Big Brothers Big Sisters of America

Updated December 18, 2014
3.2

Big Brothers Big Sisters of America President & CEO Pam Iorio
Pam Iorio

Pros
  • You know you are working for the greater good to make a difference in the life of a child (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible schedule where you can make a difference (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • It is not the most efficiently run non-profit in the world (in 12 reviews)

• There is not a lot of room for growth (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good mission overall

Former Employee - Special Event Coordinator
    Former Employee - Special Event Coordinator

I worked at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

it's nice to know you're working for a good cause. Staff are generally kind and helpful to each other.

Cons

Sometimes things take longer than necessary to resolve, but kind of normal stuff for the non-profit world.

Volunteer Work that is Rewarding

Current Employee - Big Sister in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Big Sister in Portland, OR

I have been working at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Being a positive influence on a child has lasting effect on both parties. Win Win! Realistic time and financial expectations.

Cons

Seems to have high turnover in Match Specialists. This can be frustrating to reacquaint each one to your unique situation.

Employees are obviously passionate about the cause. What needs to change to keep them around?

High Standards

Current Employee - Enrollment and Match Support Specialist in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Enrollment and Match Support Specialist in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Office Culture, team work, benefits are very good.

Cons

No opportunity for growth, non-profit= social profit

none.

Big Brothers Big Sisters is the reason why I went into Marketing. I love everything they are about

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I loved working for Big Brothers Big Sister of San Diego because it was like a family. We all worked together to help each other with things even if it was not in their job title. The charity events they put on were always well planned and absolutely amazing. Tina, the Marketing Director is a hard worker and is very personable. She was one of the best bosses I've ever had.

Cons

Because it is a non-profit, there was not much money in the budget to try things out or to pay their interns.

They were very lenient and flexible with time off. There are no complaints I have about management

BEWARE! Sexism, lack of transparency, poor management, lies, and lack of direction!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The absolute BEST model for serving at-risk youth in need. Dedicated case managers who possess true passion and dedication to improving the lives of the families/children supported by their programs. Big Brothers Big Sisters maintains a positive perception in the community and with the stakeholders. Great relationship with local business leaders and media (see their board of directors).

-Good vacation and benefits (then again most non-profits provide good benefits to compensate for low pay).
    - Truly meaningful and impactful work

Cons

Ran primarily by women who have created an atmosphere of deception, personal vendettas/agendas, and an overall discriminatory environment. (To be clear I have no issue with the gender ratio or women in senior management - however, I do not appreciate ABUSE of power). Sexism/favoritism were both very evident when they laid off three individuals (including myself) all male - without reason. Mind you, I was let go before the 6 month mark, so as not to raise their unemployment overhead. I was brought in and interrogated by the head of administration & finance (via office politics) after my integrity was undermined by disgruntled employees. A true low blow and cheap shot. Their programs suffer because the organization is prone to turnover and re-organization (twice in 2014).

- Low Pay
    - Unrealistic work expectations due to lack of resources
    - Disorganized departments
    - Terrible management
    - Lack of appreciation for hard work

The Tacoma/Seattle offices need a complete overhaul of management. Think of incumbents in congress you've wished were thrown out for years! Top down approach is completely counter productive within the non-profit arena. Deeply saddened that management is not giving 100% to support/respect the staff that works so diligently to aid the mission of Big Brothers Big Sisters. You should not be concerned about the bottom line, but rather, the children/families that urgently depend on your services.

An organization in turmoil

I worked at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America

Pros

The mission is compelling and needed.

Cons

Lack of moral compass and vision for the future.

Return to what once made it a great organization, valuing the people who make up the staff. That culture appears to be a thing of the past. Ironic that an organization that has hung its hat on relationships can't get it together internally in that area.

Program specialist

Current Employee - Program Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Program Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice to help others and have an impact. It's fun to see the impact this has on children's lives.

Cons

Limited budget, and lots of work to get done. If you are task orientated you will hate it, if you are okay with having many ongoing unfinished projects it will work for you.

Give employees time to rest.

Good for a first job

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America (more than an year)

Pros

Very rewarding work, good holiday schedule

Cons

Over worked and under paid

Match Support Specialist

Current Employee - Match Support Specialist
    Current Employee - Match Support Specialist

I have been working at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the children in the program and seeing the positive outcomes is very rewarding. Generous PTO allowance and flex time.

Cons

Work can be repetitive. Small budget to work with.

Wonderful mission; dysfunctional agency

I worked at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America full-time

Pros

A mission-driven culture with research-based services that have a positive impact on children. Flexible work hours. Program standards are clear and program staff know when they are performing well. A well-respected brand that people want to support.

Cons

There is little autonomy in the local offices so each office is strongly affected by the state organization's dysfunction. The organizational culture is capricious; not transparent. Good employees are dismissed and those who are left must absorb their jobs without warning or input. This behavior would normally be driven by financial distress, but not in this case.

Big Brothers Big Sisters of America Photos