Biggby Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Bob Fish

Pros
  • Free drink on shift, great customers, and friendly coworkers (in 5 reviews)

• The company's approach to customer service is great (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • I thought a 50 cent raise was ok from shift leader to (in 6 reviews)

• Very low pay for management positions (in 5 reviews)

1. Shift Leader

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Saint Clair Shores, MI
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Saint Clair Shores, MI

I worked at Biggby part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very fun job. The people you work with made the job as fun as it was, plus most customers made each day something different.

Cons

The owner of the store was awful to work for. He did not seem to have a good understanding of hours, labor or how to support his stores as we were running out of product on a weekly basis.

Advice to Management

Get an actual GM and let him/her run the store instead of having a store manager that has to run everything by management.

2. Overall a good experience.

Former Employee - Barista in Portage, MI
    Former Employee - Barista in Portage, MI

Pros

Fast paced and energetic atmosphere.

Cons

Not many hours, low pay.

3. Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Barista in Ypsilanti, MI
    Former Employee - Barista in Ypsilanti, MI

I worked at Biggby (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training, you really feel more confident when you start working Free Shift drinks Fun environment Really good at working around your schedule

Cons

Low pay Entitled customers Lots of cleaning- not really a con, it's necessary, just sucks

5. Shift Leader

I worked at Biggby part-time

Pros

Getting to learn about coffee Workplace promotes good teamwork Ability to move higher in position after short periods of time

Cons

Low pay even when promoted to non-entry level: store managers make ~$10/hr which is less than cost of living at 40 hrs a week. Depending on the store you may be told to allow coupons after expiration or designated for other specific locations, or the opposite, you are told to deny them and customers say things like "What!? You're not going to honor this?". My store flip flopped on this issue which really bothered me. Getting time off can sometimes be difficult even with a month's notice. Restocking the front display is quite the busy work during shift.

Advice to Management

Pay employees more. I was regarded by my store manager as a great employee; I may have stayed longer if I was able to pay at least rent and food with my wages. Change data entry forms to match what the receipts say. Data entry as shift leader was chaotic at best.

6. Barista

Current Employee - Barista in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Barista in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Biggby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Free coffee- Free brewed coffee anytime and free drinks with every shift. Can't beat that, especially as a college student. - Friendly management and coworkers- I work with some of the nicest people I've ever met. The store is almost like a family and I couldn't pick better coworkers if I tried. - Great emphasis on customer service- You get to talk to so many interesting people everyday, and just spreading that joy is so rewarding. - Flexible working hours- You can work as little or as much as you want, and they always work around holidays, vacations, and time you need off for studying.

Cons

- Minimum wage, and only a small bump up when you become a shift leader which entails quite a bit more work, especially with closing. - Training is not adequate. They ask you unanswerable questions about the topic of the day at the beginning of the training shift, they don't teach some basic things (ie how to prepare iced coffee or frozen tea lattes or how to open and close), but you have to worry so much about memorizing PERC exactly how it is written. - Customers can't leave tips on credit cards. - The "pop-in" evaluation system isn't very representative of the store. IE: You're supposed to ask every customer the 'register' questions. During a morning rush with regulars, I'm not going to waste their time running through this list when I know they just want black coffee. I've realized that college/middle aged people are the most receptive to the "extra shot" upsell, and that children and elderly people are most receptive to the food upsells. I try to provide the best service without wasting customer's time and this results in lost points on a pop in score.

Advice to Management

- Revamp the training and re-evaluate the pop-in method.

7. Barista

Current Employee - Barista
    Current Employee - Barista

I have been working at Biggby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, interactive environment with people who care and love making coffee! Flexible hours, great job for students who want to make a supplemental income.

Cons

Strange corporate structure and training policies/functions. Feels a bit awkward and uncomfortable, rather than educational.

Advice to Management

Change the training manual and videos to be more professional looking. Maybe hire a graphic designer who specifically trained in curriculum design or videography.

Experience depends on the location and management

I worked at Biggby part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a great experience at the first Biggby I worked at. The manager was straightforward and encouraging, my coworkers were super friendly and helpful. Barista work is pretty easy, it's all about dealing with the rushes of customers.

Cons

The second Biggby I worked at was a terrible experience. Our store went through five different head managers in a three month period. The last manager I worked with was a terrible communicator and accused me of not notifying her of my availability after I emailed her and spoke to her and another manager face to face about it. My coworkers were very unfriendly and did not know how to handle pressure.

Advice to Management

Please hire managers better equipped to handle the workload of managing a coffee shop.

9. "Coffeehouse"

I worked at Biggby part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun interaction with customers. You get to deal with coffee every day. Free Coffee anytime even off work.

Cons

Poor management. Inventory running out constantly. Old machines constantly breaking down.

Advice to Management

Order the appropriate amount of inventory. Clean vat of iced coffee more often. It was pretty disgusting.

10. Barbista

Former Employee - Barbista in Shelby Township, MI
    Former Employee - Barbista in Shelby Township, MI

I worked at Biggby (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work at. Very Clean. I enjoyed my co-workes and the people who came into the company. It was always clean.

Cons

I didnt like the work hours also it was not very organized. Different rules for each person. Needed to be structured better.

Advice to Management

Keep the structure the same for everyone. Especially since it is a franchise. Talking to customers isnt always a bad thing if the work is being completed. It helps keep a client/worker relationship. And makes people come back

11. Barista

Pros

Great skill development, teamwork, time management, multi-tasking.

Cons

Your experience depends greatly on management because it is a franchise.

RSS Feed </> Embed