Big Heart Pet Brands

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Big Heart Pet Brands CEO and Director David J. (Dave) West

David J. (Dave) West

41 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Had the opportunity to learn many things during my time there.

IT Professional (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGood co-workers and nice, friendly office environment. Competent senior management that set a clear course for the future.

ConsIf you are in IT in San Francisco, you will find it hard to feel a part of the team back in Pittsburgh and know what is going on strategically. A number of SF team members always felt marginalized and were not treated as equals.

New Leadership Needed

San Francisco, CA

ProsPeople below the Senior Management level are great to work with.

ConsThe CHRO and CFO have this weird vendetta against the former Del Monte Foods whose Consumer division was sold last February. These two, the CHRO in particular, stomp around and pound their fists like two year olds when they feel their authority is being usurped. Both are extremely reactive and and tend to make decisions based on emotion rather than logic much to the detriment of their respective employee groups rather than thinking of the organization as a whole. The CFO's direct reports are "yes" men which no gumption to stand up for fear of retribution.

Advice to Senior ManagementDave West should replace these two as the morale under both these leaders is extremely low.

Too many top layers. No decisions are made. Not strategic.

San Francisco, CA

ProsThe work life balance, the location and the co-workers at the bottom layer.

ConsThis was one of my worst experiences working for a company. The organization is way too top heavy. That aspect compounded with a lack of leaders and decision making agility has caused immense frustration at all lower levels. There's actually not enough meaningful work left at the bottom because we have so many layers that you are effectively demoted as a result of the organizational structure. We are constantly hiring because everyone at the bottom hates their job and leaves. Beware if you think job openings are a sign of growth. We don't operate as winning teams that work together. This is game of thrones corporate edition. If you are looking for good work experience to progress in your career then you should look elsewhere. If you want to be an admin and spellcheck and do edits for your boss come here. The good people all leave...very few stay.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe roles and layers of people need to be adjusted. Too many cooks in the kitchen. Have one on ones with people at the bottom and try to understand the view from below....it's quite different than the view from above.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK place - depending on what you are looking for...

Senior Brand Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat brands and company location. Good people.

ConsHeavy sr management - lots of politics and fire drills.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlim down the senior-most levels a bit.

People are great, Management meh

Senior Associate Brand Manager (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsSmart, collaborative colleagues. Many young working professionals out of MBAs.

ConsToo many layers in management. Churns and inefficiency demotivating employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo need to hire expensive consultants to tell the company can delayer and save some salaries. Shift focus and energy to build the bottom, not the top.

Great company brands

San Francisco, CA

ProsGood people, Talented leadership team, fantastic location being close to the water in San Francisco. Pet food business is highly profitable allowing for brand reinvestment.

ConsBusiness strategy and priories changed too often to evaluate if the past strategy was working. The business will continue to evolve being owned by PE. Uncertain what that will mean to the current business culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course with initiatives. Being close to right and executing is better than continuous replanning.

Fast paced, traditional environment

Director (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThere is a lot of opportunity to advance

ConsThere is a lot of change due to being privately held.

Lovely company, slow growth trajectory

Finance Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Prosvery nice people, good working hours, family oriented

Consdata obseesed, risk averse, heavy fixed cost issues

Beyond the Job Description!

San Francisco, CA

ProsSmart people with big ideas to GROW the business translates into people opportunities in many areas across the business. Career experiences are obtained by stepping up for projects and taking on challenging work.

ConsStart-up mentalit,y in some areas, may not be a fit for everybody.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to expect more from leaders and people managers to drive high performance and engagement.

New Employee - Great Opportunity For Impact!

San Francisco, CA

ProsAn outstanding brand, combined with a big opportunity to make an impact. A winning location and top-notch management. Cleary the investments that have been made in the company are paying off. All around the organization, Del Monte is creating a chance for motivated individuals to shine through and make a difference.

ConsNone that I can currently describe. Come here only if you have the passion, drive and commitment to be successful. This is a company where you need to have an opinion and a strong work ethic. Your reward will be the chance to develop professionally and make a difference in the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing and focusing on growth and innovation. Keep hiring great talent!

Worked for Big Heart Pet Brands? Contribute to the Community!

Big Heart Pet Brands Videos

Big Heart Pet Brands – Why Work for Us?

We make products people love to buy, and experiences that strengthen the bond between them. We do this because we love pets and we know you trust us with their well-being. We are driven to constantly improve the quality… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Big Heart Pet Brands reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Big Heart Pet Brands CEO David J. (Dave) West. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by Big Heart Pet Brands employees.