Bingham McCutchen

Updated September 22, 2014
3.1

Bingham McCutchen Chairman Jay S. Zimmerman
Jay S. Zimmerman

Good company but why the outsourcing?

Former Employee - Billing Specialist  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Bingham McCutchen as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed and flexible culture. Attorneys, secretaries, and managers were very patient, understanding, and amicable. Overall it was a great place with great benefits.

Cons

Upper management dropped the ball moving jobs for the sake of "saving money." Frankly I don't understand why as the relationships built between the accounting section and attorney/secretary section was fantastic as it was.

Bring the jobs back to Boston!

Counsel II

I worked at Bingham McCutchen

Pros

Learned a lot; was a great opportunity; met a number of good, smart people

Cons

Some of the people I worked for were unbearable; it reflected poorly on the firm that they would continue to employ partners who repeatedly mistreated associates

Good Firm that Could be Great

I worked at Bingham McCutchen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong Attorneys and strong staff operating as a team

Cons

Late to making structural changes to deal with recession

Be transparent

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

nice and quiet

I have been working at Bingham McCutchen full-time

Pros

great people there nice company

Cons

great people there nice company

Great Firm

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Bingham McCutchen full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People are friendly and easy to work with. Lots of intellectual firepower and interesting work. It really is a great place to work.

Cons

Local office leadership and culture is great. Senior firm leadership needs to spend more time in the trenches with working attorneys and staff members. The firm has had a tough couple of years financially, but there are still a lot of great people there.

See above.

Sophisticated, intense

I worked at Bingham McCutchen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with really smart people and watching solutions to complex legal problems arise feels like you are really contributing to something that's making a difference in the world. My manager is fantastic, understanding , approachable, a human being and still ahead of the curve as far as our field goes.

Cons

Work-life balance doesn't exist, but that's big law. If you want to maintain a personal life, it's probably better to live within walking distance of the office so you don't also have commuting time taking away from your ability to work or sleep.

Consider innovating ahead of the legal industry and making Bingham a destination firm for Millenials.

Lots of Changes but it is good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bingham McCutchen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've learned so much since I started at Bingham. I love the people. Great team environment. I like my manager and what the group is working toward.

Cons

A lot of managers manage from their offices. I wouldn't know Jay if I tripped over him. Never met him and I've been here for over 2 years.

Don't Believe Their 'Hype'

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

I worked at Bingham McCutchen

Pros

Good Benefits but don't let them reel you in. Good general employee pool...but it's always a CYA stressful atmosphere. And these are the PROS. And to answer your question...No, I was not fired. The second star on the overal rating is for the compensation and benefits only.

Cons

They sell the firm/employment as Great place to work...one of the top 100, etc. That the firm cares about the employees....Total Hype. Their one of the top 100 because everyone below management level and even some of them work in constant fear of losing their jobs so they lie on the survey! The 'open' concept is purely a easier way for management to have more control and for 'big brother' to watch the employees. Partners and Management care about NO ONE except themselves and the dollars and perks THEY receive...the worker bee employees are dispensable...without cause, notice or respect. The firm is losing money and it isn't going to be the top dogs that take the hits.

Get over yourselves and realize it's the core employee group that CYAes and keeps the company running. With every person you let go you lose experience, training, loyalty and respect in the industry and community.

Good people, some management issues

Current Employee - Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bingham McCutchen full-time

Pros

The pros and cons are much like other big firms. Pros include good people, interesting work, good parental leave benefits, and a culture that generally does not tolerate jerks.

Cons

Management made some questionable decision in the past including stopping all associate training during the recession and refusing to negotiate billing rates when the market got more competitive. I'm optimistic that the new management is working to improve some of these issues.

Was a Best Place to Work

Current Employee - Associate Attorney  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bingham McCutchen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For the remaining employees after the creation of the Global Service Center (GSC) in Lexington KY, I'm sure the firm remains a "best place to work". We made the Fortune list for many years running. The new people at the GSC have good energy.

Cons

After my job was transitioned to the GSC (a location with less expensive real estate and talent) my area in the HQ office has become a ghost town. It's very difficult being retained for a while only to watch all your peers disappear in batches. While the new GSC employees have good energy, they really lack the institutional knowledge and smooth running efficiency of the previous staff.

It's too late now, but locating the GSC in Lexington MA would have been a lot better than locating it in Lexington KY. Now it's up to you to try to retain whatever critical skills remain. Tough transition.

Worked for Bingham McCutchen? Contribute to the Community!