Big Lots
www.biglots.com Columbus, OH 5000+ Employees

Big Lots Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

David J. Campisi

Pros:
  • "The employee discount is comprable to most employers Ive worked for"
    in 25 reviews
  • "That the employees get 20% discount on all items except for on sale items"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "There's never management meetings so there is extreme lack of communication"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Upper management just hired in, trying to make a name for themselves"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Hated every second.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Billings, MT

I worked at Big Lots full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is no pros to working for this company they will screw you over the second they can, and they won't hesitate to do it.

ConsAren't able to manage own people, constantly had to check with store manager even to coach someone, was not trained properly, should have had more hours and people to work this store.

Advice to Senior Managementtrain people better.

Poor Corporate Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH

I worked at Big Lots full-time for more than a year

ProsSome good colleagues and above market salary.

ConsLeadership vacuum exists at corporate office that severely impacts the culture. Big Lots is NOT a 'people first' organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your teams and customers. For heaven's sake provide more labor support to the stores - how can you look in the mirror knowing that the only full time employees at the store are the managers?

ASM Review

ASM (Former Employee)

I worked at Big Lots full-time for less than a year

Pros45 hour work week...40 hrs straight time and 5 hours overtime

Consno training, made to take lunch 1 hour after reporting to work, very demanding physically

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you send a new hire to a training store touch base with them. I did not fill out any paperwork until the start of my second week. I was hired as an ASM and I was on the register most of the time...then I spent a lot of time cleaning the restrooms and breakrooms.

Review

I have been working at Big Lots

ProsFlexible hours at this place

Conspoor organization as well as management

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees

Disappointing work conditions at Big Lots

Not Given (Former Employee)
West Covina, CA

I worked at Big Lots part-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent insurance plan. Good coworkers. Good store management. Management bonus plan.

ConsIncreased performance expectations without a corresponding increase in payroll or personnel for stores creates a tension filled and stressful environment. This is translated into less than acceptable levels of customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementShareholder value means little to the customer, and the policy of workforce reduction at the expense of customer service and store maintenance, in addition to the stressful work environment that it creates, does a disservice to both your customers and employees.

Store Manager

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Detroit, MI

I worked at Big Lots full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company has good deals.

ConsThe company at the very top does not want acknowledge that they do not staff the stores correctly. You cannot manage a 40000 square foot store with one manager and 2 associates and give great customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave each District Manager and Regional Manager run a store for 1 month each quarter with 2 associates and grade them on there performance. ( Make sure that they have newbies working with them as well.) Oh I almost forgot make sure they also only have 2 associates to recover the store at night as well.

It's so sad what has happened at Corporate. I have no regrets that I left.

Corporate (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH

I worked at Big Lots full-time

ProsGood pay and benefits if you are fresh out of college. Incredible retail environment to develop your skills in.

ConsDon't plan on making a career here. You WILL be replaced one way or another. This company is not family oriented. Plan on long hours and lots of meetings to discuss what you plan to do, and working overtime to get it done.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe atmosphere has all the appeal of going to a funeral home, and your employees feel disposable. You need to fix this.

It was a good experience

Cashier (Former Employee)
Fort Smith, AR

I worked at Big Lots part-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood discount; good opportunities for advancement; pretty good pay. The people were lovely to work with and the hours were flexible. It is a good job for a high school or college student.

ConsThe management can be terrible, depending on what store you work in. There is lots of miscommunication, failure to perform, and not much of an atmosphere for complaining to upper management about the midlevel managers. Sometimes the policies would seem absurd: they'd fire you for being tardy 3 times (or something like that) but an employee hitting (sexually harassing) on an employee would just be moved to working a different shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training for management; better screen process for hiring managers; better open door policy for filling complaints.

It a great entry level job

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Riverside, CA

I have been working at Big Lots full-time for more than 10 years

ProsYou get an employee discount of 20% and a couple times a year they give an employee apprecaition days were you get 30% off your purchases

ConsHours for the people that work for you. Its hard to keep them there with less than 24 hours a week. Part timers are only gaurennteed 3 hours a week

management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Big Lots for more than 5 years

Prosusually good friendly associates as long as proper people do hiring

Constoo much micro management from store managers

Advice to Senior Managementlet your stores run according to area, give more freedom to store managers as far as merchandising goes. not all stores sell the same items as well

Worked for Big Lots? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Big Lots reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Big Lots CEO David J. Campisi. All 266 reviews posted anonymously by Big Lots employees.