BioMarin Pharmaceutical

J.J. Bienaimé

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent Experience

Senior Specialist (Current Employee) Novato, CA

ProsThe culture is dynamic. Management is very accessible due to the open-door policy. The employees are smart, friendly, dedicated and committed to the company and the patients they serve. Although everyone is super busy there is work-life balance. Direct managers seem very committed to ensuring that their teams have what is needed to succeed. IT is awesome.

ConsI'm still in the honeymoon phase after only a few weeks with the company but it is inconvenient having so many campuses. It's often necessary to go between Novato and San Rafael for meetings to ensure you get the face time you need. Other than that, there are no cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Everyone I've met so far is satisfied and willing to go the extra mile.

Growing Rapidly and Awkward

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Novato, CA

ProsProducts make major positive difference in patient's lives. Reverse commute from SF and East Bay. Opportunities to grow in your career if you have the right manager. Competitive benefits. Start up mentality with plenty of latitude for those who want to push the boundaries of professional appearance and behavior. Great opportunities for consultants and contractors.

ConsUnrealistic timelines and expectations; this is a problem for workers and potentially a problem for patients. Currently lacking some systems which are necessary for sustained success in the biotech industry. Start up mentality with plenty of latitude for those who want to push the boundaries of professional appearance and behavior. Turn over rate is problematic.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the turn over rate and investigate root cause.
    Inability to manage resource loading will continue to hinder the organization as it continues to grow.
    Avoid becoming like Johnson and Johnson (Alza). Be more like Genentech.

Very Disappointing Experience

Research Associate (Former Employee) Novato, CA

ProsGood Benefits, average pay, stock options, ESPP, and mostly friendly people at individual contributor level.

ConsOrwellian like work culture, there is a lot of whispering and looking over your shoulder. Many business procedures were justified by what "seems to work" and not necessarily what was the most productive and/or efficient way of accomplishing tasks. Management often sets unreasonable timelines, creating high levels anxiety within project teams. Management is unclear in communicating what the objectives or timelines of project are, which lead to confusion and frustraton. Project teams seem to be in a constant battle for resources and attention. Also, poor work-life balance, over inflated titles that don't mean much, and very unprofessional work environment where bad behavior is ignored by management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quite a mix of good and not good

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Novato, CA

ProsGreat salary and benefits.

ConsC- and VP- level management is great. Below that, it's hit or miss. Very director-heavy. Little promotion from within.

Love it

Research Associate (Current Employee) Novato, CA

ProsThe people I work with are awesome, company has a lot of perks, holiday parties, free lunch on friday and breakfast on wednesday. Everybody is really supportive

ConsBeing a temp has a lot and I mean a lot of downsides, pay is not good can't take any days off when you area sick and don't get paid for holidays

A career highlight to work at BioMarin

Senior Scientist (Current Employee) Novato, CA

ProsBioMarin is a very fun company to work for. The work is interesting, challenging, demanding at times, and you're given plenty of resources to help along the way. The company spends a lot of time and effort on you as an employee and you can definitely feel that the company places value on your time. The offices, labs, and manufacturing facilities are very nice and modern.

ConsThe commute to the main facility in Novato is a minor drawback, but the company is growing and other locations around the bay area are coming into play.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

supply chain lead

Research Associate (Former Employee) Novato, CA

Prosdecent pay and work environment are great....free breakfast daily and free lunch every Friday...employee benefits and incentive are great

Consthe company as a whole is great....my commute is the only problem i had - it took me apprx an hour to get from san mateo to novato

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Summer Intern at BioMarin

Intern (Former Employee) Novato, CA

ProsGreat place to work. The company really takes care of the employees. Retains the biotech 'feel' that is lost to some of the larger biotechs. Always patient focused

ConsCommuting to the North Bay can be a pain- no real public transportation. Many interns ended up being the sons/daughters of senior management.

Great Place to work!!

Research Associate III (Current Employee) Novato, CA

ProsThe job is very intense but rewarding. Every one is friendly and willing to help out. There is quite a bit of moving between teams, allowing you to learn a great deal. The company is rising very quickly. This is a great place to be if you want to advance your career.

ConsOnly down side, expect long hours....all the time! The dead lines never end. If you don't have a data cut for your group your helping another group meet theirs.

A good place to learn how science works in a pharmaceutical settings.

Intern (Former Employee) Novato, CA

Pros-Fun atmosphere. The company did a lot to let interns interact with each other even though we were in different parts of the company.
    -The company provided catered lunch every Friday as well as breakfast (fruits, bagels) every Wednesday.
    -The people I worked with were very social and helpful.
    -Pay was good for an internship.
    -Made an effort to include the interns in the discussions and weekly meetings.
    -I learned a lot just by being there. Because they are a small company, it's not difficult to pick up information from other sectors of the company.

Cons-I definitely worked longer hours than I expected. But that was more in the beginning of the internship when I was learning new scientific techniques.
    -A fair amount of repetition in terms of experimental techniques.
    -Steep learning curve. I felt like I had to master all the techniques very quickly in order to do the experiment. But once I got them down, I started to get bored doing the same thing constantly.
    -You will be on your feet for the majority of the day while in the lab. It is tiring for the first couple of weeks until you get used to it, even if you're in good shape.

Worked for BioMarin Pharmaceutical? Contribute to the Community!