Bio-Reference Labs

Updated October 17, 2014
2.5

Bio-Reference Labs Chairman, President, and CEO Marc D. Grodman
Marc D. Grodman

I have been working at Bio-Reference Labs part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and insurance for company

Cons

Opening up new Psc and having no patients sitting there for a whole month with doing absolutely nothing hence why they are at the bottom of the lab list

Don't have supervisor management ask employee for prior lab info. Work on bldg your own empire

Not good

Current Employee - Specimen Processor
    Current Employee - Specimen Processor

I have been working at Bio-Reference Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits is the only pro in this company, and meeting some decent co workers.

Cons

The management only likes people who kiss butt, the favortism is horrible. The raises are disgustingly horrible. Overworked, inderpaid. Unethical supervisors!

Have some work ethics and morals.

RUN FOR THE HILLS !!!!!!!!

I have been working at Bio-Reference Labs full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great medical benefits and somewhat flexible hours that's about it.

Cons

Unless you kiss butt there is no room for growth. Pay is horrible. You are watched as if your child. Lots of favoritism. Not a equal opportunity work environment. Constant change but unless you're management you won't be notified. Horrible communication between management and employees. Employees coming into the department with no experience are getting paid the same as or more than employees that have been there for years.

Start paying employees what they're worth. You have good employees that have been part of the department for years show them some gratitude and give them the pay they deserve. Take a look at your team leads and management. Stop treating employees like they are children.

My experience in this company stinks.

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Dispatcher in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Bio-Reference Labs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The medical benefits and all the employee discounts are the real reasons why I am still working for this billion dollar company.

Cons

There is too much diversity, too much favoritism, no advancement unless you kiss someone's butt or sleep with them. The raises are an insult to us as working human beings. When there is an opportunity to try to move up or should I say transfer to a better department, they give it to someone else or make you wait for a year or so

My advice to management is look over your managers and supervisors, especially in the transportation department. Very sneaky, and deceiving

Lab Technologist

Current Employee - Lab Technologist in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Lab Technologist in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Bio-Reference Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Steady work and good benefits Something to put on a resume.

Cons

Mandatory weekends and without rotating shifts, The day shift is a skeleton crew but the over night is packed with people because they only hire for nights. Focus on work output over quality. The pay is below par even with night differential. This is a revolving door company.

Extremely competitive market

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Bio-Reference Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom to run territory as your own business.

Cons

Lots of pressure to maintain accounts while constantly prospecting for new accounts. Crappy pay. Little resources and support.

Pay your people more - you get what you pay for.

VERY unstable SUPERIORS!!!

I have been working at Bio-Reference Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

GREAT HEALTH BENEFITS AT ALMOST NO COST!! FREE LAB WORK!

Cons

unstable superiors, at least in my department which is the only one i could give you my thoughts. Way too much favoritism, people bringing personal issues into work, everything is just oh so horrible. My "supervisor" quit and left the building cursing, our doctor has a meeting with us blaming the staff for the instability of the supervisor and WE were the reason she quit, the next day she was in the office has if nothing happened!! the director took NO action for her actions!! If you want to suffer from anxiety and depression i recommend you work for this company.

QUIT !

un professional

Current Employee - Billing Representative in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Billing Representative in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Bio-Reference Labs

Pros

enjoyed some of coworkers, and like my line of work

Cons

favoritism, its all cliqs like high school even upper managment dont value the good workers

do random drug testing that even managers dont know about , record all customer service calls make sure people are getting promotions based on work ethic not who they are dating or friends with

A busy, disorganized, and unprofessional environment

Former Employee - Cytology Transcriptionist in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Cytology Transcriptionist in Elmwood Park, NJ

I worked at Bio-Reference Labs part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay/experience for young adults going into the research area.

Cons

The workload can get excruciatingly high and disorganized.
    The work environment consists of several unprofessional employees who don't want to be there.
    You may be forced to work horrible shifts, with no say in the matter.

Organize the workload and work environment. There are several employees who just don't put effort in their work, while collaboration with the other departments needs to be improved in order to bring down the workload.

Ridiculous policies, low pay, how the Grinch stole client service

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at Bio-Reference Labs full-time

Pros

Gain good industry knowledge. Leader in the industry. Health industry is a good place to be. Wide variety of challenges. Great benefits.

Cons

Director is trying to make changes through process improvement but is driving reckless behavior due to management through fear and unreasonable rules. Workplace becomes heated in mornings and late nights and management has deemed fans as the devils spawn. Bad for older woman going through menopause. While other departments have the luxury of being able to visit the coffee truck, play the radio softly, decorate their sections, we have become stripped of all such activities. Birthdays have been banned. Need to ask permission to have your cell phone handy. Cameras installed everywhere making it feel like big brother is watching. Office has become a very "cold" uninviting environment.

Expected to work the work of three different departments while we are merging into one group. It’s not feasible nor fair for them to expect us to continue on with this increased workload at our current level of pay

Get it together. The economy is changing and you can't work people to the bone, with little reward and retain quality and motivated staff. companies should avoid "unrealistic" policies.

Get rid of the unrealistic laughable policies such as not allowing employees to celebrate birthdays, let alone have a birthday cake.