Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Reviews

Updated Apr 2, 2014

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation CEO Jeff Raikes

Jeff Raikes

Pros:
  • "The foundation offers a very comfortable working envt, great benefits and fantastic learning opportunities"
    in 12 reviews
  • "The benefits can't be beat and the environment is stunning in the new campus"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "The amazing work-life balance others report is solely dependent upon the team you land in and the manager you have"
    in 10 reviews
  • "per hour to inform their decision making"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

good foundation, great mission, questionable internal politics

IT Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat mission, loved the fact that you felt your work everyday impacted others who are less fortunate. The benefits, even as a contractor are great, snacks / drinks on site, wonderful location, right next to the space needle. Great compensation for my position, I have heard this is similar throughout the organization, at lots of levels. On-site cafeteria is amazing, probably on par with Microsoft campus, if not better.

ConsBizarre internal politics, team A will let team B fail just so they can claim 'they told you so', things I've never seen in corporate america or anywhere really. A lot of times as a contractor you will be dangled a carrot (of a full time position) that will never materialize (minor critique).

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the 'old boys club' mentality, focus on the people and the mission, not keeping your buddies protected. Overall, I think these are minor issues to contend with and nothing that won't be worked out over time. I think the vast majority of people at the foundation are bright and talented and contribute to the overall focus moving forward.

Inconsistent and work against each other

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time

ProsBenefits are great. The Campus is beautiful.

ConsNo one seems to care where the buck stops. It is very silo'd and decisions are made in teams or departments and likely are duplicated elsewhere leading to overly complicated processes and waste.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccountability is key. People should not re-create operations positions in the programs.

Management skills are still problematic

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Feeling like you are trying to do good in this world
- Amazing depth of experiences and knowledge in your coworkers
- People you meet are impressed with your employer
- (for some) Great opportunities to travel, meet other influential people, etc.
- (for some) Great professional development opportunities

Cons-Read the other reviews in Glassdoor - the management problem is still a problem. They hire people for knowledge or connections, and then expect them to manage human beings. They then don't reprimand managers who have high turn-over underneath them, or who have multiple complaints to HR about them. Usually, they end up promoting the bad managers.
- HR exists only to protect upper-level echelon management. Do not expect them to assist in workplace conflict, to respond quickly or at all in cases of abuse, or to guide in professional development. If you complain or ask for guidance, you will be seen as a problem and there will be a 'performance' issue in your future.
- There's a lot of 'good job!' to your face, and then finding out from your manager that there was a problem with your work. Not that your manager can tell you exactly what that problem was or how to improve, just that your work is unsatisfactory and you need to do better. It hasn't happened to me (yet), but I've seen multiple junior level officers go through this.
- If you are anything lower than an SPO, you are treated as completely unimportant, despite those roles being the major workhorses on the team. It is acceptable behavior for senior management to scream and belittle PAs and PCs (don't bother going to HR about it) and for SPOs to 'forget' how to do basic tasks like print documents.
- Diversity? It can be hard to find. Upper management is dominated by whites, mostly by men. Some teams (including some that would surprise you) are almost completely white, with only the support staff being of color. Hidden diversity can be even more difficult, although the home office is very accepting of GLTBQ.
- Over-reliance on consultants, including those who are grossly overpaid. They build knowledge and take it outside of the foundation, and are working for their own benefit, not for ours. Plus, some of the managers who hire them are easily dazzled by academic soft-shoeing - they could hire graduate students to do the same work and pay them 30K per year.
- It's hard to trust your coworkers or your team. You never know when you will be reassigned or a coworker will be let go...or if you'll be the one to be let go next. It's hard to stay invested in a project or a team when you know that you could show up to work tomorrow and be told that your portfolio is now being covered by someone else...with no explanation.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect all human lives - including your employees. Treat management personnel issues as important - management ineptitude results in lost work-efficiency and turnover costs the foundation money (yes, it would be cheaper in both short & long run to replace the problem manager than to keep replacing staff). Invest in HR improvements - it is currently considered to be the secret police of the foundation; aka, no one trusts them. Particularly when they are 'investigating' a bad annual survey. When you've seen the track record of people being let go because they reported management issues, do you really think that people want to identify themselves from an anonymous survey?

Good mission, great benefits.

Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe mission you support is excellent as are the benefits.

ConsThe salaries are little low and advancement isn't really possible.

It is a very different place from the organization that I started working at

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

ProsNo matter where in the organization, you feel like you are part of something that is intent on making changes from next door to all over the world.
Location is near South Lake Union, right next to Seattle Center so you are near lots of activities.
Good food onsite.
Open working environment with the technology to back it up.
I have a lot of great memories there.

ConsSilo'd Teams, a great deal of opportunity for improvement in communication departments.
As the size has grown larger, the culture has changed, politicking is what gets you ahead instead of whether you are moving the team ahead.
Risk is equated with bad, things are said to encourage it but...
Hiring from outside is the norm, once you are in.

Life changing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time

ProsGreat place to work with the best mission of any org always challenging. You learn more about yourself and the world working there. Fantastic people

ConsLot of politics; lots of Type A personalities

Invaluable experience at a failed organization, especially early in career

Program Officer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great mission; big audacious goals
- Incredible campus right near downtown
- Many informal opportunities for learning, such as lunch and learn (esp. across silos)
- Very good cafeteria
- Great benefits and retirement package
- Robust culture that keeps you on your toes
- Many lessons learned about working with difficult people in a very politically complex environment (see cons)

ConsI've received invaluable experience; learning how to not manage an organization. If management education programs are about giving you the tools to successfully manage an organization, the foundation abounds with lessons from the other side of the coin.

