which makes it difficult to create your own personal footprint in a new store.

3) Promotions are often not merit based, more 'timing/locational based. I have seen good managers stymied, due to a lack of fluctuation in there immediate area, and I have seen poor managers practically double promoted due to high turnover farther away.

1) Adopt a broader and thus more flexible wage scale, where you can reward employee's based on merit. I work at one of the slowest stores in the area yet I make the same if not more than an employee at the busiest. yet the day to day stress and expectations vary greatly.

2) Standardized and well regulated system of reviews and feedback to part time staff.

3) Bad/Lazy managers persist for far too long in the current system.

4) I've made it 8 years in this company without learning one thing about fishing..............training issues? accountability issues?

5) Freshen up stores more regularly, replace fixtures. etc.... Walking into a new big 5? Looks great, walking into an old big 5? Looks trash, provide the right resources and tools to improve stores.

6) Continue to adapt to modern technology

7) Don't let new stores disguise same store sales drops. Fix the problem at the root and the tree will grow.

Sale Associate

I worked at Big 5 part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Accommodating to requesting time off
    - Other employees were generally
    - Easy

Cons

- Minimum Wage Pay (I guess that is to expected in retail)
    - Having to wear a shirt and tie seems like overkill for a job like this.
    - The products here are subpar. I wouldn't buy anything here except for shoes.
    - No incentive to go above and beyond. Employees that slack off get the same raise as the ones running the store.

- Change the dress code policy. Making employees wear a shirt and tie on minimum wage salary is insulting.

Fun staff, easy work!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Big 5 part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I always enjoy coming to work and seeing my coworkers. We always get along and get work done as a team.

Cons

I understand the dress code enforcement, but it seems a bit much for a sporting goods store. For example, I arrive to work clean and well dressed in my shirt and slacks, and within 10 mins I'm covered with dust and sweaty from lifting an 130 pound box into a customers car by myself. How do you expect me to squat and lift in dress pants and dress shoes? Corporate office has never worked a hard day in their lives and don't understand the physical labor involved in a sporting goods store.

Don't be so close minded to ideas. Just because you are a manager doesn't mean you're smart and know everything. I usually end up "trolling" on my
    managers for not thinking things through.