Binder and Binder

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Charles Binder

Overall rewarding. Great experience for someone without a degree seeking advancement in this field or in different law.

Intake Interviewer (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsWeekends off, PTO after 90 days good manager, praise for perseverance and hard work does not go unnoticed.

ConsCrappy benefits (you can opt out after 90 days to receive an extra $220 on your second paycheck of each month) Crappy hours 8:45 to 5:30 45 minute lunch. Managers have their favorites, but they are fair and understanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy manager and senior advocates are very experienced and good people, nothing bad to be said of them.

not good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe people, wonderful co workers

Consmanagement, no benefits, compensation, location

Advice to Senior Managementneed to me more persoanlble

It's a hellhole. And you know how I feel about hellholes.

Legal Writer (Current Employee) Long Island City, NY

ProsIf you're a caseworker, infocall, or any other entry level position, there are no pros. It is all hell.

For the writers that don't take on hearings, you can try to stealthily goof off once you get your productivity up.

For the writers on the dumb junior advocate track and/or advocates, you can pretend you have a real job with a real firm.

ConsBeyond the microscopic pay, the benefits are a.) insulting and b.) are, by the company's own admission, the result of punishing everybody for a few instances of abuse in the past. Yep, instead of just firing the jerks that abuse the system, they stacked the deck further against workers. Leave time and sick time are the same thing, and the accrual requirements are intentionally stacked against you. Good luck if you have kids!

"Mill" as a description is an insult to mills. This apocryphal Charles Binder anecdote says it all: one day, he asked his employees whether it was better to win 8 out of 8 cases, or 10 out of 12. The answer? 10 out of 12, because 10 is more than 8. It’s that attention to volume at the expense of quality that defines the company. They get office locations on the cheap (especially in New York). They intentionally hire many entry-level workers with limited prospects (including criminal histories, etc.) so they can be more easily cajoled re: the awful company practices. That’s not to say they’re not hiring good people—to a person, they are all decent and pleasant folks, but B&B likes a captive audience.

Intermediary supervision is 50/50: half identifying with their equally captive subordinates, half victims of Stockholm syndrome. The senior officers not named Binder are toadying piles of garbage without a human feeling in their bodies. Charles Binder himself is actually a nice and very smart guy, if mercurial. Harry Binder is a rat of a human being, without a single redeeming bone in his fetid body.

Advice to Senior ManagementRun the company like a company, not a prison camp. If you offer decent pay, benefits, etc., you get better talent that doesn't rush out the door as quickly as possible. Higher quality means higher win rates, which means the margins stay flush--and then you won't have to rely on daytime TV ads to overcome your otherwise sullied reputation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Abysmal pay, insulting benefits, and a corrupted union

ProsIf you work here, you can technically say on your LinkedIn page that you are employed. Also, for the most part the caseworkers, writers, and lower-level advocates are all nice, despite the truly horrible people that constitute the management.

ConsIf you work here, you will spend most of your time outside of work trying to find another job. I don't think this has been mentioned in any of the other reviews, but our union is a joke for one very simple, important reason: the management at the company and the leadership at the union have a direct familial connection (due to Glassdoor policy, I cannot specify more than that). Needless to say there is a massive conflict of interest here, and though its likely not the sole reason, it is clear that this is one of the factors translating into our extremely low pay and insulting benefits. Any equivalent paralegal job in NYC, New Jersey, or even Philadelphia would pay more than a "writer" or "caseworker" job does here. As one of the more recent reviews before this one stated, no distinction is made between sick days and "vacation" days, and you get very little them in a given year. Though when you are hired the company will quote a "yearly" figure, if you are a writer it will turn out once you've actually started that you are being paid an hourly wage that they have deceived you into taking; at least with the caseworkers they are more upfront, and pay you a wage that is technically right at the poverty line of some cities that have Binder offices, if not below those lines. The advocates are paid barely better, often less than 40K despite functioning as lawyers and doing an incredible amount of over-time work and travel. The time clocks (for those below advocate status) work inconsistently and the company will dock pay for being late by even a few seconds. You only get 45 minutes for lunch, which you get to spend in the small, dour, disgusting eating area (with no cups and microwaves that have months-old food caked to the walls) and which you will spend stressing about whether something - slow elevator if you risk leaving the office, management not respecting your unpaid off-time, crowded hallways, whatever - will hold you up when attempting to clock back in and cause you to lose pay and have your record docked for lateness. The company installs people whose entire position in the company is to "monitor" employees to make sure they're limiting conversation to less than a few minutes, though those monitors will spend much of their own workday gabbing with their friends around the office. Many employees opt not to use the health benefits because the company pays for such a small percentage and the plans themselves are atrocious and unaffordable, often not covering basic medications (or ANY medications) or preventative care.

