BioWare
www.bioware.com Edmonton, Canada 500 to 999 Employees

BioWare Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014
BioWare – Edmonton – “BioWare Celebrates Pink Shirt Day”

Not yet rated.

Andrew Wilson

Very fulfilling

Production (Current Employee)

I have been working at BioWare full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople, quality focus, strong leadership team, career opportunities, great culture.

ConsProject size can be overwhelming

The best career decision of my life!!

I have been working at BioWare

ProsThe people, the passion, the common goal

ConsUnfortunately the gaming industry sees a lot of change from time to time, due to natural restructuring post lauch. I would liked to have had more time to work more closely with some industry geniuses.

World class dev that really looks after its staff

Artist (Current Employee)

I have been working at BioWare full-time for less than a year

ProsFantastic projects with great subject matter and strong direction. Great teams with a lot of experience and drive as well as a positive atmosphere to work in.

ConsThe location and building for the studio isn't the best. The city isn't the greatest place in the world either but its not that bad either.

Working at BioWare Edmonton is like being in the dance band on the Titanic

Designer (Former Employee)
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at BioWare full-time for more than a year

ProsVery family oriented. Several husband and wife teams.
Good salaries and ESPP.
A lot of talented designers and writers.
Really good benefits.
Breakfast every morning.
Free milk and juice to drink.
EA has great marketing.
Edmonton has hardly any traffic.

ConsNepotism is rampant.
Huge team sizes.
Seemingly closed to new ideas.
Not much room to grow. Many employees are expected to specialize in a particular aspect of their discipline, and there are few opportunities for leadership.
Art and Programming departments get their way more than they should because BioWare has trouble hiring programmers and artists.
Many producers are completely clueless at how to manage a large team.
The Dragon Age management team is misguided and they seem to be group-thinking their franchise off a cliff.
Some managers tend to take undue credit for the hard work and brilliant ideas of their team members.
Most people at Bioware Edmonton have never worked for other game companies, and many of them probably wouldn't cut it outside BioWare.
High cost of living in Edmonton, despite the fact that hardly anyone really wants to live there.

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than rewarding loyalty by promoting long-timers to positions where they become inept, bring in some fresh talent from outside BioWare to modernize how you develop games. The way BioWare Edmonton does business is very expensive and it is not changing to match the pace of the industry. Development costs for Triple-A games are increasing, but BioWare's profits are not keeping pace, and SWTOR was very disappointing in terms of sales. If things don't change soon, EA is likely to trim a lot of the fat from BioWare Edmonton to make the studio more sustainable.

great place to work before 08

I worked at BioWare full-time

ProsRay and Greg are best executive staff that I have worked for. Amazingly creative, intelligent, passionate individuals doing fabulous things.

ConsMass Effect 23 - the Madden Edition, EA is killing creativity with it's incessant sequelology. Ray and Greg have become too diluted to remain effective forever; with too many studios, divisions and products to focus on. The ever encroaching centralized EA bureaucracy.

Not amazing, but pretty good.

Senior Level Artist (Current Employee)

I have been working at BioWare full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWorking at Bioware I have had the opportunity to work on some fantastic projects with some really amazing and passionate people. Most days I look forward to going into the office and sometimes I get so involved in my work that I end up staying late. There is a real sense that everyone want's to do the best they can to produce the best games possible.

The feeling of shipping AAA games can be quite rewarding.

Edmonton is actually a nice city with close proximity to Jasper National Park.

Fairly good studio culture.

ConsMediocre pay / Poor employee evaluation program.

People tend to get pigeon holed into doing one thing which really limits personal opportunities for growth.

Studio is becoming increasingly political and corporate.

The studio is in a really poor location of the city.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice tends to come from the top down.

hurting -- SWOTR fail has hurt us badly in EA

I have been working at BioWare full-time for more than a year

Prosdecent pay and good benefits. Interesting products and exposure to a weird subculture. Management seems to leave us alone if we demonstrate minimal competence

Consuncertain future, likely to get ground up by EA and spit out. "Studio" culture is nice but parent company EA is like so many other big companies

Advice to Senior Managementget some!

A great opportunity to work with a great bunch of really talented people

I worked at BioWare full-time

ProsExciting projects, nice perks, good environment. Designers are the best I've work with, as is the QA department. Sys admin department is also really good - responsive, responsible and proactive.

ConsSometimes blatantly disregards time estimates for work - why ask for them in the first place if you're not going to schedule based on reality?

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways reply to questions from employees, even if it's in the negative - don't just pretend the question was never asked.

Overall, a great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BioWare full-time for less than a year

ProsExcellent work environment, very open line of communication with superiors. Information flow was superb. Pay was decent, and scheduling was flexible. Overall, a great place to work- I would recommend working here to anyone that can break in to the industry.

ConsThe gaming industry, owned by EA. Unfortunately, the industry can be very unforgiving, and when a game doesn't perform well (or as well as expected) operating costs get cut, which means people lose their jobs. Sometimes there is notice about being laid off, other times it is a very abrupt event.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn all honesty, there isn't much to be said. Management was awesome- although the parent company's involvement was, in my opinion, very detrimental to the project.

BIOWARE Ireland Rating

Galway (Ireland)

I have been working at BioWare full-time for less than a year

ProsVery good games supported, nice people, liberty of expression, geek culture.

ConsInternal tools, internal policies, Tiers management, horrible shifts and schedules, management pressure, cantine and sanitary issues, facilities issues, language-based positions discrimination regarding schedules,

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve and relate on lower positions, hire new employees, open internal mobility, flexible schedules, change internal policies, change cantine, one desk per agent, review air conditionning, start to act with the video games companies culture.

Worked for BioWare? Contribute to the Community!

BioWare – Why Work for Us?

BioWare's vision is to create, deliver, and evolve the most emotionally engaging games in the world. BioWare develops high-quality console, PC, and online role-playing games focused on rich stories, unforgettable… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BioWare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BioWare CEO Andrew Wilson. All 48 reviews posted anonymously by BioWare employees.