Bio-Rad Laboratories

Updated December 16, 2014
3.2

Bio-Rad Laboratories President, CEO, and Director Norman Schwartz
Norman Schwartz

Pros
  • Decent benefits, work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Solid company financially, good product line up and industry growth is on the horizon (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Most managers have never worked anywhere else (in 4 reviews)

• Decision-making isn't always straightforward; often it's not clear who is responsible or accountable for specific decisions (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Bio-Rad is the best company out there. You will be challenged, and you will grow exponentially in all aspects of your professionalism.

Current Employee - Finance in Hercules, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Hercules, CA

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Bio-Rad is that company that will challenge you and that will make you reach your full potential. I'm so proud of my senior management team for the skills they bring to our company. I get to learn from experienced professionals that helped take this company to amazing heights as a multibillion dollar company.
    -I get to go home every night knowing that I helped make the world a better place. I work in finance, but my numbers help managers throughout the company mange effectively. Either through more efficient equipment in numerous labs in the world or through accurate tests to improve quality of life.
    -I've never been surrounded by the most down to earth senior executives. I get to learn from them, and I'm happy whenever I produce high quality work that makes our company perform more efficiently.
    -I love my co-workers. In a big company like Bio-Rad, you'll find coworkers that will easily be lifelong colleagues, friends, and honorary family members.
    -Bio-Rad is very diverse in all aspects, and the company makes a large effort to recruit a diverse work pool. You can succeed here at Bio-Rad regardless of your background.

Cons

-I really don't have any cons. I've been here almost one year, and I have a great manager and great coworkers. This is the first company where my colleagues and managers truly want to see my grow and succeed in all aspects of my life.

Keep up the great work! I'm so proud of the new restructuring of our company, and I'm excited to see our company continue to grow! Thank you for this opportunity, I won't let you down!

Stable, perhaps to a fault

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very low turn over. Great work life balance (as long as you don't have a long commute). Very structured departments and groups. If you're comfortable with a very stable day-to-day operation with few bumps in the road this may appeal to you. Benefits are great.

Cons

Many of the Pros can also be considered Cons for the motivated and career-minded. Additionally, this is a very silo-ed organization. You may never work with (or even meet) anyone outside of your operational group. Pay scales are known in the industry to be consistently low across the organization. Politics are to be expected in a large organization - no exceptions here.

Better pay will attract stronger candidates.

Not going anywhere fast

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Hercules, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Hercules, CA

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very lax, not too organized, Many employees get away with substandard work. People get promoted for mysterious reasons. So you can make it there.

Cons

No growth and prospects of growth. All good people left or have been let go because the threaten the calcified "leaders".

Get out of your office and go see how bad things are, a company is more than just numbers. Besides you see the trend.

Surprisingly unorganized for a global company

Former Employee - Production Chemist I in Hercules, CA
    Former Employee - Production Chemist I in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice place to start out. You may have an chance for personal growth. Chance for lateral movement within the company once you are an employee which is great for professional development. Overall company culture is nice. Many events on campus such as BBQs and ice cream socials. Hercules campus is very larger and amazingly gorgeous with trials and a lot of views such as the Bay, bridges, wild turkey, and deer (in the evening). The corporate cafe has a very relaxing atmosphere. It backs to the Bay with indoor and outdoor dining options. Incredible!

Cons

First of all, this a typical 8-5 job. Little flexibility so work-life is challenging to manage. The intentions are good but the approach is inconsistent. There is a lot of change going on so no information is reliable. It seems to change on a monthly basis. Department management knows the technical side of the company but some are not very good at the business side. They do not know how to communicate effectively so it wastes a lot of time and resources. Some are not willing to listen to or try others' ideas and approaches even if it is an effective method or approached commonly used by competitors or in the industry.

Strengthen communication within the management team and down to the workers. It will increase efficiency, save the company time and money, and help the work-life balance. A lot of time is wasted rushing assignments on the front end. Take the time to be organized. The company has a lot to offer but the competitors have better, stronger, and smarter operations logistics. Supervisors and management should understand the technical and business side AND be able to communicate assignments and tasks to others. Some management do not hold themselves accountable for their weaknesses. Blaming others unfairly kills morale and causes great employees to leave to work for competitors. Do not feel threatened by others with strong leadership skills. It is very good for the company. Training should be by a designated lead and NOT a new employee with limited experience in a department or with a method. Bio-Rad's management team is doing way too much so there is no real leadership and makes it feel like a circus. Supervisors should be available for the workers. Lastly, use meetings to accomplish something. Stay focused!

