Big 5 Reviews

1. Nothing more than a stop gap

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Big 5 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relatively easy
    In my case, I had three of the best managers I could have

Cons

Paid basically nothing
    Pointless "projects"
    Very unorganized
    No training whatsoever so you learn as you go

Advice to Management

The managers should just pay just a little more and they will see better results.
    However my district supervisor in particular was not only very rude but also showed resentment towards gays and certain races

2. Sales

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Watsonville, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Watsonville, CA

I have been working at Big 5

Pros

Chance to grow
    Fast paced
    Good entry level job

Cons

Low Pay
    Expect too much out of you

Advice to Management

None

3. Great people, easy job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Duncan, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Duncan, OK

I worked at Big 5 part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can be comfortable with your small group of employees. The job is very easy and training isn't bad whatsoever. REALLY easy interview.

Cons

The beginning to learn the computer system is challenging, but gets easier. I promise.

5. Boring

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate

I have been working at Big 5 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-nice co workers
    -super flexible scheduling

Cons

-boring
    -minimum wage
    -no consistency in mangers' instructions/policies or rules/expectations

6. Worst experience of my life

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Woodland, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Woodland, CA

I worked at Big 5

Pros

Honestly, the best part of this job was interacting with the customers. Most of the time they were really friendly if you are nice to them, and you get to advise people on good products that will work for them.

Cons

Working with backstabbing, conniving coworkers that will go behind your back and try to get you fired (though this may only apply to the Big 5 in Woodland, California). DO NOT apply at Big 5 in Woodland, CA. As a psychology major who studies human behavior, I very sure that the majority of people that work at this store are psychopaths, Also, if you work in the back of the store, you will be required to look through thousands of shoes for just one order (and you are only allowed to take a matter of minutes to do this), and lift very heavy equipment. There were times where people from different Big 5 stores would call in for a shoe order if they didn't carry it, and they would be EXTREMELY rude.

Also, as someone who is for animal rights, I don't support the fact that Big 5 sells hunting licensing, as I don't condone killing animals "just for fun."

If you work here, you have to watch your back when it comes to coworkers.

Advice to Management

Keep your employees in check. Don't give preferential treatment to those who have been with you for a while, because they derive a sick pleasure out of trying to get new employees fired. If a new employee has a concern, listen to it instead of blowing it off and only listening to the employees that have been working there a little longer. You are running good employees out of your store, and hurting your business in the process.

7. Working at Big 5 Sporting Goods

I have been working at Big 5

Pros

fun industry, product discounts, flexible scheduling

Cons

constant turnover, long hours and weekends, not much opportunity for growth

8. Not What I would expect from this type of company, but a few things I can appreciate.

I have been working at Big 5

Pros

The scheduling is pretty flexible, which is convenient for me to work around my school schedule. It's relatively easy to get time off if you request it off far enough in advance. There are a few perks usually some discounts from other companies as well as Big 5.

Cons

Management and employees not being professional. There is a lot of cussing and borderline sexual harassment usually involved in gossip. There are things that are said that are really insensitive that are offensive Which I don't believe are living up the ethics of Big 5. There is no to little training for what is expected. Promotions are pretty rare for part timers and the raises are minuscule. It is inconvenient to not know what days you are going to work, which makes it hard to plan out your week. Also for part timers a 10 minute break is not enough to eat and go to the bathroom when that is your only break if you don't get a lunch. There should be a change in policy on meal periods. It is difficult when you are the only sales person when it is understaffed. There are no benefits for part timers.

Advice to Management

A better training program is definitely needed. I suggest making it be required and that it be signed off or verified in some way before management let's people be the only person on the sales floor. Benefits for part time would be great and more ways to move up or get a raise other then becoming a manager. A set schedule would be a lot better for work and life balance. It's difficult and frustrating to plan out your week when you don't know your schedule until the weekend. A better more professional work environment is needed to improve the moral of the company, while still being some what casual and relaxed about some things but serious about others. Having a longer break than 10 minutes is needed. 15 to 20 minutes is desirable when that's the only break you get in a 4 to 5.5 hour shift to avoid meal periods. There should be a change in meal periods policy.

9. Fun, energetic and enthusiastic job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Maria, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Maria, CA

I have been working at Big 5 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are around sporting goods all day for me as a athlete I enjoy it.
    Our team consist of very friendly and fun athletes that are great at their position.
    Management is pretty flexible with scheduling which is nice if you are a student part-time or full-time.
    Pretty good hours exspecially threw certain seasons.
    Employee discount is definitely a plus.
    Great job for athletes or sports fanatics.

Cons

Commission would be nice or even the hourly wage could be a little more suitable.

Advice to Management

There seems to be a lot of theft at store 114 exspecially after the exspantion on the upper level now. The store is in great spot for Buisness but also a area for theives. A increase in cameras would be key.

10. Fun Work Enviroment

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Show Low, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Show Low, AZ

I worked at Big 5 part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is very low stress since all you do is sell sporting goods. They usually promote from within and the employee discounts are amazing! As long as you are a friendly and outgoing person then you will fit right in with this company.

Cons

The pay is very little. Too many projects and the trucks are usually filled with inventory that must be stocked that day. Must be willing to stand on your feet the entire shift other than breaks.

11. It is a retail store where their manager trainees are a dime a dozen.

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Big 5 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid 13 an hour. with health benefits and 401k. You get to learn about shoes and sports if that is your thing.

Cons

There is no room for advancement. Most stores have store manager, 1st, 2nd, and a Manager trainee. There is a lot of turn over at the 2nd manager position but going from a 2nd to a first, or to a store manager can take years.

Advice to Management

Make it more than just a retail experience for the manager program.

RSS Feed </> Embed