BioReliance

Charles C. Harwood Jr.

Things are improving, slowly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at BioReliance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid-back culture, decent benefits, many opportunities for growth if you aggressively pursue them. Things seem to be improving, more of a focus on improving pay, providing promotion opportunities, and improving the company culture through company events (basically throwing tons of food at us). Nothing is perfect, but you gotta recognize when progress has been made.

Cons

Overall pay is likely still on the low side for most people. The culture has a nasty double-edged sword: things are very laid-back here, but that leads to tolerance for disorganization, dysfunction, incompetence, and lack of communication. As an organization, BioReliance is its own worst enemy and I am not sure that the business impact of this is necessarily realized.

Continue current path, but raise standards, especially among middle management. If we're going to claim to be a client-focused company, that starts with making sure our house is in order. Poor communication is still a huge issue, especially between Operations and business functions. This leads to problems that negatively impact our metrics and client relationships, not to mention the unneeded stress and drama it generates.

A good stepping stone

Former Employee - Associate Scientist II in Rockville, MD

I worked at BioReliance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A great place to start right out of school...get some experience and then get out. nature of the work is a dead end road for long term employees.

Great coworkers....pretty much the reason i stayed so long, otherwise I'd have left much sooner.

Cons

Micromanaging supervisors, lack of appreciation for your hard work, failure to acknowledge ideas from lab staff, pay generally low versus other companies in the area.

try to close the revolving door of turnover...company has a good "product" to offer to your clients...could be much better with some attention paid to the lab staff which do 90% of the work of the organization.

ENJOYED WORKING HERE!

I have been working at BioReliance

Pros

Great schedule, work environment, and people

Cons

Nothing to complain about here

Bring us lunch

This place is HORRIBLE

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at BioReliance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good experience to get your foot in the door. Flexible work schedule

Cons

Benefits are the absolute worst and too expensive, they hardly cover anything.
    EXTREMELY low pay, about 30 - 60% UNDER average for the ENTIRE area.
    Company prefers to hire within and passes on highly qualified candidates, which doesn't make sense for many departments. IE a person who works in the laboratory shouldn't get a job as a marketing manager or director.
    Most managers are managers because of time at company, not because they have training to be an actual manager.

Nice place to work if you're in the right departments.

Former Employee - Associate Scientist II in Rockville, MD

I worked at BioReliance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most departments have good work environments and good people.
    Good benefits: very good 401k matching program, good health coverage
    Lots of employee enrichment activities

Cons

Hard to advance unless the stars align to put you in the right place at the right time.
    Some departments are over worked and under valued.
    Poor communication from upper management to those below.

Promote and value your good workers, when you don't they leave and leave big shoes to fill.

Only if you are starting out and need some experience

I worked at BioReliance full-time

Pros

Good for new graduates to learn some biotech basics, not good for long term growth.

Cons

Rampant office politics and hypocritical policies. Attempts are made to make employees think that things are changing but the carousel just goes around and around. Improvement is promised but seldom delivered. Depending on the department, may be dealing with difficult individuals that are entrenched in the company with no hope for change. If you are starting out in biotech, it may be worth considering. Get your feet wet and get out.

Great learning experience, disconnected management and not a lot of perks

Former Employee - Associate Scientist I
    Former Employee - Associate Scientist I

I worked at BioReliance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really good hands on experience working in the labs and excellent opportunities to cross-train. Good camaderie within each lab.

Cons

Did not get to see how the business ran and information is very filtered when it gets to the lower levels. Never saw upper management once in my 13 months there. Even senior managers seemed uninformed and not sure of what the company's goals were.

Not a lot of perks or benefits. No free lunches, paid lunches, prizes or awards.

Need more competitive compensation to keep talent. Communicate with your employees more.

Turning the corner

I have been working at BioReliance

Pros

60% of first 6% matched by 401K.
    4.5% annual pension, no matter if you contribute to your 401K or not.

Cons

The ship is headed in the right direction, but it will take some time go get to the intended destination.

Training helps.

Horrible beyond your imagination.

I worked at BioReliance (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job security. (They don't even fire those who need to be fired. Especially the management and senior members who cause more damage than good by playing games with politics)

Cons

EVERYTHING. Low pay, unbelievably low pay increase or compensation, no respect for the employees, no opportunities for career development/advancement, bogus evaluation procedure, incompetent managers (too busy with politics and manipulation of the employees), meaningless training (only a show for regulatory agencies) and purpose of meetings are to gossip. Harassment goes unpunished.

Management IS the problem. Let people do work and stop with the manipulation and close door discussions and gossips. And you wonder why there's such high turnover?

good dynamic place to work

I have been working at BioReliance full-time

Pros

learn alot and opportunity to shadow

Cons

intense work required , attention to detail