Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Reset
3.2
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation CEO Susan Desmond-Hellmann
Susan Desmond-Hellmann

Pros
  • Great benefits and retirement package (in 18 reviews)

• New campus is beautiful and gives an appearance of transparency (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The amazing work-life balance others report is solely dependent upon the team you land in and the manager you have (in 12 reviews)

• There isn't a clear program structure for summer interns to get full-time jobs at the Foundation (in 10 reviews)

1. Innovative Environment

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time

Pros

impactful and challenging work, strong community of intelligent colleagues, good work life balance

Cons

overly consensus driven - lack of decision making, frustrating processes

Advice to Management

Invest in developing your employees, think more thoughtfully of the interactions with strategic partners

Great benefits

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Pros

Awesome mission and really cool opportunities to see famous speakers. Awesome campus. Really good pay and great benefits (free health care, 6 months maternity/paternity leave, 15% employer contribution to 401K. New CEO and management is great.

Cons

Very analytical. Need more coordinators & partnership experts. Work to simply processes is underway and needed.

Advice to Management

Really like the new direction - continue to reduce the operational complexity!

3. Gates Foundation

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time

Pros

Mission of the foundation is easy to get behind - all lives have equal value. Work with good people. Health clinic on site, focus on sustainability

Cons

No direct bus routes
    decision making either drawn out or not thought thoroughly through
    may involve a lot of travel for certain positions

5. Programmatic role

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Pros

Strong benefits (12 weeks maternity/paternity leave + ability to add vacation, low co-pay, wide coverage); compensation is average and uneven but decent enough; nice campus; many learning opportunities and ability to be creative and risk-taking about solving big problems; great colleagues; options to work remotely with flexible hours

Cons

Meeting heavy; poor management (indecisive, churning around ideas without concrete actions; bullying behavior goes unaddressed); little investment in staff and little career growth with some teams having an outright "no promotions" policy; little value for institutional knowledge but without strong IT-related knowledge management systems so a lot of information walks out the door when staff/consultants leave; constant focus on strategy refreshes/reviews which pull staff from primary work; unsupportive HR (or rather HR is clearly there to protect the company rather than the staff); at the moment, there has been a crack-down on hiring consultants--that combined with a lean staffing model and too few junior staff, burn out is high and quality is going down as employees are stretched beyond capacity and can't devote enought time to any one thing; highly stressful environment; great values on paper but they don't translate toward staff

Advice to Management

Value your staff and create career growth opportunities. Invest in knowledge management systems.

Prepare for bureaucracy if you work here.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits package is outstanding.
    Some genuinely nice people.
    The belief that what you are doing is truly helping to save the world.
    Beautiful offices and landscaping.
    Onsite fitness gym and food (food is not free).

Cons

Continual hiring of individuals only for their field/specialty talent results in individuals in key roles who have no experience or interest with people management, career development, technology, or communication skills beyond the grantees.

The framework (of how teams report upwards) and executive leadership continues to operate in a clunky old-boys club fashion. Considering how dismal morale is across the entire company, I and many others believe that change is currently underway; however, the change is being done in such a mean, rapid, and secretive state that many current employees such as myself are meant to feel like pawns.

The family feeling that once existed as vanished and there is no hope of it coming back. Bill and Melinda have not been present.

Advice to Management

Realize that overhauling this company can be done nicely, with dignity and respect for everyone involved.

If all lives have equal value, then what about all lives deserve the truth.

Great people, great mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people
    Interesting work
    Travel opportunities
    Grantee interactions
    Supportive team

Cons

hard to get in the work in 40 hours
    middle management needs help

Advice to Management

Boost career options, tier positions (add a senior PC)

Highly political, toxic and challenging environment. High degree of burnout

Current Employee - SPO in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - SPO in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great benefits and prestige
    Talented and hard-working employees

Cons

-- Highly political and toxic environment which causes burnout.
    -- Internal politics prevent their talented employees from maximizing the impacts of their work externally.
    -- Wasted too much time in navel gazing, popularity contest and internal processes - it's a shame because there's so much unrealized potential.
    -- Poor middle management - most middle managers are more concerned about managing up and politics than developing their staff.
    -- The foundation is in the process of major staff downsizing but is unable to prioritize its ambitious scope of work. With ever expanding amount of work and dwindling workforce, the high level of burn-out is not going to get any better. Do not expect work-life balance.
    -- When I saw my primary care physician for my annual check-up, she asked me where I worked. When I told her I worked for the Gates Foundation, her response was "uh huh...tough place to work. I have lots of patients working there. You better take care of yourself..." The foundation seems to have established a reputation for high burnout and prevalent use of anti-depressant.
    -- Tools and systems are surprisingly inadequate and ineffective considering the amount of resources it has. To develop any sort of analysis, it requires significant time suck and manual work required by employees, and the results are usually suboptimal.

no promotions on some teams

Current Employee - Associate Program Officer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Associate Program Officer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

career advancement, and pay is generous when compared externally

Cons

pay and responsibilities for the APO job range exorbitantly.

Advice to Management

get your leadership act together and if you want to provide career opportunities for young people, don't let certain directors declare a "no promotions" policy. Program business partners in HR are not working for the staff, they're only working for the directors.

Stay FAR, FAR way from here

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time

Pros

Everyone talks about how "smart" people are here, but having worked in numerous companies in the greater Seattle area, I can tell you they are no "smarter" than anyone else..especially in IT and HR!! If "arrogance" translates to "Smart"...then I guess each one is a genius! NO PROS other than a nice campus in a horrid location, some nice coworkers

Cons

Middle management absolutely SUCKS at BMGF!! I've never seen such poor decisions, such inability to get RID of troublemakers and poor performers, and such spin and drama around absolutely everything. The bottom line is that this company doesn't have to worry ABOUT the bottom line, so people just MILK Mr. Gates to death and he doesn't have a clue as to how poorly his foundation is managed. LOTS of spoiled little brats running around, doing NOTHING...especially in HR!! ...worst HR team I have ever seen. I'd fire 90% of them.

Advice to Management

Read the cons...kinda clear. You are CLUELESS

Mixed

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Pros

Good compensation and benefits for non-profit

Cons

Work life balance does not exist

RSS Feed </> Embed