Big 5

Updated December 24, 2014
Updated December 24, 2014
3.2

Steven G. Miller

Pros
  • Flexible hours, and plenty of them if you have the availability (in 11 reviews)

• The work is easy to get used to, the majority of customers are not rude, the management is good, and all of my co-workers are really nice and friendly (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to wear a shirt and tie seems like overkill for a job like this (in 10 reviews)

• All non-management employees are part-time, so we don't get benefits or lots of hours (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Had a very good out come overall work experience.

I have been working at Big 5

Pros

Learned a lot in a short time.

Cons

Keeping up on net.

chill job for cashier

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Big 5 part-time

Pros

basic cashier job, talking to people,

Cons

standing all day in one spot, short break time, having to tag everything

Laid back job, dis functional management, no room for growth

I have been working at Big 5

Pros

Super laid back, very simple tasks

Cons

Horrible communication among managers, managers play favorites, don't show much respect for part time employees, very old ways of doing things

Communicate better, give more respect to part timers, stop using current ad system. Change the dress code

Mind numbingly boring and repetitive job while having worthless people as managers.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Big 5 part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work there are very nice and fun to hang out with. Also, the scheduling is very flexible and you can get any time off when needed. This is a good place to work while in college because of the flexible scheduling.

Cons

If you have any amount of a strong work ethic you will not like it at Big 5. There is practically no product training, the pay is crap, and the managers and other part timers are almost all morons. The district managers are very political and view part timers as piles dispensable fecal matter.

Hire more competent people, pay at least $1.50 more per hour, and develop product training so your sales associates can answer customer questions.

Good Summer Job for College Student

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Coeur d'Alene, ID

I have been working at Big 5 part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount on merchandise, and hours based on performance

Cons

Stale work environment. Stuck in their ways as far as marketing and store was inefficient.

"That is the way we have always done it. Why fix what is not broken?" If everyone thought like this there would be zero innovation. Thus, why Big 5 is stuck in 1997

a really bad job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Big 5 part-time (more than an year)

Pros

always moving around and learning new things

Cons

have to learn everything on your own, pay is low, no actual break room at this store

actually giving people reviews every year instead of waiving it year after year

Fine place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Corona, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Corona, CA

I worked at Big 5 part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed my coworkers and the work was easy. I worked as a retail salesperson. I had no problem getting time off work if I needed it, although I did my fair share of double shifts when someone else would call out sick. I never felt pressured to do it, but I didn't mind the extra money. The wage was above minimum and felt fair. The assistant manager was one of my favorite managers, ever.

Cons

Typical cons of retail work - strange customers, the confusing sales. But honestly not too many. I no longer work in retail but I'd work at Big 5 again, if needed.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Big 5 part-time (less than an year)

Pros

flexible hours, cool coworkers management

Cons

poor hours constantly cutting of hours

hire less people reward hardworking employees

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Big 5 part-time (less than an year)

Pros

People, learn about sporting goods and the retail business. Flexible hours, low stress. Fun environment, work hard you get rewarded.

Cons

Monotonous activities such as ad set. Some lazy co workers. Angry customers get pretty old. Isn't a great opportunity for growth.

Dress code is silly, pay management more for excellent service.

Hellish

I worked at Big 5

Pros

There are none, please do not ever work there. You would be better off working at Sports Authority or any other sporting goods store.

Cons

Innumerable, literally. All employees were treated terribly, being overworked and unequivocally underpaid. You are not trained at all; you are expected to fend for yourself in knowledge and understanding of any said product sold by Big 5 Sporting Goods®‎.

Dear Steven G. Miller,

As C.E.O. of Big 5 Sporting Goods®, a company claimant of over 9,500 employees, it can be understood if there is not always fluidity in the systematic operations of a *multimillion dollar corporation*, though, truly, that is inexcusable when it comes to the management of your employees. First, the pay rate at which, in example, a sales associate receives is laughable at best. You cannot expect an entry level employee to fend for themselves in understanding the products that you sell to try to sell to the public. What needs to be done is a complete overhaul of how you think your company should be run. What you truly need to do is go and actually visit a store, anonymously, to see just how unprofessional and disaster stricken your company is currently in. All your company ever reminded me of was McDonalds, a multibillion dollar conglomerate that easily replaced any one of its employees, because that is just what they are to them, replaceable. What an atrocious and disgusting kind of mentality to have for any one of your employees.