BigCommerce

Updated Apr 2, 2014

Eddie Machaalani & Mitchell Harper

Incredible company, great opportunities

I have been working at BigCommerce full-time for more than a year

ProsBigcommerce has an incredible culture. The best thing about working at Bigcommerce is the relationships I have built with my coworkers. I enjoy going to work each and every morning. I like my manager. I feel confident in the direction the company is heading. I appreciate our core values, but I appreciate even more that we actually stand by them. I respect that people who don't care for them are asked to leave, or know they're not a good fit and find their way out. As far as I know we operate inline with my moral compass. We're very transparent with one another. We support each other at all turns. We don't yell, scream and fight each other to get our way. We work together to support our clients. Plus we have beer, snacks, games and we can skateboard to the kitchen.

ConsWe're currently undergoing such hyper-growth that things move very fast, leading to constant change. If you can't work when things change quickly, this may cause you stress. To me, it's exciting, and I look forward to the point where it all hits the mark.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease give employees more opportunity, whether it be new titles or more frequent pay incentives. This will build help retention.

Caring employees, the rest falls game to usual start-up growing pains

Austin, TX

I worked at BigCommerce full-time for more than a year

Pros-some really smart, fun and passionate co-workers
-nice amenities if you're in your 20's - "chillax" room, yoga, pool table, ping pong, game room, kegs, swings
-good health insurance coverage; fitness incentives
-flexible work-from-home hours if you have the right manager
-great original core team and vision
-originally felt like I was working for a company that truly did good

Cons-many of the smart, fun and passionate co-workers have left
-if you're not in your 20's and this isn't your 1st/2nd job, the amenities don't outweigh the hours or commute
-long hours if you don't set limits for yourself; if you do only work 40-50 hours you feel overwhelmed with not being able to get everything done in time
-get the details and read the fine lines of your vacation and bonus agreement payouts
-location/commute to 360 - completely removed from Austin and no local connection outside of the office wall murals
-Australian headquarters makes decision making processes lengthy and over-complicated
-moving from a small management team to a multilayer was not employee focused and completely changed the culture

The idea and drive behind the company is really positive and enticing, but the executive changes made in the past year have taken their toll on the culture and environment. Bringing in experienced VPs from larger companies seems like a logical step when growing from a start-up to desired IPO, but there is a huge gap between what used to be the core Directors fully immersed in what their teams were experiencing day-to-day to a now large VP core making decisions based on stats and ideas that in no way relate to what is going on at ground level.

Advice to Senior ManagementReevaluate if your core values of Simplify & Honesty are being practiced.
Understand how many hours your employees are working to get your directives done, and help find ways to lessen the workload rather than giving awards for people working so hard.
Don't pretend to care; actually care or don't say anything.

Bigcommerce is a fast-paced fast-growing company where everyone gives 110%.

I have been working at BigCommerce full-time for less than a year

ProsSurrounded by passionate, super smart people. Little to no red tape. Stock options. Exciting, fun product. Helping small business owners on a global scale. Awesome, artsy office (all sorts of games, swings, free lunches, etc). Picky about new hires. Good benefits - 3 weeks paid vacation starting your first year.

ConsSome pressure to become a workaholic, stressful at times because of lofty growth goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote a healthier work-life balance.

An opportunity to change the world. And yes I went to Texas.

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at BigCommerce full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking at Bigcommerce is like a dream come true. I have always wanted to be part of an industrial shift with the potential for multi-billion dollar disruption. That's pretty much what we have here, and it's as good as I thought it would be.

Besides that:
-you're an owner here
-we have the smartest people in the industry in every department
-the opportunity to advance at the company comes at a price, the price is that you have to be willing to work harder than our current managers and executives (that can be intimidating for some, but welcomed for BC management material)
-scooters, skateboards, foozball, Street Fighter, pool table, ping pong, every gaming system and more
-snacks, drinks, beer
-the Friday meeting is like a locker room hype session
-people really care, really care
-Robert Alvarez
-Steven Power
-Kirsten Knipp
-Asok Boopathy
-more, more and more

The thing about Bigcommerce is it's hard to get in and it's not easy to stay. We want people who believe in startup cultures focused on creating value and being held accountable to their role in making the overall company successful. If you can do that, care about, have fun with and hold your teammates in the highest regard, then you'll do fine and we want you here.

