Big Lots

Updated November 22, 2014
Updated November 22, 2014
2.8

David J. Campisi

Pros
  • One of the best reasons to work here is the 20% employee discount that is given (in 33 reviews)

• The 20% discount gained by working there is definitely the best part (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Trying to put out stock in timely manor part time won't get it (in 17 reviews)

• Lack of communication from corporate to store level (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Satisfies my needs for the time being

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Big Lots part-time (more than a year)

Pros

All employees except cashiers and management are part time so it's good for someone who doesn't need a lot of work. 20% discount during employment and a 30% discount 4 times a year. It was really easy to become friends with co-workers. It's probably the easiest job you could ever get. People who have worked here as well as fast food places or gas stations say this job is WAY easier.

Cons

Whoever sends the stock/merchandise sends WAY TOO MUCH stuff and we have nowhere to put it. We're expected to put everything that we get in onto the sales floor, no matter how much stuff it is or if we even need more of it. And if there's not a place for it, we have to MAKE a place for it. We don't have much help in the evening. They expect one person to straighten and recover the ENTIRE store. It's very difficult to do, especially when trying to do that while customers are still shopping. Even with two people it's difficult to make the store look how the regional managers and higher up's want/expect. During the evening they usually have one cashier and a manager as a back up but the manager is hardly able to get anything done because they're constantly needed at the service desk.

If you want perfection, every single night, hire more people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

20% discount. The bonus, getting overtime.

Cons

Lack of staff and payroll. Regional and district managers don't have a clue as to what goes on in the stores. Make long term employees full time. Part time associates don't care. They are there to get a check.

Share information. Make it a better place to work. Make long term employees feel like you value them.

No Advancement and Low Pay

Current Employee - CSS/Temp Associate Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - CSS/Temp Associate Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

20% discount. First pick from what comes in. Every shipment has surprises. Made friends with coworkers easily. 30% discount twice a year. 4 paid holidays a year.

Cons

Low pay. Very little raises. As low as 10 cents per year, only as high as 25 cents. Hard to get full time. Only management and a CSS are eligible for a full time position. Corporate gives out just enough hours to operate. One cashier, manager on duty often has to be back up cashier. One furniture associate, causing customers to have to wait. One person at night to straighten the whole store, while corporate has the expectation of perfection. It's impossible to run a store on the bare bones of a crew. But they don't want to hear that.

Lower prices. Often times the grocery store has better sales than we do. Give more labor hours to use. People need associates to help them and there's often no one available. You preach about good customer service to help loss prevention, but when there's only two people In this $4million store, there's no one to prevent theft.

Horrible.

Former Employee - Furniture Manager Big Lots in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Furniture Manager Big Lots in Louisville, KY

I worked at Big Lots

Pros

The hours were okay. However I had to work if someone called in sick. Got old quick

Cons

The management is on a high horse. They are horrible.

Go to school.