www.gatesfoundation.org

Updated October 20, 2014
3.3

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation CEO Susan Desmond-Hellmann
Susan Desmond-Hellmann

Pros
  • Great benefits and retirement package (in 18 reviews)

• New campus is beautiful and gives an appearance of transparency (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The amazing work-life balance others report is solely dependent upon the team you land in and the manager you have (in 12 reviews)

• Support of management for consultants is more than the full time employees (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked in the programmatic side at the foundation for 4 years

Former Employee - Programs in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Programs in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for impact, networks, wide range of experiences and the chance to grow and develop as an individual contributor.

Cons

Surprisingly risk averse group of people who lack creativity as funders. Raikes has all the right intentions, but does not have the respect he needs to change things at the level of the directors and deputy directors.

Too many staff that do not share foundation taste for "silver bullets" leads to dysfunction as try to do things not strictly on strategy.

Go for it Jeff! Be bold. Make change. Retain good talent and don't be shy about getting a team that shares the vision of the co-chairs.

Clear Mission, great benefits, improved culture, same issues as other fast paced environments.

Current Employee - Senior Program Officer
    Current Employee - Senior Program Officer

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a great mission and people believe in the mission. The workplace environment, the benefits, and the support given to employees in order to do their best work is amazing. There is ample opportunity to learn and grow even outside of your specific area of expertise.

Cons

Nothing unique. There are some people more difficult to work with than others. There is a perception that "I am so busy" which is self perpetuating and prevents people from being as effective as they can be in the moment.

Continue on the path towards improving the culture of leadership, collaboration, humility, and mindfulness.

Culture not what I'd expected

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Pros

Beautiful campus, great benefits, exposure to Bill, Melinda and other incredible speakers who come to speak at the campus.

Cons

Culture is a bit "cold." They hire VERY smart people but many of those smart people take pay cuts to "save the world" and then feel let down when they realize their job isn't going to save the world, it's just a job.

Perhaps a chance for a new start...

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Numerous smart folks, good benefits, nice working environment

Cons

Toxic work environment, inept management, disrespect of employees at all levels

To the co-chairs - please have the courage to hire a Raikes replacement who is compassionate, competent and caring. So many opportunities were missed during Jeff's administration - the best replacement will right the ship and set a new, productive course.

Glad I worked there, thrilled I left

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The name brand with the foundation is great on your CV, the campus and benefits are great, and there are some individuals who truly changed my outlook on the world for the better. There is some innovating going on, I am better prepared to think even more critically and bring a polished level of professionalism where ever I go.

Cons

Toxic, difficult work environment, like 1200 crabs in a bucket trying to claw their way into owning something important. The office dynamics and politics are suffocating even for those most game for those issues. People are obsessed with getting in there and then are faced with am overwhelming amount of red tape. The time I was there was a complete slog with amazing bright spots of travel and good people. I can't say I would recommend the place in the least bit, but I guess I am glad I was there. I am mostly just glad it's over.

The re orgs and the bloat...my god. The roots of the cultural problems run so deep I don't think BCG or MicKinsey can you get out.

Constant Change

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great new campus environment; some good people in the ranks

Cons

Lack of vision and leadership leads to constantly reorganizing the business units and programs. Too much middle management and lots of folks with big ol' egos. Raikes' temper tantrums were mildly entertaining at least.

There's no work/life balance at this organization- everyone wants to prove they are the hard-charging, A-student, workforce superhero. All of this and what is really being accomplished?

Start over.

Great mission held back by the culture.

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission, and the Gates family is hugely inspirational. Great place to work with a diverse group of people and learn a lot, and be exposed to experiences that can't be found elsewhere. Benefits are great, probably some of the best around.

Cons

For a non-profit It's an extremely competitive work environment. The culture encourages narcissism and entitlement, an there's an abundance of nepotism in hiring. Most managers don't know how to manage employees or budgets.

Start fixing things internally, beginning with the culture. Also, start creating better relationships with grantees. There's a lot of talk about it, but little action.

A very unique environment

Current Employee - Program Officer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Officer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunities to learn every day, exposure to the best and brightest in the staff and the people the Foundation brings in to collaborate, awesome mission, beautiful campus, culture of continuous improvement

Cons

On occasion the egos and politics can get to be a bit much. A relatively young organization still working on its internal processes

Trust the people you hire and be sure to wall the talk

toxic culture at a great organization

Former Employee - Tier III IT in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Tier III IT in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation as a contractor

Pros

a fine organization helping people do great work to help the world.
    a beautiful workplace

Cons

Echoing what others have mentioned, if you get hired as a contractor in IT don't ever expect to be converted. There are IT staff members who have been with the foundation for multiple years as contractors. Like Microsoft, the Gates Foundation requires contractors to display their "orange badge of shame" at all times. Expect to be treated poorly by entitled full time staff, and of course total exclusion from all company events. Want to use the world class bike to work facilities? Ok, but the locker rooms are FTE-only. You'll even be included from teambuilding events on your own team.

All those great benefits? You don't get any of them.

The IT organization is dramatically oversized, a clear waste of money at a foundation that clearly doesn't care about running a tight ship.

Don't be enamored by the mission, the company culture is shameful....

Current Employee - IT Manager
    Current Employee - IT Manager

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Mission
    *Benefits
    *Campus (facility and location)
    *Some great people

Cons

*Culture is suffocating, toxic, hostile, arrogant and not supportive
    *People's egos get in the way of getting work done ("I am smarter than you, NO, I am smarter than you")
    *Dysfunctional IT org with a weak CIO and embarrassing leadership team (What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.)
    *Money is not a constraint like true non-profit and for-profit companies

Start over and hire strong leaders with some semblence of emotional intelligence.

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Photos

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Motto on ground floor of new building

+ Add Photo