BigCommerce

Tech Support Ninja (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros*Free Food on Tuesdays
    *Happy Hour every Friday
    *Great company culture
    *Respect from coworkers and superiors
    *Everyone is family
    *Home-away-from-home
    *Amazing benefits

Cons*Not always the most organized (we're still a start up, it's to be expected)

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, keep doing what you do. Super proud to be working here!

Creative environment with ambitious goals.

Junior Salesforce Administrator (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsAt BC, you're encouraged to speak out about your ideas and concerns which is a big relief. Their playful environment supports their employee's mental and physical health, BC not only cares about their goals as a company but cares about each individual as well. I felt very welcome to the team! By the way, their stand ups are amazing!

ConsIf you're a contractor you kind of feel like the odd cousin at the family get-together. You're there and working with the team but when it comes time for the stand ups it feels like you're not really apart of it all.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear communication. BC welcomes ideas and sometimes gets carried away with too much ambition. This can sometimes make the employee's under you feel like they don't have a clear direction or goal in mind. At meetings, everyone should take notes. This is also apart of communication, I've seen where there was a meeting one day and the next, after implementing, it was a surprise that a small action took place when it was agreed upon in the meeting yesterday.

It's really fun, but not much money to be made

ECommerce Business Consultant (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsIt was a really fun place to work. Most of the people I loved working with are no longer there, but I am sure there are still a lot of great people at the company. The snacks, games, beer on Friday and generally laid back, young atmosphere are great - I missed them a lot when I left.

ConsThe best people and great culture don't pay my bills. I was promised FAR more than I made. The low base & low commission just aren't made up for with the hope of future payout from stock. If you want to work at a pretty cool place and don't need to make much money, I'd say go for it. If you need to make money, in sales at least, you'll be lucky to break $75,000 and you will bust your butt to get to that.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more realistic regarding compensation, increase compensation and decrease stock - the majority of your staff are young and struggling, recognize and invest in top talent when it is right in front of you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just Another Boiler Room

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsCool office, it has a very high-tech "start up" feel

ConsAll the fun stuff is just to attract more bodies. It's a cold-calling boiler room. You'll bother the same business owners bothered by Yodle, Main Street Hub, SEO Stars, Invenio.. all the same people selling the same garbage.

These companies (especially BigCommerce) all advertise happy young people dancing gangnam style and "rockin" the workplace. Puh-leeez... It's just another dead-end, advance fee scam.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt least admit what it is to new hires. Some hires may have a problem with the service.

Incredible company, great opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsBigcommerce has an incredible culture. The best thing about working at Bigcommerce is the relationships I have built with my coworkers. I enjoy going to work each and every morning. I like my manager. I feel confident in the direction the company is heading. I appreciate our core values, but I appreciate even more that we actually stand by them. I respect that people who don't care for them are asked to leave, or know they're not a good fit and find their way out. As far as I know we operate inline with my moral compass. We're very transparent with one another. We support each other at all turns. We don't yell, scream and fight each other to get our way. We work together to support our clients. Plus we have beer, snacks, games and we can skateboard to the kitchen.

ConsWe're currently undergoing such hyper-growth that things move very fast, leading to constant change. If you can't work when things change quickly, this may cause you stress. To me, it's exciting, and I look forward to the point where it all hits the mark.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease give employees more opportunity, whether it be new titles or more frequent pay incentives. This will build help retention.

Caring employees, the rest falls game to usual start-up growing pains

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Pros-some really smart, fun and passionate co-workers
    -nice amenities if you're in your 20's - "chillax" room, yoga, pool table, ping pong, game room, kegs, swings
    -good health insurance coverage; fitness incentives
    -flexible work-from-home hours if you have the right manager
    -great original core team and vision
    -originally felt like I was working for a company that truly did good

Cons-many of the smart, fun and passionate co-workers have left
    -if you're not in your 20's and this isn't your 1st/2nd job, the amenities don't outweigh the hours or commute
    -long hours if you don't set limits for yourself; if you do only work 40-50 hours you feel overwhelmed with not being able to get everything done in time
    -get the details and read the fine lines of your vacation and bonus agreement payouts
    -location/commute to 360 - completely removed from Austin and no local connection outside of the office wall murals
    -Australian headquarters makes decision making processes lengthy and over-complicated
    -moving from a small management team to a multilayer was not employee focused and completely changed the culture

The idea and drive behind the company is really positive and enticing, but the executive changes made in the past year have taken their toll on the culture and environment. Bringing in experienced VPs from larger companies seems like a logical step when growing from a start-up to desired IPO, but there is a huge gap between what used to be the core Directors fully immersed in what their teams were experiencing day-to-day to a now large VP core making decisions based on stats and ideas that in no way relate to what is going on at ground level.

Advice to Senior ManagementReevaluate if your core values of Simplify & Honesty are being practiced.
    Understand how many hours your employees are working to get your directives done, and help find ways to lessen the workload rather than giving awards for people working so hard.
    Don't pretend to care; actually care or don't say anything.

Bigcommerce is a fast-paced fast-growing company where everyone gives 110%.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSurrounded by passionate, super smart people. Little to no red tape. Stock options. Exciting, fun product. Helping small business owners on a global scale. Awesome, artsy office (all sorts of games, swings, free lunches, etc). Picky about new hires. Good benefits - 3 weeks paid vacation starting your first year.

ConsSome pressure to become a workaholic, stressful at times because of lofty growth goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote a healthier work-life balance.

Nothing but a great experience. Very fast paced environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSnacks. Game room. Very fun environment. Dual monitor setup at all desks. Entertaining company meetings on Fridays and nice location to work.

ConsI have looked high and low, but I cannot see any downsides to working at BigCommerce. the office is great.

An opportunity to change the world. And yes I went to Texas.

Account Executive (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWorking at Bigcommerce is like a dream come true. I have always wanted to be part of an industrial shift with the potential for multi-billion dollar disruption. That's pretty much what we have here, and it's as good as I thought it would be.

Besides that:
    -you're an owner here
    -we have the smartest people in the industry in every department
    -the opportunity to advance at the company comes at a price, the price is that you have to be willing to work harder than our current managers and executives (that can be intimidating for some, but welcomed for BC management material)
    -scooters, skateboards, foozball, Street Fighter, pool table, ping pong, every gaming system and more
    -snacks, drinks, beer
    -the Friday meeting is like a locker room hype session
    -people really care, really care
    -Robert Alvarez
    -Steven Power
    -Kirsten Knipp
    -Asok Boopathy
    -more, more and more

The thing about Bigcommerce is it's hard to get in and it's not easy to stay. We want people who believe in startup cultures focused on creating value and being held accountable to their role in making the overall company successful. If you can do that, care about, have fun with and hold your teammates in the highest regard, then you'll do fine and we want you here.

Oh yeah and be Humbitious about it.

ConsThere are a few downsides to working here. Being here is so intoxicating that you may find yourself working 12 hours a day and Sundays during football. You don't have to, but chances are you'll catch the bug. I know I did.

As an individual contributor, you may not always understand and/or agree with what our leadership is doing, but it would be good to trust them as they have done it before and they know how to create value.

The BC 15 (due to the cookies and cakes)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep rocking and rolling and focusing on keeping the mojo high.

All smoke and mirrors, don't be fooled

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFree beer and flip flops.

ConsUn-focused, lack of direction. Very aggressive sales culture and misguided marketing efforts. Unrealistic expectations for growth. They are no longer a start-up, but more like a publicly traded, quarterly reporting company who has lost their soul along the way.

Worked for BigCommerce? Contribute to the Community!