Big Heart Pet Brands

Big Heart Pet Brands Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Big Heart Pet Brands CEO and Director David J. (Dave) West

David J. (Dave) West

Pros:
  • "Overall, good people to learn and grow with"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Good location - San Francisco is great and the office is close to good transportation, the bay (beautiful"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "The lack of training for new technologists was disappointing"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Executive level and upper management do not seem to care about the associates, the state of morale, or anything other than the bottom line"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was alright

Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Big Heart Pet Brands full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThis was not a stressful environment. Come in do you work, and leave. The people that work there are great. The location was really good too.

ConsDont pay very well until you reach a certain position. Higher level people are taken care of. No real chance for advancement unless you are a "chosen" one.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are really good people that work for this company, promote within.

Uncaring at the top and poor culture

I worked at Big Heart Pet Brands full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA lot of good people at the lower levels and middle management. Good benefits.

ConsExecutive level and upper management do not seem to care about the associates, the state of morale, or anything other than the bottom line. Poor culture with a lot of "clicks". If you aren't part of that group, you are left out of everything. The Executive level either approves of this or are completely oblivious to the culture. Decisions seem to be made in haste without thinking through the impact to the business, again with the focus on nothing but the bottom line. No real opportunities to advance within the company, especially within IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust in your people at all levels. You have a lot of intelligent and experienced employees. Change the culture back. This company used to be great to work for. There was a lot of pride from within. Very sad that things have taken a drastic change the last few years.

Company went downhill at record pace; Stay away!

Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Big Heart Pet Brands full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSummer hours (although many companies now offer better work/life perks)
For the most part, people are great.
Jeans are permitted

ConsToo much to list. Agree with previous reviews about San Francisco sitting in their “ivory tower” and Marketing having too much power; Environment between San Francisco and other locations is night and day. There have been many recent layoffs with more sure to come. Upper management pushes temps and consultants as the answer to unmanageable workload, which results in frequent training and retraining on sub-par systems. Company consistently makes poor business decisions, most recently forcing the company to move forward with replacing the operating system with one that is very lacking, while at the same time dealing with a divestiture and acquisition. Those left in the Pet company after the divestiture are burnt out and forced to clean up the mess for the divested Consumer company, whose remaining employees are lax and enjoy a laid-back atmosphere while they collaborate to update their resumes or wait to collect unemployment in a year. Company is also behind the times on work/life balance perks. Pay is far below average (although money is wasted elsewhere, as in paying a ridiculous amount of money to various firms to come up with the dreadful new company name) and it is well-known in the company that it does not pay to remain a long-term employee. HR limits raises for promotions, making it possible for a new-hire off the street to make a significantly higher salary than a 10-year employee in the same position. This forces many of the top performers out the door. Morale is horrible and get worse each day.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to boost morale and take care of your burnt out workforce. Allow hiring of full-time employees to help maintain the workload. Spread some of the San Francisco perks across other locations. Implement new work/life balance programs, which are needed now more than ever. Stop letting the higher-ups make poor decisions on operating systems and forcing those of us in the trenches to deal with the fallout and clean up the mess. Reassess the limits on raises and stop punishing employees who work hard to earn promotions.

Total Chaos & Crisis mode

I worked at Big Heart Pet Brands

ProsThe people are nice for the most part

ConsNothing ever gets done or implemented. They are going through major transition and everything seems crazy when it doesn't have to be. Decisions don't seem to ever get made and the work you do is like "hurry up and wait". Very frustrating environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust those under you so they can make decisions instead of waiting for you.

People are great, Management meh

Senior Associate Brand Manager (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Big Heart Pet Brands full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart, collaborative colleagues. Many young working professionals out of MBAs.

ConsToo many layers in management. Churns and inefficiency demotivating employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo need to hire expensive consultants to tell the company can delayer and save some salaries. Shift focus and energy to build the bottom, not the top.

Great company brands

San Francisco, CA

I worked at Big Heart Pet Brands full-time

ProsGood people, Talented leadership team, fantastic location being close to the water in San Francisco. Pet food business is highly profitable allowing for brand reinvestment.

ConsBusiness strategy and priories changed too often to evaluate if the past strategy was working. The business will continue to evolve being owned by PE. Uncertain what that will mean to the current business culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course with initiatives. Being close to right and executing is better than continuous replanning.

Nice place to work

Electrician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Big Heart Pet Brands full-time

ProsThey have great benefits, and they have great vacation and holiday pay. They are flexible and willing to work with the employee.

ConsThe salary does not meet today's standard and cost of living expenses, and there is no room for advancement in the company

Advice to Senior Managementpay according to skill, not labor grade

Great place to be a fire fighter

I worked at Big Heart Pet Brands full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat colleagues, nice office locations, summer hours. Continued financial investment in technology and manufacturing. Rationalization of the business is a positive move.

ConsIf you live to fight fires all day long, this is the place for you. Institutional lack of prioritization and resource planning results in burn out and apathy. It's impossible to trust with all the changes in the last 12 months. The last 3 months tore the "heart" out of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip on workload in the trenches. Strategy is watered down by the time it reaches the troops. Learn to say no.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Went from a great company to fair to bad to dreadful.

Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Big Heart Pet Brands full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome terrific & very dedicated people. Great location.

ConsMarketing has entirely too much decision making power. The SFO ivory tower ignores the relevant & deliverable input from talent in the trenches and repeatedly makes the same mistakes. Very sad.

Bullies, back stabbers & brown nosers have too much influence.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and really look at who you've got working for you. Use multiple sources for project advice. One person's ideas should not be a company's vision.

not fair

Sorter (Former Employee)
Modesto, CA

I worked at Big Heart Pet Brands full-time for less than a year

Prosif you are related to the management

Consif you are of different race you're not stable.

Advice to Senior Managementno discrimination pls.

Worked for Big Heart Pet Brands? Contribute to the Community!

Big Heart Pet Brands Videos

Big Heart Pet Brands – Why Work for Us?

We make products people love to buy, and experiences that strengthen the bond between them. We do this because we love pets and we know you trust us with their well-being. We are driven to constantly improve the quality… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Big Heart Pet Brands reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Big Heart Pet Brands CEO David J. (Dave) West. All 92 reviews posted anonymously by Big Heart Pet Brands employees.