BioWare Reviews

Updated September 28, 2014
Updated September 28, 2014
3.5

Andrew Wilson

Pros
  • Excellent work environment, very open line of communication with superiors (in 7 reviews)

• There are a great deal of developers here with their own families, so the work/life balance is admirable (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Unfortunately the gaming industry sees a lot of change from time to time, due to natural restructuring post lauch (in 8 reviews)

• This creates a very distinct caste system between the "have's" (the full time employees) and the "have not's" (the contract workers) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

When it's good it's real good.

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere. You feel like you are part of a large family.

Cons

When layoffs come, the stress level goes way up!

Awful

I worked at BioWare

Pros

This company used to be stellar. Made great software. Now it dumps quality everywhere it can in order to suit EA. The brand is tarnished, and I recommend everyone to stay away.

Cons

Working for a company that used to represent gamers, now it's just a shell. "Freemium" model is just a BS as it sounds. It consists of hooking gamers with something well programmed and free, and suckering them to pay for something expensive and buggy. Don't waste your time or money.

EA is a vampire. Now that they've got hold of Bioware, there's nothing that can save it now.

Great company, but recent years suggest concern.

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at BioWare full-time

Pros

Great and supporting environment. The people mostly are excited about their projects. People try to be accommodating of real life. Bioware also creates great games consistently. Even the games that haven't sold as well are still respected. It's a great name to have on your resume. There are good opportunities to do cutting edge work.

Cons

Bioware has somewhat of a crunch atmosphere. Project schedules tend to run tight and there are year or longer crunches and sometimes perpetual ones with little breaks. Crunch has always been seen as necessary. In the past, there was a camaraderie that made this tolerable. It felt like the company had your back. By the time I left, there was a growing sense of uncertainty. It felt like layoffs could happen any time to anybody. Just one bad project and everyone would be out the door. Bio used to value people over projects, but now that seems reversed. It is possible that this trend will reverse again with shifts in leadership at EA, but be aware, I've heard of people move and then getting laid off within months. Also be aware that each Bio studio is different. Edmonton, Montreal, and Austin are all somewhat different.

Be careful to focus on your people over your projects. Good people make good projects, but you can't always find good people to staff projects, even if the project idea is a good one. Laid off employees sometimes don't come back.

Best/smartest company I've worked for

Former Employee - Withheld in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Withheld in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Committed to product quality
    Committed to quality of life for employees
    Honest, committed management
    Company ran via analysis rather than emotion

Cons

Had challenges with integration with EA
    Loyalty to long term employees sometimes meant they were promoted beyond their capabilities

Let Bioware be Bioware rather than EA!

Great place to work, would have given up some of the benefits to avoid layoffs.

Former Employee - Operations/Project Management in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Operations/Project Management in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Smart, dedicated co-workers. Internal processes good, could be be better. Fantastic benefits to the point of being extravagant, which may have contributed to all of the layoffs. This may no longer be the case, as I understand there have been major changes in this respect.

Cons

Lack of job security (like most game industry jobs).

Do Not Work Here

Former Employee - Flash Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Flash Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Some of the people working in the Austin office are talented. There is a nice cafeteria within walking distance from the office.

Cons

Most of the people working for BioWare are immature and untalented. Upper management is crass, loutish, arrogant, and mean. Contractors are treated like toilet paper (and about half of the work force is composed of contractors). There are few older employees. Those few are treated with disrespect bordering on harassment. Employees are harassed about their weight. Bioware is one of the worst places I have worked.

Go out of business. I'm not kidding. You stink to high heaven. You don't know how to treat human beings.

Best time of my life

Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare full-time

Pros

At the time I was there I got to work with one of the best teams I ever had worked with and had the most fun I've ever had. I remember saying to a team member "Where could we ever go that would be better than here?"

Cons

Some of the senior management team is not well respected or well liked, but remain in their jobs despite massive complaints. I wish Upper Management would listen more and clean out the ranks.

Find the wink links and replace them - it'll keep the good people there.

Great complete overview of the games industry as an entry level employee.

Former Employee - Platform QA Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Platform QA Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great People
    Good learning experience
    Can learn many aspects of business from here

Cons

At the time it was a very large studio with 500+ people. So there is a lot of bureaucracy to communicate with anyone not part of your team. The approval processes and number of meetings can occasionally be disruptive to work flow.

Great company with great values.

Former Employee - Environment Artist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Environment Artist in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great IPs to work with, lots of emphasis on personal input, management is open to listening to your ideas and is generally concerned with your work satisfaction. There was a really great emphasis on work/life balance as well.

Cons

I don't have too many cons to report. I had a great experience during my tenure at the studio.

I really admire the company's core values. Keep adhering to them and you'll have a satisfied and enthusiastic team.

Great people hampered by odd decisions

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Met some great, talented people. Many days were lots of fun.

Cons

QA is run in a way that discourages being a team player. Too much emphasis on contract and overseas QA. Much of QA, except those few who are 'embedded' with the developers, seem to be kept at arms length.

Stop the industry-wide use of contract workers. QA personnel are an important part of the development process, not a group to be thrown away.