Bio-Rad Laboratories

Updated October 29, 2014
3.3

Bio-Rad Laboratories President, CEO, and Director Norman Schwartz
Norman Schwartz

Pros
  • Decent benefits, work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Solid company financially, good product line up and industry growth is on the horizon (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Most managers have never worked anywhere else (in 4 reviews)

• Decision-making isn't always straightforward; often it's not clear who is responsible or accountable for specific decisions (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Bio-Rad is the best company out there. You will be challenged, and you will grow exponentially in all aspects of your professionalism.

Current Employee - Finance in Hercules, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Hercules, CA

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Bio-Rad is that company that will challenge you and that will make you reach your full potential. I'm so proud of my senior management team for the skills they bring to our company. I get to learn from experienced professionals that helped take this company to amazing heights as a multibillion dollar company.
    -I get to go home every night knowing that I helped make the world a better place. I work in finance, but my numbers help managers throughout the company mange effectively. Either through more efficient equipment in numerous labs in the world or through accurate tests to improve quality of life.
    -I've never been surrounded by the most down to earth senior executives. I get to learn from them, and I'm happy whenever I produce high quality work that makes our company perform more efficiently.
    -I love my co-workers. In a big company like Bio-Rad, you'll find coworkers that will easily be lifelong colleagues, friends, and honorary family members.
    -Bio-Rad is very diverse in all aspects, and the company makes a large effort to recruit a diverse work pool. You can succeed here at Bio-Rad regardless of your background.

Cons

-I really don't have any cons. I've been here almost one year, and I have a great manager and great coworkers. This is the first company where my colleagues and managers truly want to see my grow and succeed in all aspects of my life.

Keep up the great work! I'm so proud of the new restructuring of our company, and I'm excited to see our company continue to grow! Thank you for this opportunity, I won't let you down!

Leaving a great company....

Current Employee - Scientist in Hercules, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Hercules, CA

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bio-rad is a generous paying company. You'll work with great people.

Cons

Maybe there should be a little more room for innovation.

Mixed Emotions

Current Employee - Anonymous in Hercules, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Hercules, CA

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus and a somewhat stable employer during a period of economic turbulence. Founders remain committed to the organizations' sustainability and continue to invest back into the Company to help it grow and / or maintain it's market share. Being in an industry that helps improve the life of others and makes a difference for others feels good.

Cons

Business performance is "soft." Long tenure employees including many senior managers have little to no experience outside of Bio-Rad and can be overly risk adverse. This has creates a stable business during recent past but pay and benefits are average at best and the stability of the business can be at risk under new-changing business conditions. The work environment can also feel a bit stifling with clusters of employees at all levels of the organization who are slow to act and that seem afraid or insecure and spend more time and energy trying to protect themselves and their self-interests through passive-aggressive behaviors and management styles that create distrust. Some pockets of the organization are slow-paced and employees seem disinterested and low energy while other areas are working really hard with outdated systems and procedures that don't allow them to work smart instead of hard. HR policies and systems are outdated, feel ascetic and are ineffective. At times, who gets ahead and hired seems to be based more on "who you know" than "what you know" or "what you have really accomplish."

If you want to play in the big league you need to stop thinking like you're still in the little league. Your decision-making process and speed to action needs to improve and be more focused on actual facts and on what is in the best interest of the customer and the organization. Implement HR policies and procedures that are less "top-down focused" and that are more reflective of current-day best-practices including compensation and benefits structures that are more competitive and that reward individuals more on actual business accomplishments. Better prepare and train your managers to be less "top-down" and more effective as leaders.

Loved it initially, then hit the wall

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories

Pros

Great rank and file, really kind helpful smart people that want the company and their peers to succeed. Lots of lateral transfer opportunities and opportunity to work in different areas.

Cons

Poor management, insular inbred promotion of long-term internals who are more interested in their own career path than the success of the business or the job satisfaction and career growth of individual employees. Lots of doublespeak, clear irritation from management with the lack of progress but no decisions or transparency around the asks or the long-term strategy. When we get guidance, the management choices and actions are counter to the guidance. No ability or willingness to enable decision-making except at the very highest levels, the outspoken loud dominating employees get all of the attention and opportunities while the employees who quietly deliver the products are overlooked. A real waste of talent. Poor HR exposing the company to risk of litigation due to the lack of attention to professional norms - like correcting harrassing and bullying behaviors among employees and management. No culture of trust, transparency and no value of the employees from top management.

The situation is declining fast - great employees are leaving because they aren't provided recognition for achievement or a comfortable place to work, long-term internals get so much leash to behave unprofessionally without accountability or consequences. Recognize this and lead the company from the top down by demonstrating transparency, honesty and accountability and professionalism to the employees and expecting and enforcing those same behaviors throughout your org - even from long-term internals.

Good company, just stay away from Irvine, CA division

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong company, good benefits, continues to grow.

Cons

Don't take a position at the Irvine CA location. Too many politics, too much back stabbing even at executive level, too much unprofessionalism. Do not recommend unless you ONLY need a paycheck.

Decent Experience

Former Employee - Production Chemist I in Hercules, CA
    Former Employee - Production Chemist I in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

- Laid back company culture
    - Wonderful campus
    - Decent management team
    - Decent growth of the company
    - Some direction toward new technologies.

Cons

The manufacturing plant at hercules is very clicky and sometimes management don't know how to keep their supervisors in check. I had a very horrible experience where the manager didn't take my side of the story into account at all and just went with what they thought was the right thing. Their treatment is rude, unprofessional and they made up silly excuses for their behavior. Some of them are not qualified to be in the position they are in. We all know who we are talking about. Too much nepotism in my opinion. There is no growth.

Really see how some managers treat their employees. The manufacturing division needs to restructure their group and fire some people and get in capable managers.

Great company

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories as a contractor

Pros

Great management. Great - team oriented environment!

Cons

Hard to believe, but I cannot think of any complaints that I have.

Laid off in 6 days

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hercules, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pay rate was at or just below the median for someone just coming out of college with my degree. Interview was relatively easy, and generally everyone I met in R&D / Engineering was both nice and supportive.

Cons

6 days into work, two other contracted employees and I were laid off. I was laid off under false pretenses, or at the worst a correctable offense. The contracting company had nothing to do with it - the bottom line was Bio-Rad over hired. Rather than just saying they over hired, they let me go under an excuse that will tar my record at the company. Management needs to learn to count before they hire.

Count before you hire, and watch your middle management. 3 people who had just started being laid off in a single sweep should not be ignored. I relocated for the position with the understanding that I had 6 months worth of work, and wasn't even there long enough to cover the cost of moving. At the very least, your managers should at least have the decency to answer the phone after.

Good stable company

Former Employee - Research Associate in Hercules, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This place is comfortable and stable. They give you good opportunities to work your way up and explore other areas of interest from within the company and management actually care about your career growth.

Cons

This place is comfortable and stable. Not a lot of risk taking, not a lot of innovation.

More innovation = more exciting to come to work.

Good company to work for.

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Hercules, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work and good people to work with. Stable and strong company.

Cons

Watch out for those occasional big lay-offs when things get tight. No loyalty to even the long time employees.

Bio-Rad Laboratories Photos