Bio-Rad Labs

Bio-Rad Labs Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Bio-Rad Labs President, CEO, and Director Norman Schwartz

Norman Schwartz

Pros:
  • "Work-life balance, well-being, safety and employee engagement are actively pursued"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Good benefits good team good oppurtunity to grow flexible with working hours"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Decision-making isn't always straightforward; often it's not clear who is responsible or accountable for specific decisions"
    in 5 reviews
  • "The company is old school which makes it comfortable but makes growth potential seem limited"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Bio-Rad has exceeded my high expectations as a recent hire.

Corp (Current Employee)
Hercules, CA

I have been working at Bio-Rad Labs full-time for less than a year

Pros-the company is accepting and highly tolerant of employees of all ages and backgrounds
-senior management is approachable. It is common to see executives of this multibillion dollar company in the same cafeteria as all employees
-knowing that the skills you bring to the company are making a difference in the world through ground breaking research in all of our company's products

Cons-Can't think of any cons. The workload can be demanding but forming a good relationship with your manager will make the workload much more manageable.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for giving me an opportunity to join the Bio-Rad legacy. I'm one of the youngest additions, but I can see myself being a part of this company for a decade or more!

Fabulous place to work

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bio-Rad Labs full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI go to work happy every day and come home that way. My management is terrific, the pay is great, and the work is stimulating. What else could one ask for? Oh, one more thing--it's a family-controlled company so we never have to worry about being sold off.

ConsDecision-making isn't always straightforward; often it's not clear who is responsible or accountable for specific decisions.

great

Chemist III (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bio-Rad Labs full-time for more than 5 years

Prosthe flexible schedule, promotions, compensation

Consthe politic, it sucks if you have not join a social group

Advice to Senior Managementnothing

Overall positive

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Bio-Rad Labs full-time

ProsGood people, dedicated workforce,

ConsLeadership is conservative and advancement is contingent upon who you know vs. performance.
In some groups bully behavior is encouraged.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to people, watch for hearing what you want rather than what is actually happenings.

Long time employee with a 20+ year view on management evolution.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bio-Rad Labs full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCurrent Life Science Group Management is ambitious, competitive, greed driven, and dictatorial. They will grow the business, so there will always be jobs at BRL.

ConsNo loyalty for long term employees. Life Science leadership views long term employees (20+ years) as a hindrance to growth,innovation and change. Its like working for the Godfather, but with no loyalty. Now bow your head the kiss the ring. The business will grow, some times at the expense of the employee base.

Excellent culture for growth

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bio-Rad Labs full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFriendly management and staff culture.

ConsNo cons noted in this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Good and Stable company - Long term security on job but things gets done at its own pace.

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bio-Rad Labs full-time for more than 8 years

ProsStable company with solid direction from CIO, CFO, Directors and upper management. Employees and Management have shown consistent commitment to work and finding their way to profitability. Work environment is generally nice, supportive, collaborative and effective for team work. Most projects and tasks I worked with had reasonable timelines and flexibility to work my preferred solutions (how I deemed right) as long as I kept management updated of approach, status and delivered in time. Employees have some flexibility to work schedules, some on job training and decent benefits.

ConsWork gets done here at its own pace with some hand holding and convincing. Small issues and dissatisfaction can become big and over shadow success.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place to work!

Engineer (Current Employee)
Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Bio-Rad Labs full-time for more than a year

ProsBio-rad is a great place to work. The company's philosophy is family oriented and therefore makes for a lot of care for its people in the benefits and salary that it gives.

ConsBio-rad is a slow growing company which makes for a stable environment but also means that the budget can be tight for bonuses.

Great company

IT Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bio-Rad Labs full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsChange takes time to implement

Poor management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bio-Rad Labs full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInsurance benefits for entire family, suburban locations, easy reverse commute, clean, comfortable offices, nice campus.

ConsInept management, penny pinching, cliquish , old school management, no flexibility . Not a happy environment, no gym, or perks. Top down management, no openness to innovation. Just work. I never worked anywhere where people complained about their jobs this much and yet didn't quit and find a better job.

Advice to Senior Managementget some new blood in management, too many have been there too long and don't know how to do things better

Worked for Bio-Rad Labs? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bio-Rad Labs reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bio-Rad Labs CEO Norman Schwartz. All 120 reviews posted anonymously by Bio-Rad Labs employees.