Big Lots

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
2.8

David J. Campisi

Pros
  • One of the best reasons to work here is the 20% employee discount that is given (in 33 reviews)

• The 20% discount gained by working there is definitely the best part (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Trying to put out stock in timely manor part time won't get it (in 17 reviews)

• Lack of communication from corporate to store level (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

The Best place ever.

Former Employee - General in Fort Dodge, IA
    Former Employee - General in Fort Dodge, IA

I worked at Big Lots full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The management were respectful of all they employed. Know one talk at any time negative about anyone, they would what would be better to do.

Cons

Bad time unloading trucks in the winter the dock door were always facing north. The track made it bad when the weather was nasty.

Keep respecting your employees just like you do the customers an you will do great. Find someway to unload trucks when the bad weather happened.

Not a bad college job

Former Employee - Furniture Associate in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Furniture Associate in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Big Lots part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked here in college. It wasn't a bad place to work at all. It's generally a laid back, easy going culture.

Cons

My particular store's management was a bit of a joke. Managers quit, were fired, and new ones hires roughly every 3 to 6 months. It wasn't long before, as an hourly employee, I knew how to run the store better than they did.

Promote from within! The managers that were hired had been previously and recently fired from other retail management positions. What makes you think they would be better managers here?

My experience is fairly well but not the best.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was really neat the way all the coworkers were helpful when it came to training. If I didn't understand something, there was always someone to assist you. I learned how to favor the customer's needs while they shopped.

Cons

Some of the products didn't meet their price due to their quality; however you had to sell it to the customer even though you knew it wasn't worth the purchase.

The management should offer more hours to workers barely beginning. I believe it will motivate them to pursue their work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

20% discount. The bonus, getting overtime.

Cons

Lack of staff and payroll. Regional and district managers don't have a clue as to what goes on in the stores. Make long term employees full time. Part time associates don't care. They are there to get a check.

Share information. Make it a better place to work. Make long term employees feel like you value them.

Great culture, great people, everyone is always willing to help you.

Current Employee - Accounting and Finance in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Accounting and Finance in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Big Lots full-time

Pros

-Great culture
    -Going through many changes (new CEO)
    -People are knowledgable about their positions
    -Everyone willing to help out

Cons

Company going through a lot of changes. (Personally, I think is pro, but I can see it being a con)

Frustrating place to work, high, unnecessary workload

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the people are fun to work with. Benefits are good insurance wise.

Cons

Required 45 hours minimum. Schedule is all over the place between day and overnight shifts. say good bye to any kind of sleep schedule and outside activities that have a set time or date. Workload is ridiculously high. Shipments are not at all thought through. Receive random amounts of freight regardless of what might already be on the shelves but at the same time you are expected to get it all out on time every time. Not enough payroll for expected tasks and customer satisfaction demands. Was happy when first started, but over time have really started to become unhappy with work and life outside of work since work seems to take up all my time an energy. Have changed as a person because of it and not in a good way.

Store Managers should step up and help out more instead of putting everything on the assistants. establish better more organized shipping process based on the stores size and capabilities. Don't cram as much product as you can into a store by sending too much then bash them for not getting all the freight out. Don't burn out employees to the point where they don't enjoy coming to work.

I worked at Big Lots

Pros

Decent work/life balance. Some good people to work with. Good upside since they're SO far behind technology-wise that some easy fixes under new CEO could reap relatively big benefits.

Cons

SLOW moving company, being held back by sub-par COO. NOT a place for quick paced career advancement. STILL can't buy ANYTHING on their website (COO was previously CIO, and still oversees IT).

Replace the COO.

Close out shopping

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Love how different and diverse the merchandise is. I have had so many different foods from around the country and around the world, just by shopping there. Love, Love Love the discount. The pay is good, the hours are good. the people I work with is good.

Cons

I do miss all the great training I received from my former employer. I don't get much training from Big lots. Its all work no play. But that is how it is for me and my team. High volume store.

Train your staff. TBT is getting better, but we are missing out on a lot of knowledge. Add just a couple of full time associates to the staff. focus un furniture. Staff it better. If you are open, you need a trained associate in furniture at all times. Not just a cross trained cashier. Not a cross trained recovery associate. A dedicated furniture team.

I have worked part time at Big Lots for over a year.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Phenix City, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Phenix City, AL

I have been working at Big Lots part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The customers are great, the managers can be really sweet, and caring, you get a 20% discount and 30% discount on certain weekends on things that are normally up to $500 anywhere else.

Cons

Some of the managers are uncaring. They give you very VERY few hours if you are part time.

When hiring part time employees, I believe that they should be promoted or at least given a raise after a year of working there. And managers should not be allowed to give less than 10 hours a week to ANYBODY working part time or full time.

Horrible

Former Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Paducah, KY
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Paducah, KY

I worked at Big Lots part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Always something to do. Stayed busy

Cons

Messy atmosphere and terrible manager at the location I was working.

Big Lots Photos