Big Brothers Big Sisters of America Reviews

Reset
3.3
Big Brothers Big Sisters of America President & CEO Pam Iorio
Pam Iorio

Pros
  • Flexible schedule where you can make a difference (in 6 reviews)

• Rewarding to see positive outcomes of mentoring, which is all contingent on many factors from match compatibility to support and supervision (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It is not the most efficiently run non-profit in the world (in 12 reviews)

• There is no room for professional growth unless you're one of the senior staff (in 5 reviews)

1. MY opinion

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buford, GA

I worked at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America (More than a year)

Pros

Great organization that helps kids and you feel part of a family

Cons

Did not like the how organized the company was at times and could have had time used more effectively

Advice to Management

Just be more engaged with the people you work with and give them a chance to use their creativity

2. Office Admin

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America

Pros

easy to follow guidelines, genuinely caring people

Cons

appears to be lots of travel involved for the relationship specialists, to homes, restaurants, fundraising...

Advice to Management

I feel there is a small bit of stigma attached for teens who have a brother/sister. Any way to target that issue?

3. Ok at best.

Former Employee - Donation Center Office Assistant in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Donation Center Office Assistant in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was an easy, monotonous job that gave me a lot of experience with dealing with difficult customers over the phone.

Cons

Working so hard and being surrounded by people who not only shrugged off their responsibilities, but also stole from the company and were not even reprimanded. Instead, we all had to take over their workload to keep them from stealing anything else.

Advice to Management

If you've got people working for you and stealing donated items that are meant to help children in the program, you should do something about it, not just dole out their jobs to harder working people.

5. Great opportunity for learning

Former Employee - Development Intern in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Development Intern in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America

Pros

Flexible schedules, working for a great cause, everyone is willing to help teach you even if they are not in your department. Opportunities for networking

Cons

None that I can tell

Advice to Management

Great job, keep up what you are doing

6. Amazing People, Amazing Agency

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great employee appreciation -Wonderful people to work with who really care about their agency -Awesome mission -Ability to work directly with the population and see the change -If you're not in it for the money, there is a lot of personal reward -I have the best supervisor that really invests in her employees and works around the clock to help her team.

Cons

-Often have to work late hours to finish work -Pay could be better -The process could really be streamlined, we are being managed from a company in a different area and it is unneccessary and really slowed down things. It affects how long the children and volunteers have to wait to be matched and it makes it harder for the employees.

Advice to Management

Go back to the old way things were and let the separate locations do all of their own work, it doesn't make sense for people in Dallas to be making decisions for people in Houston. The important thing is that the children and families get the best service as quickly as possible. Leave the work to the people who know their area and the population that they serve, you're just putting more work on one office, overloading them, and slowing everything down.

7. Program Aide Review

I worked at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America

Pros

Well organized programs, highly dedicated staff

Cons

Need more communication between head office and off site programs

Advice to Management

Communicate more effectively

8. Match Support

Current Employee - Match Support Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Match Support Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment with friendly people, lenient with hours and working from home, plenty of opportunities to get out of the office and work with kids at schools, events or at homes.

Cons

The program used for the majority of managing matches, storing demographics and information etc. is a very poor and outdated.

9. Do Not Work Here

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America (Less than a year)

Pros

The one good thing about this place is that all the employees get along and are like family. Other than that I do not think I have any others.

Cons

The company pays very poorly. The equipment they use keeps having technical problems, but they refuse to get better equipment and blame the employees for not reaching the quota. Also, the company keeps employees at part time so they do not have to provide benefits which are not great from what I've heard.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be to maybe reevaluate where you are spending your money and spend it towards the betterment of your equipment.

10. Match Support Specialist

I worked at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America

Pros

Great organization that has a direct impact on the community it serves. BBBS offers you great opportunities to work with local community members, from all socio-economic backgrounds, and is very well-regarded company to work for.

Cons

MSS positions do require patience, long hours, and willingness to be available to your clients on evenings and weekends. For some it could be too demanding.

11. Has room for improvement

I worked at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America

Pros

great benefits package, passionate people working at agency.

Cons

poor organizational culture, upper management are disorganized and disrespectful. CEO is a bully!

RSS Feed </> Embed