Bio-Rad Laboratories

Updated December 16, 2014
3.1

Bio-Rad Laboratories President, CEO, and Director Norman Schwartz
Norman Schwartz

Pros
  • Decent benefits, work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Solid company financially, good product line up and industry growth is on the horizon (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Most managers have never worked anywhere else (in 4 reviews)

• Decision-making isn't always straightforward; often it's not clear who is responsible or accountable for specific decisions (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

73 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Bio-Rad is the best company out there. You will be challenged, and you will grow exponentially in all aspects of your professionalism.

Current Employee - Finance in Hercules, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Hercules, CA

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Bio-Rad is that company that will challenge you and that will make you reach your full potential. I'm so proud of my senior management team for the skills they bring to our company. I get to learn from experienced professionals that helped take this company to amazing heights as a multibillion dollar company.
    -I get to go home every night knowing that I helped make the world a better place. I work in finance, but my numbers help managers throughout the company mange effectively. Either through more efficient equipment in numerous labs in the world or through accurate tests to improve quality of life.
    -I've never been surrounded by the most down to earth senior executives. I get to learn from them, and I'm happy whenever I produce high quality work that makes our company perform more efficiently.
    -I love my co-workers. In a big company like Bio-Rad, you'll find coworkers that will easily be lifelong colleagues, friends, and honorary family members.
    -Bio-Rad is very diverse in all aspects, and the company makes a large effort to recruit a diverse work pool. You can succeed here at Bio-Rad regardless of your background.

Cons

-I really don't have any cons. I've been here almost one year, and I have a great manager and great coworkers. This is the first company where my colleagues and managers truly want to see my grow and succeed in all aspects of my life.

Keep up the great work! I'm so proud of the new restructuring of our company, and I'm excited to see our company continue to grow! Thank you for this opportunity, I won't let you down!

Not going anywhere fast

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Hercules, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Hercules, CA

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very lax, not too organized, Many employees get away with substandard work. People get promoted for mysterious reasons. So you can make it there.

Cons

No growth and prospects of growth. All good people left or have been let go because the threaten the calcified "leaders".

Get out of your office and go see how bad things are, a company is more than just numbers. Besides you see the trend.

Stable, perhaps to a fault

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very low turn over. Great work life balance (as long as you don't have a long commute). Very structured departments and groups. If you're comfortable with a very stable day-to-day operation with few bumps in the road this may appeal to you. Benefits are great.

Cons

Many of the Pros can also be considered Cons for the motivated and career-minded. Additionally, this is a very silo-ed organization. You may never work with (or even meet) anyone outside of your operational group. Pay scales are known in the industry to be consistently low across the organization. Politics are to be expected in a large organization - no exceptions here.

Better pay will attract stronger candidates.

Surprisingly unorganized for a global company

Former Employee - Production Chemist I in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice place to start out. You may have an chance for personal growth. Chance for lateral movement within the company once you are an employee which is great for professional development. Overall company culture is nice. Many events on campus such as BBQs and ice cream socials. Hercules campus is very larger and amazingly gorgeous with trials and a lot of views such as the Bay, bridges, wild turkey, and deer (in the evening). The corporate cafe has a very relaxing atmosphere. It backs to the Bay with indoor and outdoor dining options. Incredible!

Cons

First of all, this a typical 8-5 job. Little flexibility so work-life is challenging to manage. The intentions are good but the approach is inconsistent. There is a lot of change going on so no information is reliable. It seems to change on a monthly basis. Department management knows the technical side of the company but some are not very good at the business side. They do not know how to communicate effectively so it wastes a lot of time and resources. Some are not willing to listen to or try others' ideas and approaches even if it is an effective method or approached commonly used by competitors or in the industry.

Strengthen communication within the management team and down to the workers. It will increase efficiency, save the company time and money, and help the work-life balance. A lot of time is wasted rushing assignments on the front end. Take the time to be organized. The company has a lot to offer but the competitors have better, stronger, and smarter operations logistics. Supervisors and management should understand the technical and business side AND be able to communicate assignments and tasks to others. Some management do not hold themselves accountable for their weaknesses. Blaming others unfairly kills morale and causes great employees to leave to work for competitors. Do not feel threatened by others with strong leadership skills. It is very good for the company. Training should be by a designated lead and NOT a new employee with limited experience in a department or with a method. Bio-Rad's management team is doing way too much so there is no real leadership and makes it feel like a circus. Supervisors should be available for the workers. Lastly, use meetings to accomplish something. Stay focused!

