Big G Express

Updated June 30, 2014
Updated June 30, 2014
2.7

Jack Marsh

More productive than other trucking companies

Former Employee - Truck Driver  in  Shelbyville, TN
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Shelbyville, TN

I worked at Big G Express

Pros

Most of the freight they haul is out and back. Their facilities are imaculant and the most modern I've ever seen. The driver managers are really nice.

Cons

I loved working there. But by the time I got to that company I was exhausted with the trucking industry as a whole. The hours at my previous companies really had taken a toll on me. Therefore I was not able to work there long. If I had to do it over again I would take a year or so off than return to work for that company.

If an employee works 40 hours a week he or she (not truckers) works 2000 hours a year. This includes paid vacations. A truck driver because of staying out for such long period of time will in my humble opinion reach that mark at four to six months. They of course will be frustrated and grumpy and probably quit such as I did.

Once I had quit I regretted it a few months later. If I had received an invitation to come back by mail or other means I would have came back.

Trying to rehire those they perceive to be productive would give them an edge in a high turnover industry.

OK job, terrible career.

Current Employee - OTR Driver  in  Bristol, VA
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Bristol, VA

I have been working at Big G Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

Live near Nashville; get home at decent time for weekend. Others, good luck. Paid every week. Insurance not bad for single coverage.

Cons

Bad dispatcher equals bad experience. You'll never meet them nor talk to them in person. They blame all the dispatching mistakes on the "planners". I asked who a planner was and was never given an answer. No names. Night dispatchers are way better. Matt, Carlton, Bernie, Phyllis, Kathy, are all good ones. I force myself on a night time schedule every week for this reason. Have to beg for detention pay most of the time. Sit for 2-6 hours after empty to get another load.

Couldn't care less. Waiting on a ticket to roll off my record so I can get a local ltl job. Money is not worth missing out on your children's lives.

Worked for Big G Express? Contribute to the Community!