Big Lots Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. management

I have been working at Big Lots full-time

Pros

Some nice co workers and customers sometimes

Cons

Very hard labor for low pay

Advice to Management

Don't forget we are human beings not work horses

2. You'll never be unmotivated

Former Employee - Freight Team Lead in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Freight Team Lead in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The weekly paychecks were nice. The Discount was pretty awesome. Learn what is a good and bad retail environment.

Cons

The pay is terrible for the work done. The management in each store is glorified stock team. Corporate doesn't care about anyone in the store. The budgets are unrealistic. If they have the opportunity to make it more complicated they will. Trucks are shoved with all the freight and no safety.

Advice to Management

Try to start caring for your employees. You aren't evening paying close to competitive wages for the work.

3. Furniture Assoc.

Pros

20% Discount, Nice Management team. Friendly atmosphere Good team work

Cons

Can Not Move Up in the co. I have Been In Furniture Retail, moving,Refinishing and Repair For Over 30yrs. Was Without Furniture Manager For all most A yr. I did All The Furniture Building ,Made Sure Furniture Stayed Stocked On Floor. Tagged And Put Up new Merchandise.Made Sure All customers where Given Good Service. I applied for The Job as furniture Manager And The Job Was Filled By Some One With no prior furniture exp.And I am Still Doing most of the work why the furniture manager gets all the pay!

Advice to Management

No advise for Management because there hands are pretty much tied when it comes to making advancement decisions. Company moved someone from another store to fill position!

5. Store Team Leader

Former Employee - Store Manager in Crestview, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Crestview, FL

I worked at Big Lots (Less than a year)

Pros

20% discount on already great priced product

Cons

There was not enough payroll to run the store efficiently, sometimes having only a manager and a cashier in the building. Store manager constantly told they are free labor and to cover the gaps.

6. Proceed With Caution

Pros

Employee Discount Health Benefits Good product assortment

Cons

Hired in the Spring of 2015 to take over a store that was a disaster before it opened its doors back in 2011. I was working 65-70 hours per week and didn't mind because I was convinced it would pay off in the end. I was in trouble right from the get-go. First, the location is plagued with a serious rodent issue and had been for several months prior to my arrival. Pudding packages and other various food stuffs gnawed into and droppings galore throughout the shelves in the food area of the store. A pest control service would come in periodically to expedite a mass trapping, but to no avail. The staffing is difficult because the store is sandwiched between 2 upscale malls and a major department store directly across the street. So the job-seekers you would get were often the best of the worst and not the best of the best. The store's receiving manager was out on medical leave and so was the best stocker next to him. The store so needed additional U-Boats to flow freight because stockers were touching cartons too many times which hampered productivity. I was told they were ordered back in June, but never saw them. All these factors put freight flow seriously behind week after week. The store next door was having their roof stripped and this horrible debris was flying all over our warehouse. Lord only knows what we were all breathing in. I had a horrible cough for weeks. I only pray it wasn't anything toxic. When I finally asked for help from my DM, the response I got was that nobody was available because no other store was near to us. So he just stood by with arms folded and watched me fail. Then after BL pursued me and asked me to leave one job for this great opportunity the DM walks in 4 months later and let's me go. That's the thanks I got for all my hard effort and for practically abandoning my family week after week. If you work for BL be prepared to run with practically no payroll at all. Your assistant managers are all hourly so you'll need to absorb all the extra yourself and then when your DM senses that you're about to hit your wall you'll probably be handed your hat and coat and wished the best of luck. What better way to deflect queries and avoid suspicion about why you can't correct a bad situation than by blaming it on the the store's leader and replace them with what you hope will turn out to be some sort of Messiah. I've never felt so much like an abused child that wanted to hide under the bed whenever the DM would walk in the building. Instead of trying to collaborate he would rather talk on his phone for the entire duration of his visit and before leaving make you feel as though you were positively worthless and shout at you in the office loud enough that staff members could hear it in the rest room. All because you couldn't deliver a doll house week after week despite untenable conditions. I had never cared about a building so much in my entire career and at the same time feel so unappreciated and so de-valued.

Advice to Management

Seek to understand before you seek to criticize.

7. CSS

Former Employee - CSS in Hartville, OH
    Former Employee - CSS in Hartville, OH

Pros

Was close to home and mostly fun to work there. I enjoyed the crew I got to work with.

Cons

They switch management too much, they didn't communicant very well with employees, as far as from higher ranking management to the people like myself, being a CSS.

Advice to Management

They need to see what good ones they actually have and promote them and quit bringing in outsiders.

store manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Gresham, OR
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Gresham, OR

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good place to work if you have strengths in merchandising and don't mind getting your hands dirty

Cons

strictly part time except for management

Advice to Management

more help on sales floor throughout the day for customer service and theft prevention

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coeur d'Alene, ID

I worked at Big Lots (More than a year)

Pros

The customers I was enjoying the best

Cons

salary was not that great

10. Big Lots review

Former Employee - Store Associate in Lithonia, GA
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Lithonia, GA

I worked at Big Lots (More than a year)

Pros

Some coworkers, most management, friendly environment

Cons

Other coworkers didn't work weekends and called out often, new manager was terrible did not operate well with others and came off wrong to customers and employees. Employees never got the appreciation or pay they deserved.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, show your employees more appreciation, and have the associates evaluate the management.

11. Merchadiser/stocker

Pros

Nice people relaxed atmosphere plenty of work to stay busy

Cons

Management jobs are the only full time, everything else is only part time. No health insurance benefits

RSS Feed </> Embed