BioFire Diagnostics Reviews

Reset
Kirk Ririe

Great growing company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at BioFire Diagnostics (More than a year)

Pros

Career growth. Great benefits. Supportive and encouraging management. Great team building environment. Opportunity to travel. Competitive salaries. Intelligent and dedicated peers. New parent company seemingly dedicated to growing the BioFire enterprise. Every other Friday off (great for planning non-work related appointments, vacations, etc.). New high tech building to be completed in Fall 2016. Food trucks.

Cons

Few eating establishments within walking distance. Foothill Drive traffic can slow down the commute. Currently spread among 6 different buildings (but this will be solved with the completion of the new building).

Advice to Management

Stay focused during the rapid growth that we are and will be experiencing over the next several years. Keep the company operating somewhat independently of the parent company.

Innovative product and research- serious manufacturing personnel issues.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at BioFire Diagnostics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BioFire has a great product backed by a serious commitment to research and development. Nice location in Research Park. Great flexibility in hours. Fantastic benefits and a great attitude within the company. Not too much overtime and, when it is needed, ample notice is given (for instance, during the height of the flu season).

Cons

This company started small and grew very fast and, as other reviewers have related, something went wrong along the way in their manufacturing department. Inexperienced supervisors have made poor decisions with regards to hiring and been consistently unable to foster and maintain a professional working environment on the production lines. Loud and offensive music, age discrimination and a sexualized work environment were common workplace conditions, while complaints to HR were largely ignored. Overall, a disappointing experience- especially so when, given the above average pay scale and excellent benefits, the company could have set much higher performance standards and expectations for supervisory and production level employees. With such a strong product and commitment to the industry, BioFire had the opportunity to create a special and innovative manufacturing environment-unfortunately, ill-chosen decisions to promote fundamentally unsuited people to supervisory positions and the failure to recognize and correct these issues has created a workforce that is no better than its lowest common denominator.

Advice to Management

The management structure within the manufacturing division is broken-this company can do much better, but they need to recognize that loyalty to long term employees and the desire to promote from within should not trump experience, qualifications and proficiency at the required tasks.

Seems Great, Right?

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at BioFire Diagnostics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and work schedule are great! Plenty of challenging tasks to accomplish. Growth means plenty of professional growth for employees that can follow management and not apply tried and true manufacturing best practices.

Cons

Management has little experience in Leadership, smart people in a technical sense, but lack the people skills and trust to empower and LEAD the smart people they represent. Upper management seems competitive and divergent, self seeking personal goals at the expense of a unified long term strategic plan. Kirk and Randy are at opposite ends of the risk tolerance spectrum. Even at the top there is not a unified communicated strategic plan.

Advice to Management

LEARN how to LEAD, as a group. Plenty of articles online about how to be a good leader, read and live them! Provide training for yourself and new leaders within! Set up an efficient, scale-able LEADERSHIP structure if you want to be sustainable. Promoting seniority and technical experts without equipping them will not lead to success. Listen to those in the trenches, trust and empower them to make impactful decisions.

5. Great Company, People, and Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at BioFire Diagnostics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Above average benefits and work/life balance. Innovative company with casual corporate culture. Opportunities for growth and development.

Cons

Growth has created a lot of challenges. Change is a way of life, so you have to be adaptable.

Quality

I have been working at BioFire Diagnostics full-time

Pros

Great company with wonderful benefits; 401K is the best, every other Friday off, 160 hours a year of vacation and decent bonus. Plenty to do.

Cons

Home grown management team is very immature and lacks real world experience. No pay raises given, get your money coming in the door. Very little opportunity for advancement, unless you are a member of the "cool crowd"

Advice to Management

Hire real managers/directors with extensive industry experience

Not at all worth the money.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in South Salt Lake, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in South Salt Lake, UT

I worked at BioFire Diagnostics

Pros

Great starting wage. Amazing product with lots of potential.

Cons

If youre looking for a company that trains its employees look elsewhere. I was given a very brief how to my first couple days here but that was about it. Asking questions gets you nothing but annoyed looks from everyone around you, and youre treated as though you just inherit knowledge when youre hired and should automatically know what to do. Dont fall for the every other Friday off speech either - not all departments are granted that schedule, in fact, in manufacturing areas you will not only work a regular shift but you will also be expected to work overtime and occasional weekends with very little to absolutely zero notice at all. Sexual jokes and flirting is rampant in the production and manufacturing areas as another reviewer mentioned. Ive known of at least one supervisor sleeping with subordinates in other departments. Im no prude but it definitely got uncomfortable sometimes. Being one of very few females I was also treated like an idiot on occasion - the guys there often made you feel like you needed your hand held on the most basic tasks. It seemed like everyone I worked with was looking elsewhere for a job even though we all really believed in the product Biofire makes. I wanted to believe in the place and I really wanted to stay there but I just couldnt drag myself in there every day.

Advice to Management

Some management training classes would do the entire company some good. Tenure doesnt equal a good boss. Stop sleeping with subordinates and yelling at your employees. Train your people.

Opportunity and Growth Abound at this Company

I have been working at BioFire Diagnostics

Pros

This is a great company if you are looking to work hard and help build the company for the future. They have amazing benefits. PTO for new hires is more than management gets at many companies. And the 401(k) plan is the best I've ever seen. Because the company is growing (rather fast) there is opportunity for advancement in all areas. It's nice to be part of a company that's developing and manufacturing products that save lives!

Cons

With growth comes much change. If you're looking for an environment that's status quo - this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and keep an open mind. You built a great product; your employees are invested in making it even better.

9. Are you kidding? This is a fantastic place to work!

I have been working at BioFire Diagnostics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay. Fantastic health insurance. Amazing time off allowance. Best 401(k) program ever. Fun and encouraging people. Huge growth. Ideal location. I don't know the circumstances behind some of these other more negative reviewers but I wonder if I work for the same company. I have never experienced anything like what they are describing. I have found all of my managers, directors, and even upper management to be anxiously engaged in the success of the product, company, and even in my own professional progression. I have enjoyed professional and personal interactions with multiple coworkers from a multitude of departments. I would recommend employment at BioFire without hesitation.

Cons

There is a lot of work for every employee and sometimes it feels overwhelming. Rapid growth causes difficulty and some things go overlooked. Large campus with multiple buildings.

Great company, not great management

I have been working at BioFire Diagnostics

Pros

Company is growing. Product is innovative. Great to its employees with the benefits it provides.

Cons

Some management lacks maturity has a "me before you" attitude when it comes to career growth and development. Hard to move across department lines; some may seem stuck in their position and department.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to grow and stretch to their full potential.

Horrible Staff On Every Level

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at BioFire Diagnostics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A good place for people looking to learn and develop manufacturing skills.

Cons

There is no integrity involved in this process, Directors and management sit in office all day and never offer solutions to problems in production areas. No advancement or transfers to other departments.

RSS Feed </> Embed