Valuable learning in:

- Sustaining a culture of distrust and animosity both between teams and between layers in the chain of command
- Spending billions on foreign investments with little to no accountability
- Selecting inappropriate technology solutions and rolling them out improperly
- Engaging external consultants at a very high price while not setting value expectations
- The risks of putting HR in charge of managing an organization's people with no checks and balances

The foundation is a total shipwreck, but shipwrecks are valuable warnings to others so they may navigate a safer course.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot too much here.

I write that because leadership frequently solicits unvarnished feedback on the work and our environment, receives it, then promptly discards it.

Toxic, hypocritical organization

Analyst (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

Prosgood salary, some good friends, interesting projects, helping people globally - not much else I can say. Oh yes, nice campus, but the "security" people are absolutely suffocating and arrogant.

Conshorrid management, game playing, toxic/incompetent management, WAY too many contractors that create undue pressure and a revolving door, competitive environment where people stab each other in the back and get away with it, the worst HR team on the planet. SO glad I'm gone from this place. The only thing that kept me there was the money/benefits, but I just nailed a role with someone else making more. Nice... Can't wait to recruit the good people way from this toxic organization.

Advice to Senior Managementfire yourselves! You contribute nothing and you only take. You're spoiled brats and wouldn't amount anything if you couldn't use the "Gates" name. You're clueless as to how to manage people and career growth. Your talk absolutely does NOT match your walk in any way, shape or form.

Toxic culture and managers prevent contributing consistently towards worthwhile foundation mission

Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAdding BMGF name to your resume
Beautiful campus
Competitive pay and benefits

ConsSubject matter experts with no previous people-managing experience consistently given supervisory roles over teams. This lack of leadership experience (and yes folks, leading is different than managing) coupled with the elitist, politically deceitful and purposeful back-stabbing of colleagues, team-members and consultants results in a perfect-storm of toxicity and dehumanizing behavior. Shamefully, you'll find this behavior not only tolerated, but rewarded and enabled at the cost of rapid mass exodus from toxic teams. Is upper management really unable to discern that the problem is the so-called leader placed over these teams?

Witnessing borderline abusive and demoralizing approaches with employees, contingent workers(who truly are treated as sub-human at times) and consultants with no accountability, for years now, is stomach-churning, at best.

HR team is liken to the foundation's personal mafia. Do NOT engage this department unless you are prepared to be targeted next. Sadly, our team has watched multiple highly skilled, accomplished, capable team members fall wayside to their procedure "siding with upper management to create 'performance issues' for employees who seek their guidance or bring legitimate grievances to their attention". Not safe! The revolving doors in teams across the foundation are testament to this.

The amazing work-life balance others report is solely dependent upon the team you land in and the manager you have. For many, expect to work 60+ hours, with direction to report anything over 40 hours as overtime, then prepare to defend your "level of efficiency" as a thank-you for your hard work.

If you are seeking employment here, be sure to conduct your due-diligence about the specific reputation, practices, and managing principles of your potential team. This may make or break your entire experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement transparent 360 reviews for any people managers with a method that protects the input-providers, if you care to know the truth about the good, bad and ugly team dynamics. Then, support your worker base by firing inept and toxic managers and replacing them with experienced people managers who seek to serve their teams, enhance the unity with other teams and best serve the foundation's mission.

It's better than you've heard

Associate Program Officer (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

ProsWorking at the Gates Foundation provides an opportunity to be on the leading edge of work in your field with very smart colleagues, generous salary / benefits, and immense resources. People are, by and large, there because they're passionate about what they're doing. The Foundation is working very consciously to improve both their external and internal reputation. The connections you make while working there will take your career in amazing directions.

ConsSeattle culture infiltrates the Foundation. There's a lot of talking and there can be annoying turf issues. Expensive outside consultants are used too often and consultant-speak unintelligible to normal humans is ubiquitous (e.g. "boil the ocean", "surface learnings", "convening"). It is a family foundation, too, which means that an extraordinary amount of energy and time are devoted to getting and keeping the "co-chairs" engaged in your work. If they don't get or agree with the direction of where you're going, it doesn't happen. There is a definite bias toward technology solutions, even where they aren't appropriate. And it is easily the most narcissistic place I have ever worked. "Tell us more about us! Tell us how bad we are! We want your open and honest feedback!" My biggest frustration is the lack of internal mentors or conscious career development. That and "the matrix"-- which alludes to the number of people you need to involve in anything you do. It's been humbling. Know that it is not a "dream job".

The best way to get there is to be great at what you do in your field. I ignore anyone who hits me up on LinkedIn because they've "always wanted to work at the Foundation!". That starts happening a lot once you begin working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in a formal alumni network. Focus on career development, knowing that you are building a powerful force for change even beyond your employees' tenure at the Foundation. (Career development is not the same thing as professional development.)

Worked for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation? Contribute to the Community!

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Videos

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation – Why Work for Us?

We are inspired by the mission, All Lives Have Equal Value, and compelled by the opportunity to make an impact -- before, during, and after our time at the foundation. Experienced, and highly engaged, we set… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation CEO Jeff Raikes. All 94 reviews posted anonymously by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation employees.