Big Lots

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

2.7

David J. Campisi

Pros
  • One of the best reasons to work here is the 20% employee discount that is given (in 30 reviews)

• That the employees get 20% discount on all items except for on sale items (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • There's never management meetings so there is extreme lack of communication (in 8 reviews)

• Not enough payroll allocated to ensure the level of customer service that is expected (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Reward Cards Sucks Bad

Current Employee - CSS  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - CSS in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Love the 20% off employee discount

Cons

They want us to sign up people for reward cards and I feel that has the biggest impact on slowing down customer check outs ...had customers walk out because the line starts getting to long. Now customers don't like using the rewards card because they don't see any Rewards from it...Hate the Rewards Card system it's just a very bad customer service plan...the biggest complaint from customers is Long Lines having to wait on people to either sign up for the card or Look for the thing.

Get rid of your Rewards card it Sucks Bad!!!!!

Not a good place to be a salaried manager, you become the only resource.

Pros

They have a great business model, one that makes it difficult for customers to stay away, despite how hard the company makes it for stores to provide for their customers.

Cons

Only the store mgr is salaried. The new ceo has limited store resources, while raising execution expectations so the store mgr is usually the last resource to get anything done. This results in the store mgr either working 24/7 or risk getting fired for not meeting expectations.

I would only advise the assistant manager positions for young managers as they will learn more about the merchandising process at BL than anywhere else. You will learn the hard way but you will learn.

Managers Are Expected To Work Miracles

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great discount
    Great bonuses
    New CEO trying to change things

Cons

Management is expected to pull off miracles with limited payroll.
    District Managers micro manage, to the 10th degree.
    I have never worked for a company where a regional manager cusses when there is something wrong in a store.
    You are told to do a full on dept change today and 2 months later, they want you to change it again...with no payroll.
    No room for store managers to advance
    New CEO REALLY needs to go undercover in stores to see what it is REALLY like!

Payroll needs to reflect sales, i.e. more sales = more hours. If you aren't making sales, no extra dollars. Very simple.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I like it

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

Pros

Decent work hours.
    Great coworkers.
    Fair compensation.

Cons

Outdated technology.
    Replenishment of merchandise is strictly determined by home office. No manual orders.
    Training is very limited.

A company contribution to match stock purchases would be nice.

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Merchandising Freedom
    Great leadership from many executives

Cons

Personal life is left to a minimum due to workload and expectations

Different from paper to reality

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Hartford, CT

Pros

Discount
    20 percent off
    can move around
    do different things
    take longer breaks than 15 minutes
    walk around
    lots of smoke breaks

Cons

Manager threaten to kill me once he left I told management and they did nothing. Paper work they advertise no unions feel free to talk to management then store manager takes the guy who threatened to kill me more then once promise to no charge no one would miss me store manager takes his side then you have to leave notes for anyone higher up and either they don't see them or don't care because I quote here "he's gone there's nothing we can do now." That is butt covering 100 he still works for the company so there is always something you can do. If you can help it do not work or shop here they are mean threatening don't do anything to help you take days off and new system doesn't even recognize it and you get yelled out prices are high for crappy items. Don't go here don't work here the pro list was hard for me. I've done my job you have been warned.

Listen to bottom people we know whats going on not the store management who only shows you little bit. Actually talk to us read your notes get off your behind and do something.

Good company

Pros

Compensation and benefits are fair to market for management and corporate positions. Most people are nice, care about doing a good job and are willing to collaborate with their peers.

Cons

Like all retail, the business can be stressful when sales are down and payroll hours are low for store associates.

Be patient with associates and make they are fully trained.

Well.......

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tifton, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tifton, GA

Pros

I love the job. I love the discount. I love the challenge of getting to make a customers day help them find what they need or just want. But management needs work.

Cons

Management is very poor half are lazy and they drive out the good employees. Talk behind peoples backs. Seems like the only way to get a promotion is to cry and wine about it. Also management like so sign other peoples names on documents and curse over the intercom. I feel like the job would be a lot better if people fot promoted if they deserved the promotion rather then cried and cried and cried until they got their way

Stop catering to the needs of few and find ways to grow in the right direction because if it stays this way its going to go down hill fast lazyiness in management isnt good and when you spend 30 mins talking about your employees(trash talk) and pushing your job off on everuone else just so you can hang out by a fan with your shoes off is very slack!!!

Enjoyed it in the begining, but its not the same company anymore.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Tampa, FL

Pros

benefit program and compensation was good, bonus program needs reviewed. great bunch of mnagers to work with, would help you out whenever you needed. interesting mercandise coming in weekly. the challenge to figure out where to put the loads of merchandise coming in weekly

Cons

seems like their always was a "FIRE" to put out weekly, tough to get time off because of that. Seems like they are not interested in what you think because they have all the answers. Merchandising flaws in that you don't always get the items you need but lots of the items that are not selling well. End caps must be set to plan whether the items sell or not, thought we were in the selling business?

Listen to the managers in the field, they are the ones at the front line with the customers.(jennifer) Setting end caps by corporate doesn't work. let the store managers in each store have the opportunity to change based on sales results. Its why we are here right? Forget about perfection, live by the credo, its all above sales and profit.Give your store managers the ability to do what they do best, coporate does not have all the answers.

Big Lots

Pros

Great pay and benefits for upper management. There is never a dull moment or slow times. One must always be proactive and ready for everyday changes.

Cons

Work life balance is difficult

Worked for Big Lots? Contribute to the Community!