Bingham McCutchen

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bingham McCutchen Chairman Jay S. Zimmerman

Jay S. Zimmerman

Lots of Changes but it is good

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI've learned so much since I started at Bingham. I love the people. Great team environment. I like my manager and what the group is working toward.

ConsA lot of managers manage from their offices. I wouldn't know Jay if I tripped over him. Never met him and I've been here for over 2 years.

Sophisticated, intense

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with really smart people and watching solutions to complex legal problems arise feels like you are really contributing to something that's making a difference in the world. My manager is fantastic, understanding , approachable, a human being and still ahead of the curve as far as our field goes.

ConsWork-life balance doesn't exist, but that's big law. If you want to maintain a personal life, it's probably better to live within walking distance of the office so you don't also have commuting time taking away from your ability to work or sleep.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider innovating ahead of the legal industry and making Bingham a destination firm for Millenials.

Don't Believe Their 'Hype'

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lexington, KY

ProsGood Benefits but don't let them reel you in. Good general employee pool...but it's always a CYA stressful atmosphere. And these are the PROS. And to answer your question...No, I was not fired. The second star on the overal rating is for the compensation and benefits only.

ConsThey sell the firm/employment as Great place to work...one of the top 100, etc. That the firm cares about the employees....Total Hype. Their one of the top 100 because everyone below management level and even some of them work in constant fear of losing their jobs so they lie on the survey! The 'open' concept is purely a easier way for management to have more control and for 'big brother' to watch the employees. Partners and Management care about NO ONE except themselves and the dollars and perks THEY receive...the worker bee employees are dispensable...without cause, notice or respect. The firm is losing money and it isn't going to be the top dogs that take the hits.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourselves and realize it's the core employee group that CYAes and keeps the company running. With every person you let go you lose experience, training, loyalty and respect in the industry and community.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people, some management issues

Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe pros and cons are much like other big firms. Pros include good people, interesting work, good parental leave benefits, and a culture that generally does not tolerate jerks.

ConsManagement made some questionable decision in the past including stopping all associate training during the recession and refusing to negotiate billing rates when the market got more competitive. I'm optimistic that the new management is working to improve some of these issues.

Was a Best Place to Work

Associate Attorney (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFor the remaining employees after the creation of the Global Service Center (GSC) in Lexington KY, I'm sure the firm remains a "best place to work". We made the Fortune list for many years running. The new people at the GSC have good energy.

ConsAfter my job was transitioned to the GSC (a location with less expensive real estate and talent) my area in the HQ office has become a ghost town. It's very difficult being retained for a while only to watch all your peers disappear in batches. While the new GSC employees have good energy, they really lack the institutional knowledge and smooth running efficiency of the previous staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's too late now, but locating the GSC in Lexington MA would have been a lot better than locating it in Lexington KY. Now it's up to you to try to retain whatever critical skills remain. Tough transition.

Fast pace firm.

Legal Secretary (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsConstant training on all programs for all updates.

ConsNo Hands on training, taught by show and tell. Learned by trial and error.

Good firm, good culture

Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat firm culture -- open door policies throughout office, lots of freedom to work on matters that interest you, excellent support staff. Also very supportive of pro bono work.

ConsLaw firms are law firms... prepare to eat sh*t at any level. Also not a huge diversity of clients and practice areas.

Great people! Amazing office! Treated like a respected attorney, even as a Summer Associate!

Summer Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people, great work, fun environment, great work/life balance!

ConsDiversity is lagging and needs more initiatives.

It's a free market system. You need to compete with your colleagues for the work.

Counsel (Senior On Track Associate) (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsWell respected law firm. Decent benefits.

ConsI knew that had to leave when a senior partner in the Boston office told me that the fact that the firm didn't have enough work to keep the associates busy was not their problem but ours, and that, "It's a free market system. Your need to compete with your colleagues for the work."

It's not that the hours can be grueling, or even the fact that the billable target at Bingham is the highest in Boston and, for that matter, any NY firm that I have ever worked at or known. That is what you sign up for when you choose the career path and the firm. But it's incredibly demoralizing to be surrounded by smart, talented, hard-working associates who live in fear of being laid off or simply let go because there is not enough work to keep them busy -- or busy enough to meet the overly high billable target.

Moreover, partners don't invest in associates. There is no training to speak of either formal or informal.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to be a word class law firm, invest in your people. Use down time to make yourselves and your associates better educated and better prepared to counsel your clients.

Worked on contract for a client.

Legal Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsExcellent support during secondment period.

ConsLaw firm hours and demanding job

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work.

Worked for Bingham McCutchen? Contribute to the Community!