Big Fish Games

Big Fish Games Reviews in Oakland, CA

3.2

Big Fish Games President & CEO Paul Thelen
Paul Thelen

Pros
  • great work life balance, fun to be part of the shifting game industry (in 9 reviews)

• Friendly employees and causal work environment make it a fun place to work (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • However, I found that there was a consistent hiring of C-level employees (in 4 reviews)

• Salaries offered are below industry average for the game industry (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

1 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Review for Oakland, CA office (Self Aware Games)

Current Employee - UI Designer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - UI Designer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can't speak for the Seattle location but here are my thoughts on the Oakland, CA office (Self Aware Games)-

- Everyone is very intelligent, driven, and very good at what they do
    - A slew of wonderful perks and activities: offsite events, parties, physical therapist, kitchen
    - Versatility in projects (at least in the Art Dept.)...you get to work on what you are really interested in/want to get exposed to
    - GREAT work/life balance. It's a strong value here and that's very rare in gaming and tech
    - People here know how to work hard and have fun doing it...every day is a total joy!
    - Relaxed environment with very reasonable deadlines
    - Wonderful health benefits

Cons

- Pay can be lower than average (I took a large pay-cut from previous position but it's been 100% worth it)
    - A big disconnect from the Seattle office (our parent company Big Fish Games)

- Put more focus on internal development of your people: offer external learning opportunities, unique challenges, and promote a stronger culture of open communication and feedback.

Big Fish Games Photos