Bio-Rad Laboratories

Updated October 17, 2014
3.3

Bio-Rad Laboratories President, CEO, and Director Norman Schwartz
Norman Schwartz

Pros
  • Decent benefits, work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Solid company financially, good product line up and industry growth is on the horizon (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Most managers have never worked anywhere else (in 4 reviews)

• Decision-making isn't always straightforward; often it's not clear who is responsible or accountable for specific decisions (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Bio-Rad is the best company out there. You will be challenged, and you will grow exponentially in all aspects of your professionalism.

Current Employee - Finance in Hercules, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Hercules, CA

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Bio-Rad is that company that will challenge you and that will make you reach your full potential. I'm so proud of my senior management team for the skills they bring to our company. I get to learn from experienced professionals that helped take this company to amazing heights as a multibillion dollar company.
    -I get to go home every night knowing that I helped make the world a better place. I work in finance, but my numbers help managers throughout the company mange effectively. Either through more efficient equipment in numerous labs in the world or through accurate tests to improve quality of life.
    -I've never been surrounded by the most down to earth senior executives. I get to learn from them, and I'm happy whenever I produce high quality work that makes our company perform more efficiently.
    -I love my co-workers. In a big company like Bio-Rad, you'll find coworkers that will easily be lifelong colleagues, friends, and honorary family members.
    -Bio-Rad is very diverse in all aspects, and the company makes a large effort to recruit a diverse work pool. You can succeed here at Bio-Rad regardless of your background.

Cons

-I really don't have any cons. I've been here almost one year, and I have a great manager and great coworkers. This is the first company where my colleagues and managers truly want to see my grow and succeed in all aspects of my life.

Keep up the great work! I'm so proud of the new restructuring of our company, and I'm excited to see our company continue to grow! Thank you for this opportunity, I won't let you down!

Leaving a great company....

Current Employee - Scientist in Hercules, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Hercules, CA

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bio-rad is a generous paying company. You'll work with great people.

Cons

Maybe there should be a little more room for innovation.

Loved it initially, then hit the wall

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories

Pros

Great rank and file, really kind helpful smart people that want the company and their peers to succeed. Lots of lateral transfer opportunities and opportunity to work in different areas.

Cons

Poor management, insular inbred promotion of long-term internals who are more interested in their own career path than the success of the business or the job satisfaction and career growth of individual employees. Lots of doublespeak, clear irritation from management with the lack of progress but no decisions or transparency around the asks or the long-term strategy. When we get guidance, the management choices and actions are counter to the guidance. No ability or willingness to enable decision-making except at the very highest levels, the outspoken loud dominating employees get all of the attention and opportunities while the employees who quietly deliver the products are overlooked. A real waste of talent. Poor HR exposing the company to risk of litigation due to the lack of attention to professional norms - like correcting harrassing and bullying behaviors among employees and management. No culture of trust, transparency and no value of the employees from top management.

The situation is declining fast - great employees are leaving because they aren't provided recognition for achievement or a comfortable place to work, long-term internals get so much leash to behave unprofessionally without accountability or consequences. Recognize this and lead the company from the top down by demonstrating transparency, honesty and accountability and professionalism to the employees and expecting and enforcing those same behaviors throughout your org - even from long-term internals.

Good company, just stay away from Irvine, CA division

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong company, good benefits, continues to grow.

Cons

Don't take a position at the Irvine CA location. Too many politics, too much back stabbing even at executive level, too much unprofessionalism. Do not recommend unless you ONLY need a paycheck.

Decent Experience

Former Employee - Production Chemist I in Hercules, CA
    Former Employee - Production Chemist I in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

- Laid back company culture
    - Wonderful campus
    - Decent management team
    - Decent growth of the company
    - Some direction toward new technologies.

Cons

The manufacturing plant at hercules is very clicky and sometimes management don't know how to keep their supervisors in check. I had a very horrible experience where the manager didn't take my side of the story into account at all and just went with what they thought was the right thing. Their treatment is rude, unprofessional and they made up silly excuses for their behavior. Some of them are not qualified to be in the position they are in. We all know who we are talking about. Too much nepotism in my opinion. There is no growth.

Really see how some managers treat their employees. The manufacturing division needs to restructure their group and fire some people and get in capable managers.

Great company

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories as a contractor

Pros

Great management. Great - team oriented environment!

Cons

Hard to believe, but I cannot think of any complaints that I have.

Good company to work for.

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Hercules, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work and good people to work with. Stable and strong company.

Cons

Watch out for those occasional big lay-offs when things get tight. No loyalty to even the long time employees.

Good stable company

Former Employee - Research Associate in Hercules, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This place is comfortable and stable. They give you good opportunities to work your way up and explore other areas of interest from within the company and management actually care about your career growth.

Cons

This place is comfortable and stable. Not a lot of risk taking, not a lot of innovation.

More innovation = more exciting to come to work.

Great twenty years at Bio-Rad.

Former Employee - Sales Leardership in Hercules, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Leardership in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Tremendous stability and culture, considering the family ownership aspect.
    Innovative products and new product pipeline make it appealing to sales and customers.
    Great people that support each other.
    Excellent benefits and competitive compensation.

Cons

NIH funding can be an issue for the Life Science Group and all other biotech tool providers.

Marcom

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories as a contractor

Pros

Good team, smart people. There is nothing they couldn't accomplish. However their wings were often clipped by bad management decisions.

Cons

The management. Does not support their team.

Bio-Rad Laboratories Photos