Mixed Emotions

Current Employee - Anonymous in Hercules, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Hercules, CA

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus and a somewhat stable employer during a period of economic turbulence. Founders remain committed to the organizations' sustainability and continue to invest back into the Company to help it grow and / or maintain it's market share. Being in an industry that helps improve the life of others and makes a difference for others feels good.

Cons

Business performance is "soft." Long tenure employees including many senior managers have little to no experience outside of Bio-Rad and can be overly risk adverse. This has creates a stable business during recent past but pay and benefits are average at best and the stability of the business can be at risk under new-changing business conditions. The work environment can also feel a bit stifling with clusters of employees at all levels of the organization who are slow to act and that seem afraid or insecure and spend more time and energy trying to protect themselves and their self-interests through passive-aggressive behaviors and management styles that create distrust. Some pockets of the organization are slow-paced and employees seem disinterested and low energy while other areas are working really hard with outdated systems and procedures that don't allow them to work smart instead of hard. HR policies and systems are outdated, feel ascetic and are ineffective. At times, who gets ahead and hired seems to be based more on "who you know" than "what you know" or "what you have really accomplish."

If you want to play in the big league you need to stop thinking like you're still in the little league. Your decision-making process and speed to action needs to improve and be more focused on actual facts and on what is in the best interest of the customer and the organization. Implement HR policies and procedures that are less "top-down focused" and that are more reflective of current-day best-practices including compensation and benefits structures that are more competitive and that reward individuals more on actual business accomplishments. Better prepare and train your managers to be less "top-down" and more effective as leaders.

OK, but very corporate

Former Employee - Product Manager in Hercules, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some nice people though paperwork and bureaucracy reign supreme. Nice opportunities for training right at the company and through sponsored training outside.

Cons

Hard to advance, management avoids risk. Not very interesting place to work. Campus is out in the boonies.

Leaving a great company....

Current Employee - Scientist in Hercules, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Hercules, CA

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bio-rad is a generous paying company. You'll work with great people.

Cons

Maybe there should be a little more room for innovation.

Laid off in 6 days

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pay rate was at or just below the median for someone just coming out of college with my degree. Interview was relatively easy, and generally everyone I met in R&D / Engineering was both nice and supportive.

Cons

6 days into work, two other contracted employees and I were laid off. I was laid off under false pretenses, or at the worst a correctable offense. The contracting company had nothing to do with it - the bottom line was Bio-Rad over hired. Rather than just saying they over hired, they let me go under an excuse that will tar my record at the company. Management needs to learn to count before they hire.

Count before you hire, and watch your middle management. 3 people who had just started being laid off in a single sweep should not be ignored. I relocated for the position with the understanding that I had 6 months worth of work, and wasn't even there long enough to cover the cost of moving. At the very least, your managers should at least have the decency to answer the phone after.

Great company

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories as a contractor

Pros

Great management. Great - team oriented environment!

Cons

Hard to believe, but I cannot think of any complaints that I have.

Loved it initially, then hit the wall

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories

Pros

Great rank and file, really kind helpful smart people that want the company and their peers to succeed. Lots of lateral transfer opportunities and opportunity to work in different areas.

Cons

Poor management, insular inbred promotion of long-term internals who are more interested in their own career path than the success of the business or the job satisfaction and career growth of individual employees. Lots of doublespeak, clear irritation from management with the lack of progress but no decisions or transparency around the asks or the long-term strategy. When we get guidance, the management choices and actions are counter to the guidance. No ability or willingness to enable decision-making except at the very highest levels, the outspoken loud dominating employees get all of the attention and opportunities while the employees who quietly deliver the products are overlooked. A real waste of talent. Poor HR exposing the company to risk of litigation due to the lack of attention to professional norms - like correcting harrassing and bullying behaviors among employees and management. No culture of trust, transparency and no value of the employees from top management.

The situation is declining fast - great employees are leaving because they aren't provided recognition for achievement or a comfortable place to work, long-term internals get so much leash to behave unprofessionally without accountability or consequences. Recognize this and lead the company from the top down by demonstrating transparency, honesty and accountability and professionalism to the employees and expecting and enforcing those same behaviors throughout your org - even from long-term internals.

Bio-Rad Laboratories Photos