OK, but very corporate

Former Employee - Product Manager in Hercules, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some nice people though paperwork and bureaucracy reign supreme. Nice opportunities for training right at the company and through sponsored training outside.

Cons

Hard to advance, management avoids risk. Not very interesting place to work. Campus is out in the boonies.

Mixed Emotions

Current Employee - Anonymous in Hercules, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Hercules, CA

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus and a somewhat stable employer during a period of economic turbulence. Founders remain committed to the organizations' sustainability and continue to invest back into the Company to help it grow and / or maintain it's market share. Being in an industry that helps improve the life of others and makes a difference for others feels good.

Cons

Business performance is "soft." Long tenure employees including many senior managers have little to no experience outside of Bio-Rad and can be overly risk adverse. This has creates a stable business during recent past but pay and benefits are average at best and the stability of the business can be at risk under new-changing business conditions. The work environment can also feel a bit stifling with clusters of employees at all levels of the organization who are slow to act and that seem afraid or insecure and spend more time and energy trying to protect themselves and their self-interests through passive-aggressive behaviors and management styles that create distrust. Some pockets of the organization are slow-paced and employees seem disinterested and low energy while other areas are working really hard with outdated systems and procedures that don't allow them to work smart instead of hard. HR policies and systems are outdated, feel ascetic and are ineffective. At times, who gets ahead and hired seems to be based more on "who you know" than "what you know" or "what you have really accomplish."

If you want to play in the big league you need to stop thinking like you're still in the little league. Your decision-making process and speed to action needs to improve and be more focused on actual facts and on what is in the best interest of the customer and the organization. Implement HR policies and procedures that are less "top-down focused" and that are more reflective of current-day best-practices including compensation and benefits structures that are more competitive and that reward individuals more on actual business accomplishments. Better prepare and train your managers to be less "top-down" and more effective as leaders.

Decent Experience

Former Employee - Production Chemist I in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

- Laid back company culture
    - Wonderful campus
    - Decent management team
    - Decent growth of the company
    - Some direction toward new technologies.

Cons

The manufacturing plant at hercules is very clicky and sometimes management don't know how to keep their supervisors in check. I had a very horrible experience where the manager didn't take my side of the story into account at all and just went with what they thought was the right thing. Their treatment is rude, unprofessional and they made up silly excuses for their behavior. Some of them are not qualified to be in the position they are in. We all know who we are talking about. Too much nepotism in my opinion. There is no growth.

Really see how some managers treat their employees. The manufacturing division needs to restructure their group and fire some people and get in capable managers.

Leaving a great company....

Current Employee - Scientist in Hercules, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Hercules, CA

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Bio-rad is a generous paying company. You'll work with great people.

Cons

Maybe there should be a little more room for innovation.

Laid off in 6 days

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Pay rate was at or just below the median for someone just coming out of college with my degree. Interview was relatively easy, and generally everyone I met in R&D / Engineering was both nice and supportive.

Cons

6 days into work, two other contracted employees and I were laid off. I was laid off under false pretenses, or at the worst a correctable offense. The contracting company had nothing to do with it - the bottom line was Bio-Rad over hired. Rather than just saying they over hired, they let me go under an excuse that will tar my record at the company. Management needs to learn to count before they hire.

Count before you hire, and watch your middle management. 3 people who had just started being laid off in a single sweep should not be ignored. I relocated for the position with the understanding that I had 6 months worth of work, and wasn't even there long enough to cover the cost of moving. At the very least, your managers should at least have the decency to answer the phone after.

Good company to work for.

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Hercules, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work and good people to work with. Stable and strong company.

Cons

Watch out for those occasional big lay-offs when things get tight. No loyalty to even the long time employees.

Bio-Rad Laboratories Photos