Big Lots

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

2.7

David J. Campisi

Pros
  • One of the best reasons to work here is the 20% employee discount that is given (in 30 reviews)

• That the employees get 20% discount on all items except for on sale items (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • There's never management meetings so there is extreme lack of communication (in 8 reviews)

• Not enough payroll allocated to ensure the level of customer service that is expected (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Different from paper to reality

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Hartford, CT

Pros

Discount
    20 percent off
    can move around
    do different things
    take longer breaks than 15 minutes
    walk around
    lots of smoke breaks

Cons

Manager threaten to kill me once he left I told management and they did nothing. Paper work they advertise no unions feel free to talk to management then store manager takes the guy who threatened to kill me more then once promise to no charge no one would miss me store manager takes his side then you have to leave notes for anyone higher up and either they don't see them or don't care because I quote here "he's gone there's nothing we can do now." That is butt covering 100 he still works for the company so there is always something you can do. If you can help it do not work or shop here they are mean threatening don't do anything to help you take days off and new system doesn't even recognize it and you get yelled out prices are high for crappy items. Don't go here don't work here the pro list was hard for me. I've done my job you have been warned.

Listen to bottom people we know whats going on not the store management who only shows you little bit. Actually talk to us read your notes get off your behind and do something.

Run and Run Fast!

Pros

Decent salary. Overtime. Decent benefits.

Cons

Overworked, unappreciated and lack of opportunity for career growth.

Treat your people better!

Assistant Store Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Winchester, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Winchester, VA

Pros

None. If I could give negative stars, I would.

Cons

Severely unprofessional, terrible hours, low pay, extreme working conditions loading/unloading trucks, poor management, no support for harassment

Take some professionalism classes

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"A crappy job is better than no job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tallahassee, FL

Pros

"it's a job for someone who has very little or no experience if you're a high school or college student trying to find something to put on your resume."

Cons

"Worked to death, no real breaks, unorganized store, unrealistic expectations, no transferable skills, very inconsiderate of employee's schedules in regards to students."

Treat employees with respect and be considerate of them, hold store meetings to inform staff of any changes that occur throughout the company, ask employees what they would like to see changed throughout the store, ask yourself "What could I have better?" "How can I do more as a leader?" "How have I been treating my employees?," do a better job of training employees and managers.

Worst experience of my life

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

there are no pros; except the money they throw at you to take a job that is NOT what you are really being hired for.

Cons

As a Manager, all you do is stock...stock....stock, and try to run around to help customers, accept deliveries, cashier, finish all of the "work list"

Add payroll to your Stores
    Treat your Management staff like managers, not glorified stockers.

Store Manager Trainee

Former Employee - Store Manager Trainee  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager Trainee in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

There was no pros this was one of the worst places you can work RUNNNN

Cons

There are many i had a military style manager who want to run associates into the ground in the associates are overworked and there on their last breathe before a coffin. Then there wasnt proper equipment to get the job done. (Ex broken pallet jackets) There is ALOT of manual labor where you have to do alot of lifting. You are suppose be getting train on management but management resent you because they feel you have the golden ticket. Starting salaries are very VERY low but they want to recruit those with bachelors. Nobody is salaried except the store manager and after the program you can expect not to be salaried.

Let recruit know what they are going to experience before hand. Inform them that this position require alot of labor in which we do not want you to think. There is insufficient amount of staff so you cant provide quality customer service. Work life balance need to be better if you are on the DTS "DOCK TO STOCK" after those have pack out the merchandise there should be two consecutive days off for them to recover, people are not machine they need time for there body to heal to get back to work.

My experience with Big Lots was dependent on the manager and changed to negative 4 years before the end of my employment

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Portland, OR

Pros

Best reasons for working here were the interactions with the customers.

Cons

Challenges were the lack of communication and appreciation of my last manager.

Have managers that listen to the employees and know how to communicate with customers and employees.

Disorganized company

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  New Bern, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New Bern, NC

Pros

employee discount thats about it

Cons

Very poor operation. Impossible expectations, surprised I lasted as long as I did. Met other managers who got out much sooner. This is the most disorganized company I have ever worked for and it starts at the top.

You need a plan for better distribution and inventory controls. Ship what stores need not what you want to warehouse in operations.

Terrible place to work

Pros

Good place to shop, that's about it.

Cons

Terrible pay, upper management doesn't care about people ay store level at all, total disconnect between corporate and the stores, you never get any support, not enough hours to do the job effectively, terrible work conditions.

Listen to the stores, support them, more payroll, control freight coming into the stores better.

Awful. Manager made me go deliver furniture to a hostile customer despite him threatening your employees.

Former Employee - Store Associate  in  Mc Kees Rocks, PA
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Mc Kees Rocks, PA

Pros

Easy as hell. Dont do nothing and get paid

Cons

Everything is about big lots is a con. DO NOT WORK HERE

Yeah your management sucks. I was disrespected by one my managers but yet no one believed me because it felt like they only believe people of higher seniority. But whatever I gotaway better job than big lots pays way better too.

Worked for Big Lots? Contribute to the Community!