BigMachines

BigMachines Reviews

Updated May 7, 2014

BigMachines CEO David Bonnette

David Bonnette

Pros:
  • "Although the company is growing rapidly, you will feel like you're around family"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Stocked kitchens, beer on Fridays, company outings"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay in exchange for great experience"
    in 11 reviews
  • "It sounds like the new management that was brought in by the Board is just the opposite"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fast paced, educational...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStrong Cultural beliefs, values training, and fringe benefits like Friday lunches and Friday happy hours are nice as well.

ConsLayers of new management.
    Compensation/Benefits need to increase since HQ is in Deerfield, IL, not Chicago downtown.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter, more open communication

So sad to see what has evolved

Manager (Former Employee)
    Deerfield, IL

ProsDon't know. It used to be great, and I would sing its praises whenever I could. Being an early employee, my career grew exponentially thanks to the opportunities I had at BigMachines. If you worked hard and proved yourself, the promotions and advancement were limitless. Unfortunately, I don't think it's the same place now as it was then.

ConsI stumbled onto this site looking for something else, and happened to click on the BigMachines profile. Reading the employee reviews and how dissatisfied they are with the current state of BM just makes me happy that I left when I did (several years ago for reasons unrelated to dissatisfaction). I left when the old management regime was still there, and all were well respected, smart, and nice folks. The kind of people that you knew had your back if you needed it, and seemed to really care about employee happiness. It sounds like the new management that was brought in by the Board is just the opposite. That is a shame.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know most of you new people, but it really looks like you need to listen to your employees more.

Good place to gain experience

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Deerfield, IL

ProsGreat people, relaxed work environment, intellectually stimulating work, lots of perks (free lunches once a week, free beer on Fridays)

ConsPay is low for the industry, people who aren't "in" with the right people tend not to be noticed regardless of talent or work ethic

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency, less favoritism. You talk to us all the time about how smart BigMachines employees are--treat us that way.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Implementation Engineer

Senior Implementation Engineer, Professional Services (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsYoung Environment. Good out of college job.

ConsIf only they had better salary...

Been Great

Deerfield, IL

ProsThe people working here are great to work with. The company is growing rather quickly. Free Meals on Friday, Beer on Fridays, everyone working here really knows what they are doing. Company sponsored outings monthly.

ConsThe work load can be pretty high, though I dont really consider that a con. You will be busy pretty much the entire day, which makes the day go by rather quickly. Some of the other reviews are accurate by saying that there is usually 1 person, maybe 2 leaving a week ... but they are also hiring 20-30 a month.

Glad to be out of there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsFlexible in time management if you need to make an appointment.
    Free food and snacks in office.
    Free beer on Fridays which seems to entice the college kids but is not very productive.

Cons- Product complex to implement for what i can do.
    - Highest turnover of staff ever experienced with. Usually at least one person a week leaving.
    - Junior people promoted too quickly to pointless created positions just to try to keep them.
    - Procedures/Policies made by young members of staff with no experience that have to be followed by people who actually know how to do the job properly.
    - Interview aptitude math test is pointless for majority of roles applied for.

Advice to Senior Management- Pay for experienced people rather than as little as you can for new graduates who only stay until they find something else.

A fun ever-changing venture with mild rewards

Deerfield, IL

Pros-Can get lots of experience really fast.
    -good environment to learn
    - great employee base

Cons-cannot keep experienced employees and leaders.
    -added responsibilities come without added compensation

Advice to Senior ManagementFairly reward experience within the company. Fight to retain valuable employees. Takes 4 new hires to do the work of someone that's been around for 1 year.

Horrible Employee Relations Leads to Dissatisfaction

ConsAtmosphere
    President plays favoritism
    Pay
    Expect you to work 60+ hrs a week for low pay
    Make it clear they don't care if employees leave

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs to change and realize that its employees make the company, not the other way around

The most amazing place to work

Director (Current Employee)
    Deerfield, IL

Pros#1=the people. Growing at an incredible rate. 70 employees to 400 in under 3 years. Room to move up and/or sideways to do whatever you are passionate about. Everybody in the company is on a level playing field. Culture of accountability. Working together on everything, not a dictatorship at ANY level from the top to the bottom. Brilliant minds working together towards a common goal leads to successes, fulfillment, loyalty, and dedication; things that seem to have fallen by the wayside over the past 30 years. In a sentence, "You WILL love working here, I promise"

ConsGrowing pains: we are growing so fast that sometimes it hurts

Used to be a great place to work. Now it's painful to come in every day.

San Mateo, CA

Pros- Friendly and incredibly intelligent coworkers (because of the crazy aptitude test you have to take to get in).
    - Good view from the office.

Cons- Upper management is disconnected from the employees. They just don't care.
    - Hard work is not being recognized.
    - Promotions are not real, mostly lateral moves.
    - The fun "work hard/play really hard" culture created by our founder/CEO (who was pushed out of the company) is completely gone. Now it's just a "work hard/work hard" because there is no one left to do the work. People have literally been leaving every week.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare.

Worked for BigMachines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BigMachines reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BigMachines CEO David Bonnette. All 75 reviews posted anonymously by BigMachines employees.