Big Lots

Updated March 1, 2015
Updated March 1, 2015
2.8

David J. Campisi

Pros
  • One of the best reasons to work here is the 20% employee discount that is given (in 33 reviews)

• The 20% discount gained by working there is definitely the best part (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Trying to put out stock in timely manor part time won't get it (in 17 reviews)

• Lack of communication from corporate to store level (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Team, Awesome Store manager!

Former Employee - CSS in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - CSS in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at Big Lots

Pros

awesome management team, good co-works, good customers

Cons

not enough hours, got tired of pushing rewards program, not a lot of room for advancement.

Clueless

Current Employee - Clerk
    Current Employee - Clerk

I have been working at Big Lots part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Identity crisis' are fun to watch.
    it's a job,not a good or meaningful job but a job.

Cons

Way to much expected from part time employees as managers sit in the office or outside smoking.The rules don't apply to them,He says.Zero communications in store and company wide.Way to many good buddies working and promoted that have a tenth of the experience (or actual work put in )employees that have came from other stores.You are basically treated like a 3rd grader as micro managing of how you place cardboard to be carried back is dependent on if it makes it easier on the dts lead.

A.Communicate B.One set of rules C.Work undercover (seeing is believing) D.Lose all the extra chiefs that do nothing to add any value to your company E.plastic pens and squeezy toys are not real benefits.(IE paid vacations )

former GM

I worked at Big Lots full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Had the best crew while I worked in the orlando market could not ask for a better team

Cons

upper management was disconnected from the stores. Would highly recommend CEO go under cover to work in the stores same with the upper management. the Company tends to be task saturated with unrealistic goals. The company changed the title of store manager to store team leader. It takes more than a title change to become a leader. The company needs to invest money into proper leadership training.

My advice is work the weekly planner from cover to cover sign off on it and keep a copy of it for one year. this will help plan the up and coming week and sets that will become due. Keep up with the planning station 110% it is your life line to a task saturated company.

Burning through managers like crazy, stay away

Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

20 employee discount, decent health benefits (only for managers) , close to home

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of what can be accomplished with the payroll they give you. And if you somehow manage to get it all done your DM or RM will still find something to complain about. They put a ton of pressure on the managers to get things accomplished but if you try to relay some of that pressure to associates then you get accused of creating a hostile work enviroment

Upper management is never satisfied. They give you barely any payroll but want the store to be in great shape, stockroom empty and coverage on the floor, The expectations are consistently increasing but payroll gets reduced. (I wonder who is the mathematical genius that figured that one out) We work with old crappy equipment that does not work, our equipment is purchased from other retailers that are getting rid of it because it no longer works but we are expected to get the job done on time regardless. As manager you cannot make personal plans because there is always some last minute issue or ad or markdown that required the managers attention. Wages seem ok but are actually poor if you consider what you are expected to do. What a BS Job. The company will probable stay profitable because of they barely spend any money on payroll or equipment or health benefits

Assistant manager

I worked at Big Lots

Pros

There are alot of big lots to choose from

Cons

As.a manager you have very little hours for support

Look at redoing the truck process

It worked for me, for the time being while I finish my degree.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Big Lots

Pros

All the job duties are so easy, once you have worked retail then it is all repetitious. The store manager worked with my school schedule, and if given with advance notice requesting time off was always granted.

Cons

Although, I know it was only a part time job, the pay and the raises weren't very good.

There is plenty of room to advance in the company, as long as you are willing to relocate to another store.

Big Lots: A Big Heart with an Identity Crisis

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Big Lots full-time

Pros

-Amazing. Amazing co-workers. Some that I'll hopefully call my lifelong friends.
    -Work-life balance is great, at least in my department.
    -Company is small enough that quarterly events are attended by a majority of HQ.
    -Small little perks to know you're appreciated.
    -Free Parking.
    -Employee Recognition.
    -A fun, relaxed, environment.

Cons

-Leadership is questionable. Big Lots is attempting to exit out of the closeouts which made it unique to a more traditional retailers to compete in the middle.
    -Big Lots is playing catchup with a lot of other retailers: no e-Commerce (on the horizon-ish), no App, and antiquated mobile site.
    -SLT is out of touch with their employees. Completely. However, this is not unusual for a company this size.
    -Little room for advancement. Employees who have worked there for 10+ years are still asking when they are going to be getting their promotion.
    -Company seems to be a bit clueless, but well intentioned.
    -Time off benefits for Year 1 employees is paltry--5 days.
    -"One team, one goal" mantra is more like "my team, my goal."

Overall, it's a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Store Team Leader
    Current Employee - Store Team Leader

I have been working at Big Lots

Pros

Vacation pay and floating holidays. Flexible schedules. Getting to know your loyal customers.

Cons

Not enough payroll to do all that is asked of us.

Promote from within. Going outside the company is not always the best idea to fill a position when you have talent in the buildings.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Angelo, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Angelo, TX

I have been working at Big Lots

Pros

Flexible scheduling
    Great training
    Great people to work with
    A lot of customer interaction
    Vacation and benefits

Cons

Promoting from within means you don't necessarily get a fair salary
    Not a ton of help because of hours given to the store

Boring

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Big Lots part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy work if that is what you're looking for. Flexible schedule as well for the most part.

Cons

Boring and repetitive. Especially when sent to do "recovery" which is going around the store picking up misplaced items and returning to appropriate departments. Wouldn't gave been a big deal until most of my shifts were spent doing this and there was literally nothing to do but pace store waiting for somebody to put something down in the wrong place.

Big Lots Photos