www.gatesfoundation.org

Updated October 7, 2014
3.3

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation CEO Susan Desmond-Hellmann
Susan Desmond-Hellmann

Pros
  • Great benefits and retirement package (in 18 reviews)

• New campus is beautiful and gives an appearance of transparency (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The amazing work-life balance others report is solely dependent upon the team you land in and the manager you have (in 12 reviews)

• Support of management for consultants is more than the full time employees (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Really enjoyed my experience as an intern

Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern, I was provided with a clear project and goals for the summer. I was invited to meetings with senior leadership and got to present my recommendations to the team. The office space was amazing, very green and a great atmosphere. Seattle is also amazing in the summer time.

Cons

There isn't a clear program structure for summer interns to get full-time jobs at the Foundation. There is some bureaucracy which makes it hard to get things to change quickly. I was also told that people are passive aggressive though I didn't see that myself.

Allow interns to get full-time job offers

Best of Times, Worst of Times

Former Employee - Professional/Program in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Professional/Program in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Phenomenal salary and benefits.
    -Very bright colleagues
    -Access to the best minds and most cutting-edge work in your field
    -Opportunity to support amazing people doing amazing work
    -Culture of genuine commitment to mission by both staff and management (though I encountered some careerists, too)
    -Excellent work flexibility as long as you perform, and the tools you need to take advantage of that flexibility
    -Great business/IT/ops/travel/Events, etc support teams.
    -Great food, generous events.

Cons

-What others have written about the politics and bureaucracy are true. The place can sometimes feel like something out of Kafka or Heller.
    -It's also true that it can be a very cut-throat place, but that varied by team, manager, and director.
    -And it's also true about the perpetually shifting sands, continual reorgs, and endless Powerpoints. I think one reason for this is the unrealistic goal-setting, at least in some program areas. Departments often set themselves up for failure by setting goals that are nearly impossible and whose achievement they have no control over.
    -Permanent sense of inadequacy: Despite year after year of positive reviews and 360s there was always a nagging sense of inadequacy. (As one colleague, a Stanford PhD, once put it, "I've never worked anywhere where I felt so dumb.") I felt bad about myself all the time, even when I was winning awards for service.
    -There is a lot of churn, and very little chance for advancement. But it should be noted that the organization is very up-front about this. They make it clear: No career ladder. And while there are no formal "term limits" for program staff, there's an expectation that you'll cycle back into your field after 3-5 years.
    -All the policies and tools that enable you to work anytime, anywhere--which is great for flexibility--can, along with all the pressure, make work-life balance difficult. (But some managers and directors do try to mitigate the problem, with some success.)

None. One of the big lessons I learned there is how difficult it is, even with all the talent and resources you could possibly want, to create an efficient, effective organization. All the complaints you read here about bureaucracy and "politics" and abrupt shifts and reorgs, isn't for lack of a lot really smart people trying hard to make it better. That lesson was humbling.

Given 200%, work 80hr weeks, build a lot of slide decks, and leave with a very thick skin...

Former Employee - Program Officer
    Former Employee - Program Officer

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One of the first annual meetings I attended, they listed the people who had been with the foundation for 5yrs & 10 yrs, respectively. I didn't realize until a colleague pointed it out, but the list was almost entirely composed of admin staff. Benefits are great for this sector (retirement savings, travel, etc), but the shelf life of most staff (save admin staff) is about 2 years. On balance, some very talented and smart colleagues with challenging work that is not constrained by resources (not your typical NGO). Seattle campus is well designed.

Cons

I worked as a program officer for the foundation for six years. The mission statement of the foundation is that "All lives have equal value." The largest irony of my work experience at the foundation is that the internal motto should be, "All lives have equal value, except if you're a contract worker, admin staff, someone without direct access to senior leadership, or has Bill and Melinda on speed dial." Your value in this organization is in your job title, and everyone acts accordingly.

My short summary:

If the work doesn't kill you (they extract as much out of you as possible b/c you are very replaceable), then the work politics will. Just as the foundation is not a perpetual funder, it is NOT a perpetual employer. The work culture and environment is designed to ensure a half life about of 1.5 years for most employees. For an organization that can afford world class technical talent, it's HR division is possibly one of the worst I have witnessed (and I worked in government for a brief period of time). I believe this is by design as a completely incompetent HR division ensures no one sticks around too long. In fact, there are almost no paths for career growth as they expect your shelf life to be less than 2-3 years.

One of the pros I list above in terms of resources (and there is a lot of it floating around) creates some of the most bizarre office politics. Type A people (almost 80% of the staff) will trip over themselves to control and command those resources, and if you're in the way (which you mostly are) then you will be thrown under the bus in the name of someone else's glory. It happens often.

The first signal I knew something was deeply flawed in this work environment: the marker of a successful team meeting was that no one walked away crying (literally).

You will be rewarded for "managing up" towards the senior leadership, but there is almost no accountability for how you manage down or within a team. Kiss up and kick down. You will survive well if you follow this simple principle.

In the end, I did a lot of work -- some of it meaningful, but i feel much of it was a lot of hot air pushed by people who wanted to make a mark for themselves in the two years they would be spending at the foundation. This myopia is shameful but omnipresent. But, the organization seems to thrive on it b/c it has the resources to entertain so many vanity trips.