If any of this sounds livable, consider that the workload and expectations are so unreasonable that even the most senior lower-level employees (caseworkers or writers) will commonly tell management that they are simply not possible to meet - that is, if said employee has not yet learned that bringing it up will lead to retribution from management. If one day you are assigned something that needs to be done urgently, no accommodation will be made for the other assignments you aren't able to do that day, and you will be chewed out for missing a deadline. Your "training," if you can call it that, will consist mainly of you being plopped in front of your desk and told to start working, and hoping you somehow figure it all out on your own before the initial 90-day period is up. Quality is of no concern at Binder & Binder; you are simply to do as much as humanly possible and more, in a very short amount of time, and very few clients get any real attention. If a case is won at all, it's simply because it was a good case that would probably have won anyway. Binder & Binder's business strategy comes down to a numbers game; take as many clients as possible, no matter how terrible many of the cases may be, and hope that a high number if not necessarily a high percentage are ultimately winners, so that the company can collect the outrageous fees that they spend primarily on the Binders' lifestyles and the over-inflated advertising budget, and certainly not on the welfare of their employees, who are often living in poverty.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire most of the incompetent management. Provide better pay and benefits that are consistent with how anyone else would be paid for the same work; this is a for-profit company, not a non-profit just looking to help the little guy (and non-profits here all pay better for this level of work, anyway). Disclose the truth of our union to more employees so we can decide if we want an organization far too cozy with the company "representing" us any longer.

Tough work, tougher work environment

ProsWealth of experience to be had. For good or ill, the company is known by ALJs all across the company. You will have the opportunity to develop your reputation, often times in spite of your employer.

ConsThis is a mill. It's all about the numbers regardless of the platitudes that may or may not be showered upon you. Hearings are assigned to you on a rotational basis at a machine-gun pace. While the reps will get the file usually in plenty of time before the hearing, file development by that time has been for the most part an afterthought, so the advocate is spending more time fixing what's broken rather than refining what's built. Very little opportunity to develop the client-advocate relationship as a result. Poor pay given the expectations.

Hell on Earth!!!

Caseworker (Former Employee) Phila, PA

ProsSteady Paycheck, made some friends, I lost weight due to the small paycheck. This job made me work harder towards my goals aka leaving Binder & Binder.

ConsThis was the worst company I've ever worked for. For starters management was horrible. They were gossipy and rude. Managemet micromanaged every one, but could not do their job. Management was lazy, refused to help anyone unless you were a man. If you were a minute late, you were docked 15 minutes. The time clock always had a line, so almost everyone was docked on the regular. The amenities were a joke, you had to pay ten dollars in order to drink from the water machine. As a caseworker, you had to bring in your own office supplies, nothing was provided for you. We were not aloud to have anything on our desk, not even a bag of chips. The office always smelled moldy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees better. Provide amenities for your workers. Also train management..

Great coworkers, bad bosses

Legal Assistant (Current Employee) Bronx, NY

ProsThe experience and the knowledge was helpful

ConsEver man for them self. No growth

Advice to Senior ManagementStep into the 21st century. Less micro management

My review for you

ProsManagement is easy to work with.

ConsSometimes you do more work than expected.

The worst job I ever had.

Caseworker/Assistant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe only pro was helping the clients.

ConsManagement was horrible, uncaring and unkind, they treat you like a robot and talk about you like a dog to other employees .You are severely underpaid and when you go the extra mile it won't be noticed by management. The work environment is a joke, there is no sense of team work what so ever. You will never grow within this company .

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow hearts and pay your employees fair and decent wages this work is very stressful, and show your employees some appreciation.

Awful

Legal Writer (Former Employee) Hauppauge, NY

ProsAll I can say is that my co-workers were really nice and helpful. At least most of them were. Otherwise not many great things to say about this place.

ConsHorrible management. I felt like a work horse. They literally just piled files on your desk. It was ridiculous. In addition, the time clock was a joke. You had to be in at 8:45 but if you punched in a minute late (meanwhile, half the time there was a line at the clock) you got docked 15 minutes. Completely joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with a little respect. Not just like they're your work horses.

Worked for Binder and Binder? Contribute to the Community!