Oh yeah and be Humbitious about it.

ConsThere are a few downsides to working here. Being here is so intoxicating that you may find yourself working 12 hours a day and Sundays during football. You don't have to, but chances are you'll catch the bug. I know I did.

As an individual contributor, you may not always understand and/or agree with what our leadership is doing, but it would be good to trust them as they have done it before and they know how to create value.

The BC 15 (due to the cookies and cakes)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep rocking and rolling and focusing on keeping the mojo high.

Nothing but a great experience. Very fast paced environment.

Austin, TX

I worked at BigCommerce full-time for less than a year

ProsSnacks. Game room. Very fun environment. Dual monitor setup at all desks. Entertaining company meetings on Fridays and nice location to work.

ConsI have looked high and low, but I cannot see any downsides to working at BigCommerce. the office is great.

All smoke and mirrors, don't be fooled

I worked at BigCommerce full-time

ProsFree beer and flip flops.

ConsUn-focused, lack of direction. Very aggressive sales culture and misguided marketing efforts. Unrealistic expectations for growth. They are no longer a start-up, but more like a publicly traded, quarterly reporting company who has lost their soul along the way.

Bigscam

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at BigCommerce full-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome coworkers, great facility, great location and really good product.

ConsWrong impression of what to expect when you get here. It seems like heaven in the first 2 weeks. If you don't make your 65+ calls a day and meet your quota you are out the door in 2 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on people it always pays off!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not Quite Ready for Prime Time...A lot.

ECommerce Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at BigCommerce full-time for more than a year

Pros-great new office space
-stocked break areas with sodas/teas/waters/coffees and all sort of snack items
-Friday all-hands meetings, with a keg!

Cons-product whose profound bugs and feature limitations make it hard to sell against competitor products
-we have been told that we are to 'get the credit card number and move on'--so it's not relationship-based selling but a land grab whether or not the prospect truly needs the product
-the claim of every employee having a voice--this couldn't be further from the truth
-a boys club to rival the best of them
-no appreciation or respect for the amounts of work one puts in, no matter how far above
-V-level staff are crude, inappropriate, and nightmarish
-HR has wildly inconsistent practices regarding employee handling
-such unrealistic goals that some employees game the system to 'meet' those goals and then are subsequently rewarded for gaming the system, while those who don't cheat the system are punished for not reaching those realistically unreasonable goals
-we don't receive technical training on the product, so even if we wanted to our had the liberty and luxury to make appropriate sales, we don't understand the product

Advice to Senior Management-the CEO twins should really listen to the experts they've hired. You're both terribly smart, but you hired them for a reason, and you should listen to them. You don't have the experience in all these areas like your staff do.
-FIX the product so that it does what we tell customers it will do

Good Company to work for.

I have been working at BigCommerce full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood culture for employees. Progressive modern environment with lots of perks. Good benefits and compensation for entry level marketing positions. Good place to start your career.

ConsSome pressure to sell or upgrade accounts. Does not address customer issues consistently. Needs to upgrade product templates to be more competitive with competition. Constant turnover needs to find ways to retain current employees as their are many other similar positions in area.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive customers more tools and resources.

I have no complaints - I love it at Bigcommerce!

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsWhere to start?
- Great people
- Fully stocked kitchens (yep, there are two) - all the snacks & drinks you could ask for (but, maybe this is a con?)
-Wait, no - there's a gym on site so the snacks are still a pro
-There are swings in the office
-You can walk to the other departments or ride on a razor scooter
-Health insurance is free for employees
-Great training program
-Awesome management team
-Casual dress code
-Free lunch every Tuesday
-Game room (with video games, foozball table, ping pong table, pool table)
-Beer on Fridays (there are always two kegs on tap)
-Brand new office
-Generous stock program

ConsI honestly haven't experienced anything negative at Bigcommerce.

Advice to Senior ManagementDuring our explosive growth - stay true to our core values. I can't imagine you wouldn't, but it asked for advice...

Worked for BigCommerce? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BigCommerce reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BigCommerce CEO Eddie Machaalani & Mitchell Harper. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by BigCommerce employees.