Closely examine the organization's values, and see if you promote a work culture that emulates them.

Rewarding in some ways, but tough environment with few growth opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission, great place to learn about a wide variety of topics, brilliant and fun colleagues. Get to be creative in what we fund although this is getting harder as the foundation becomes more bureaucratic. New CEO is fantastic, hope she rubs off on the rest of the foundation quickly. Very flexible in where we do our work (easy to work from remotely). Great benefits.

Cons

Manager capabilities are very mixed. Too much time spent working and rehashing strategies. Growth opportunities and promotions are very political. Ethically questionable and unsupportive HR department. Lack of transparency and consistency around why people are hired into which positions and promoted into others; it all seems very arbitrary. Culture and values are more rhetoric than actual.

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Pros

The dedication around the office is unbelievable. I've worked in a lot of charities before, and this tops them all. Great benefits and an improved world.

Cons

Very hierarchal culture; Nothing else

Great people, but terrible systems, HR and wasted resources

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time

Pros

Dynamic work environment, plentiful resources (relative to other NGOs), great people (more on the non-programmatic side), great benefits, compelling mission

Cons

Work-life balance is non-existent, artificial "fire drills" and emergencies that appear for no apparent reason. I've worked here over seven years, and it is not the same place where I started. HR is awful. No clear growth opportunities, unequal pay depending on team, promotions few and far between. Really sad that an organization with so much potential is squandered with terrible upper management. Consultants call all the shots while staff are not empowered to make decisions. Thank goodness Jeff Raikes is out, he brought all of the bad from Microsoft with very little of the good.

Fire all of HR. Change compensation system and reward those that add value to the organization, build collaborations, bring people together.

Contract Program Assistant (1 year)- Don't do it!

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The name itself helped job interviews and instant credibility afterwards. My boss still introduces me as coming from the Gates Foundation. There was a lot of opportunity to meet and interact with diverse people with many skills.

Cons

As a contract employee, this place sucks. As a program assistant on the bottom of the totem pole working with megalomaniacs, this place sucks. The program officers are all the "experts of the world" and view themselves as such. They are used to being catered on hand and foot and have a god complex. While the slogan is that all people have equal value and should be healthy and live productive lives, that philosophy doesn't apply to the contract employees. No health insurance, no sick time, no sympathy. You get the worst tasks, the blame, and are restricted from going to any events with speakers or anything else that is only for the cool kids, ie the Full time employees. Never mind that you do the exact same job as the full time employees and that your position is permanent in the sense that they will always need a program assistant. There is absolutely no upward mobility, and very high turnover for that reason. The best day here was the day I left.

Use contract employees only for temporary needs, and pay them more than full time for all the crap they put up with.

Complex organization with admirable mission, well-meaning employees, and significant cultural issues.

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time

Pros

Wonderful co-workers. Unlimited access to incredible information, guest speakers, knowledge, resources from the philanthropic/global development sector. Worthy mission. Fantastic perks and benefits.

Cons

No clear decision making rubric across teams/org.; little room for advancement or growth, complex, competitive culture.

Empower all employees to do their best work and commit to professional growth and development of all levels. Try to remove fear of failure from the equation.

Temp grants management

Current Employee - Grants Management in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Grants Management in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

smart people, beautiful campus, somewhat satisfying work, casual clothes (jeans, flip flops) ok, free starbucks coffee/fruit/snacks/beverages, conveniences available on site like an ATM, dry cleaners, discounted UPS shipping services, (there are other perks not available to temps like use of the gym, bike lockers, subsidies for going "green" on your commute (if you walk or bike to work, you get like $3 a day), use of the parking garage)

Cons

You are expected to be accessible 24/7 (not so much as a temp since you are not allowed to get a foundation issued cell phone or be allowed to take your laptop home), ok salaries (especially if you are not on the program side), terrible neighborhood, temps are treated like "second class citizens" (no benefits, exclusion from certain meetings, cliquey people not welcoming), often you are left to figure out things/work assignments on your own (sharepoint sites not managed well), overpriced cafeteria offering mediocre food, a mess of software systems that are not synchronized across the foundation (so you often have to learn a few different ones to do your job (with little guidance), slim chance (if any, especially if you are in IT, where almost 90% or so are temps) of being converted to FTE status (full time employee entitled to all the benefits of the foundation)

If almost half of your workers are contingent workers (a fact verified by an FTE), start treating them right instead of being complacent with the high level of turnover. Tighten up your onboarding strategies (if you have one), invest more time and effort in the training of new workers, encourage a culture of inclusion, treat temps with respect. With so much constant change here, think things through before instituting them. Change this mentality of how temps are treated (since there are so many of them, doing most of the grunt work). If you don't want to waste the time and effort of FTEs in training temps for their roles, hire more of them as FTEs. Stop abusing the legal loopholes regarding the use of contingent workers so you can deny benefits to these workers. As the largest (in terms of endowment) private foundation in the world, you can spend a little more to hire more FTEs (instead of temps, whose morale is low) so you foster a sense of commitment and loyalty. Happier workers equal more productivity, greater output and dedication. Get the message!

Nice company to work with

Former Employee - CRM Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - CRM Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Job satisfaction. Great workplace. Great people

Cons

No Cons as i can think of.

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Photos

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Motto on ground floor of new building

+ Add Photo