Big Y Foods

www.bigy.com

Big Y Foods Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014
Big Y Foods – North Haven – “Cake for the boss!!”

Donald H. D'Amour

Pros
  • decent pay, flexible hours, interesting work, some cool co-workers(in 4 reviews)

• good first job, get treated very well(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of managers highest education are high school degrees(in 6 reviews)

• No room for advancement, and even if you do go full-time, they make you travel up to 45 minutes to your store(in 5 reviews)

great part time employer

Produce Clerk (Current Employee) Palmer, MA

ProsThis job is completely dependent upon who your manager is at the time. the right manager and this job can be great for any part time employee. Wages are good considering the lack of necessary skills.

Consmanagers tend to get shipped around from store to store often. many employees not reprimanded the way needed for results.

Advice to Senior Managementtake stock in your employees, some of your hardest working, most intelligent workers are part timers who cannot obtain full time work through you.

Great experience

Cashier/Service Clerk (Current Employee) North Branford, CT

ProsFriendly Atmosphere and Friendly People

ConsSame work everyday, gets boring

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Working with great people, for appreciative customers.

Meat Specialist (Current Employee) Greenfield, MA

ProsOn the clock this is a very demanding position, especially around the holidays, but any obstacles are overcome as a team with ease.

ConsVertical mobility through the company can prove to be difficult at times, but with a little added effort you get noticed and you can move upward in the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If your in it for the long haul there is money to be made, however high turn over

ProsGreat company benefits, most management is good. Closed 3 holidays out of the year (most grocery stores in the area are not) Time and a half every Sunday. Community involved, lots of great programs and discounts for staff. Non union (could go either way)

ConsThe hours can be grueling, crazy around the holidays (no energy left to enjoy them even if they are closed) Pay starts out below average but you can work your way up fast if you prove yourself. Physically and mentally demanding

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work!!

Decent employer

Deli/Food Service/Seafood (Former Employee)

ProsYou get a 25 cent approximately raise every 6 months, You also can learn alot from working in different departments that comes in handy in almost any food service job.

ConsThe scheduled hrs. fluctuates intensely week by week and can be cut more than in half, which dramatically affects your pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to commit more to your employees, they help pay your bills. Also, try to set a minimum average of hours, (dont go from 38 hrs a week and suddenly drop down to 16)

Great Place to Work

Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsGreat Benefits, people, and management. I wish they had jobs in my career field I studied in college because I would still be there. The D'Amour family really cares about their employees as well as customers. Just look around the store, there is no better put together grocer than Big Y.

ConsNone, just a great place to work.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work!

great job. management could be better.

Cashier (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

Pros-flexible schedules
    -decent pay
    -for the most part, decent customers

Cons-hard to become fulltime
    -people call out a lot
    -not enough hours for people who want to work
    -management isn't very friendly

Advice to Senior Managementplease make sure your management is treating employees fairly and properly. because I know for a fact that they aren't. at least in the two stores I've worked at over the years.

Decent Temporary Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCool Co-workers
    Silver Savings Discount / Sometimes food discounts
    Flexible Schedule

ConsReally bad pay, I would only recommend it for a high school student, not someone looking to make a living (unless you are management).
    There is a lot of favoritism and gossip

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that your employees are people and treat them as such. Back talking, drama and favoritism doesn't help anyone.

First Job.

ProsGood people, flexible with availability.

ConsTakes a while to climb up the ladder.

Good

Cashier/Service Clerk (Current Employee) North Branford, CT

ProsExtremely flexible. Able to work around schedules.

ConsCan be a dry job

Worked for Big Y Foods? Contribute to the Community!