Big Lots Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014

2.7

David J. Campisi

Pros
  • One of the best reasons to work here is the 20% employee discount that is given (in 30 reviews)

• That the employees get 20% discount on all items except for on sale items (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • There's never management meetings so there is extreme lack of communication (in 8 reviews)

• Not enough payroll allocated to ensure the level of customer service that is expected (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at Big Lots full-time for more than a year

Pros

Was a business analyst entry level; great exposure and experience to large systems and projects.

Cons

Employee turnover [getting better though].

Keep it up; going right direction with new CEO and HR.

Big Lots

I have been working at Big Lots full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay and benefits for upper management. There is never a dull moment or slow times. One must always be proactive and ready for everyday changes.

Cons

Work life balance is difficult

Furniture Assistant

Former Employee - Furniture Assistant  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Furniture Assistant in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Big Lots part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Team on top of managing your own time and working pace

Cons

Rude, picky, immature customers

Learn to relax your life is not about planograms

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BIG lots was both challenging and developmental.

I worked at Big Lots

Pros

Great team dynamic with many life long professional relationship s established. The District Manager position was very autonomous and provided an empowering experience daily.

Cons

Change in CO to Steve Fishman.

Its an experience that I never had at any other workplace. THEY SEEM TO CARE`

Current Employee - Associate Manager  in  Hoover, AL
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Hoover, AL

I have been working at Big Lots full-time for less than a year

Pros

the best reason to work for big lots is that they have an open door policy and you can express your opinions

Cons

the truck is too big, plus when you are a manager and have to work the front register because you are short handed all the time.

My management team appreciate me and they let me know.

Great place to work if you're a self motivating person!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Big Lots full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

When positions became available, I was able to advance in the company. My merchandising skills have became really good because I have had the opportunity to work with some great people! Co-workers are friendly and the work environment is great.

Cons

District manager is never happy, he only knows how to point out areas that need improvement. The words "good job" don't seem to be in his vocabulary! There's no formal training, you learn as you go so it's important to feel comfortable asking a lot of questions. There is room for advancement only if someone leaves a position, so depending on what location you work at, you might be waiting a while. (Especially if you want to make it to management!)

Know when to pat you're employees on the back. Constructive criticism is important but knowing when to reward employees will help your employees be motivated.

life draining

Former Employee - Material Handler-shipper -sortation -  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Material Handler-shipper -sortation - in Columbus, OH

I worked at Big Lots full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

weekly paycheck could be better if people never cheated on the incentive program but at least you get a check every week this is the only pro I can think of

Cons

heavy lifting for men only because with my 15 years working in the Columbus warehouse I never seen women lift heavy merchandise , & I'm not saying they can't' its just skipped for the men to do , it would be nice if the women would do equal work and have bad backs as well !and the all male supervisors will not say anything about this problem if everyone has the the same job position they should work the same work load even Steven same pay same material should be handled . And the inventive program is hell on earth ! It causes certain employees to skip items of bulk and weight and skip to smaller lighter work loads to increase their production , in other words they cheat to get higher carton counts! Leaving the heavy bulky merchandise to others causing their production to go down and make them look bad ! And the supervisors hear about this and do nothing at all but write you up for having low carton counts ! They need to drop that incentive program it causes a lot of back stabbing and make the real hard workers look bad! Another bad thing about this place is they work you to death in the first 3 days of the week and drop the hours in half the rest of the week or there is no work on Friday so you can't get 40 hours in its ridiculous ! The supervisors are never around , who knows where they go all day they show up at the end of the shift to log out the locations computers and that's all you see of them , I mean what if you have a problem ? Maintenance is always in the break room , if somethings broke down it hurts that departments production . If its 90 degrees out side prepare to suffer the building has no proper ventilation and its hard to breath in there when its that hot out it will be 100+ inside . So if you want to work in a place who's employees skip heavy merchandise and save it all for you while they work on tissues all day and you sweat your butt off killing yourself with bad equipment that Wont stay working because of the lack of maintenance and no supervision THAN THIS JOBS FOR YOU....

drop the incentive program it causes nothing but cheating and back stabbing , and puts a strain on the good workers who's left with working on the heavy undesirable merchandise

Challenging retail environment

Current Employee - Furniture Sales Manager  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Furniture Sales Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Big Lots full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My store and district manager are great. Flexible scheduling. Fast paced. Nice discount. Great products.

Cons

Pay isn't great only ok. No opportunity for overtime. Moving up can take a lot of work. Can be somewhat chaotic at times with not enough hours to schedule.

Look for the talent you already have on staff. loosen up the hours a bit so the staff can give the customer service that you are expecting.

A Decent job

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist  in  Paducah, KY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Paducah, KY

I have been working at Big Lots full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

benefits and management. No one is really breathong down your neck, its pretty laid back. easy work.

Cons

they pay minimum wage to there part time associates.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Big Lots full-time for more than a year

Pros

have the control to do what you want.

Cons

Hours can be rough at times.

Upper management is refocusing to the customer needs.. keep it up.

Worked for Big Lots? Contribute to the Community!