Big Heart Pet Brands

Big Heart Pet Brands Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Big Heart Pet Brands CEO and Director David J. (Dave) West

David J. (Dave) West

Pros
  • A lot of good people at the lower levels and middle management(in 14 reviews)

• Good people, Talented leadership team, fantastic location being close to the water in San Francisco(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The lack of training for new technologists was disappointing(in 4 reviews)

• Executive level and upper management do not seem to care about the associates, the state of morale, or anything other than the bottom line(in 5 reviews)

Talented people and great brands

Senior Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat brands, good people, the salary is very competitive, summer hours (if you can get your job done on Friday you can leave work at 3pm in the summer).

ConsVery financially driven company, finance always has the last word. You have to run to keep up, lots of firedrills and last minute requests. Burn out is high. Not a great organization for sharing and helping others. You are on your own, so good luck!

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are lots of very talented people, find a way to nuture them too.

Had the opportunity to learn many things during my time there.

IT Professional (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood co-workers and nice, friendly office environment. Competent senior management that set a clear course for the future.

ConsIf you are in IT in San Francisco, you will find it hard to feel a part of the team back in Pittsburgh and know what is going on strategically. A number of SF team members always felt marginalized and were not treated as equals.

delmonte

Sorter (Former Employee) Modesto, CA

Prosit was ok, if you got called in all the time ,bummer if you dident, it was ok work,everyone was nice.

Consnot getting enough hours,always soaked to the skin,they would change your shift,got call in for seasonal again was working as a fill in at a bakery and they let me go,because could not get back to them,because of diffrent hrs worked.

Advice to Senior Managementgive everyone a chance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Former Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAllowed to wear jeans all the time

ConsThe culture of this company has hit rock bottom over the last 2 years - it is all about the senior management and what they want, they do not care about the employees and they lie. It is a real shame what has happened to what was once a great company to work for and which promoted a environment of camaraderie and collaboration - now it is everyone for themselves

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house and get management that has a heart - just like your name implies

New Leadership Needed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsPeople below the Senior Management level are great to work with.

ConsThe CHRO and CFO have this weird vendetta against the former Del Monte Foods whose Consumer division was sold last February. These two, the CHRO in particular, stomp around and pound their fists like two year olds when they feel their authority is being usurped. Both are extremely reactive and and tend to make decisions based on emotion rather than logic much to the detriment of their respective employee groups rather than thinking of the organization as a whole. The CFO's direct reports are "yes" men which no gumption to stand up for fear of retribution.

Advice to Senior ManagementDave West should replace these two as the morale under both these leaders is extremely low.

Great Company

ProsVery people and pet friendly, good location right in the heart of Burbank. Company is geared for future growth and great potential revenue in the Pet industry.

ConsCompany is still in transition mode from Del Monte to Big Heart Pet and many changes come without warning specially in the support part of the company.

Good company to work for

ProsIncentives for employees, strong emphasis on safety and preventative measures. Lots of growth for individuals and opportunities for advancement.

ConsNew software implemented with minimal training. Learn as you go mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people who actually will be using new programs on a daily basis have input.

Too many top layers. No decisions are made. Not strategic.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe work life balance, the location and the co-workers at the bottom layer.

ConsThis was one of my worst experiences working for a company. The organization is way too top heavy. That aspect compounded with a lack of leaders and decision making agility has caused immense frustration at all lower levels. There's actually not enough meaningful work left at the bottom because we have so many layers that you are effectively demoted as a result of the organizational structure. We are constantly hiring because everyone at the bottom hates their job and leaves. Beware if you think job openings are a sign of growth. We don't operate as winning teams that work together. This is game of thrones corporate edition. If you are looking for good work experience to progress in your career then you should look elsewhere. If you want to be an admin and spellcheck and do edits for your boss come here. The good people all leave...very few stay.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe roles and layers of people need to be adjusted. Too many cooks in the kitchen. Have one on ones with people at the bottom and try to understand the view from below....it's quite different than the view from above.

Pirates, destoying companies by buying and selling off aquisitions just because they can't make billions of dollars.

A/R Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Prosnot a single pro value at this time

Consno concerns on employing people

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house of the senior management - bad culture and business acumen

OK place - depending on what you are looking for...

Senior Brand Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat brands and company location. Good people.

ConsHeavy sr management - lots of politics and fire drills.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlim down the senior-most levels a bit.

Worked for Big Heart Pet Brands? Contribute to the Community!