Big Fish Games

Updated October 16, 2014
3.2

Big Fish Games President & CEO Paul Thelen
Paul Thelen

Pros
  • great work life balance, fun to be part of the shifting game industry (in 9 reviews)

• Friendly employees and causal work environment make it a fun place to work (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • However, I found that there was a consistent hiring of C-level employees (in 4 reviews)

• Salaries offered are below industry average for the game industry (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time

Pros

Good environment, great work/life balance , smart people

Cons

Could use a female on the C Level

It's been better

I have been working at Big Fish Games

Pros

Really good work and life balance

Cons

Compensation is poor
    Training is under-par
    Culture has gone downhill lately

Get to know your employees again. I feel like it's been a long time since you actually seemed to care about the little fishies in the pond. Seems to me you're more concerned about the bottom line then the people that get you to that point. Maybe you've just gotten too big or something else. I don't know.

Lots of opportunities!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Big Fish Games full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, the employees are what make the company a great place to work, great benefits- lots of paid vacation

Cons

leadership can be frustrating at times, company values, a bit disorganized

It's an average but fun place to work.

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, fun environment, great people.

Cons

traffic, lacking in professionalism, should implement more training

Retain your talent.

Overall Good Company

Current Employee - QA Tester in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - QA Tester in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people and relatively relaxed environment.

Cons

Lower salary and ok benefit

Lost the spirit of start ups.

Good to start and gain some experience

Former Employee - Site Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Site Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Big Fish Games full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work enviroment is nice. Nice office facing the water. Coworkers were the best.

Cons

Some managers like to keep information and not to share it with employees. Great place to start and gain some experience but not to stay for a long time. The possibilities of developing career there are not many.

More transparency

Satisfied

Current Employee - Localization Translator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Localization Translator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Safe and fun work environment. Strong company culture. Good benefits. Company matches 50 % of the first 6 % you add to your 401k.

Cons

In terms of salary I was not always treated the way I should when I moved from on department to another.

If quick 180s are your thing, this might be the place for you. It wasn't for me.

Former Employee - Senior Game Tester/Tester III in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Game Tester/Tester III in Seattle, WA

I worked at Big Fish Games as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The location is fantastic. I could see the Puget Sound from my desk. I got to learn how to work on iOS devices much more than I had before. It's generally a friendlier environment for women than some of the gaming studios at Microsoft were.

Cons

Initially, I was happy, because I had heard that this was a better environment for women in the industry than the area of Microsoft I'd been in. As it turns out, it's just as bad, in somewhat different ways.

It had been strongly suggested to me that the team I was on rarely did not hire their contractors, that someone had to actively work to not get hired as an FTE, so when my contract was set to "completed" three weeks shortly before I thought they were going to offer me a fulltime job, it was a nasty shock. For almost a week I knew nothing about why I was removed, and when I did get an answer, it was only that "their staffing needs changed" and "they had a big deadline". I worked hard, including working overtime, and commuted a long traffic-filled way everyday for this company. I did my best to navigate hit-or-miss documentation and a surly, unapproachable trainer, and the thanks I get is to be jobless after I thought I'd be there for years?

No thank you.

My contract was set to complete shortly after I was told that "they weren't getting quality candidates applying" and "we are short on Senior Game Testers". If there was something else they needed me to be doing, or something they needed me to be doing differently, they sure didn't tell me. I was learning, and I didn't get a chance to prove myself.

Tell your producers to waive less stuff. They let problematic things slip through. Hire more people and actually keep them on. Invest time and money in people and train them to be the employees you want, rather than rolling 4 D6 every time you are a bit dissatisfied with whoever is filling a given role.

Reduce the politics. Get people who are good at their job in those roles, rather than the most likeable people. Make it so your leads have time to actually communicate with their people, and make sure your leads are actually willing to give constructively critical feedback. Nice is different than good, and nice is worth nothing if your employees don't know what you want them to be doing because your managers aren't telling them.

Poor management, lay offs

Former Employee - Release Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Release Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Big Fish Games full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good location, occasionally fun atmosphere, good colleagues, fun team morale events, benefits aren't bad, pay is comparable to other companies in the same industry, generally hire from within

Cons

Poor management, Barbaras, lay offs, promotions / positional transfer process was generally a pain, other things that caused me to lose my trust in the company

Too corporate

Former Employee - Senior Producer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Producer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Big Fish Games full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The content being worked was amazing at one point. They need to re-group to find that niche that they had a long time ago.

Cons

If management doesn't like you, they let you go, regardless of how hard you work or how dedicated you are to your team and product.

Talk to your worker bees more frequently to learn what's actually happening at your company, instead of listening to the way-too-many VPs of this or that.

Big Fish Games Photos