BioWare
www.bioware.com Edmonton, Canada 500 to 999 Employees

BioWare Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014
BioWare – Edmonton – “BioWare Celebrates Pink Shirt Day”

Not yet rated.

Andrew Wilson

Best/smartest company I've worked for

Withheld (Former Employee)

I worked at BioWare full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCommitted to product quality
Committed to quality of life for employees
Honest, committed management
Company ran via analysis rather than emotion

ConsHad challenges with integration with EA
Loyalty to long term employees sometimes meant they were promoted beyond their capabilities

Advice to Senior ManagementLet Bioware be Bioware rather than EA!

Great company, but recent years suggest concern.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at BioWare full-time

ProsGreat and supporting environment. The people mostly are excited about their projects. People try to be accommodating of real life. Bioware also creates great games consistently. Even the games that haven't sold as well are still respected. It's a great name to have on your resume. There are good opportunities to do cutting edge work.

ConsBioware has somewhat of a crunch atmosphere. Project schedules tend to run tight and there are year or longer crunches and sometimes perpetual ones with little breaks. Crunch has always been seen as necessary. In the past, there was a camaraderie that made this tolerable. It felt like the company had your back. By the time I left, there was a growing sense of uncertainty. It felt like layoffs could happen any time to anybody. Just one bad project and everyone would be out the door. Bio used to value people over projects, but now that seems reversed. It is possible that this trend will reverse again with shifts in leadership at EA, but be aware, I've heard of people move and then getting laid off within months. Also be aware that each Bio studio is different. Edmonton, Montreal, and Austin are all somewhat different.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful to focus on your people over your projects. Good people make good projects, but you can't always find good people to staff projects, even if the project idea is a good one. Laid off employees sometimes don't come back.

Great place to work, would have given up some of the benefits to avoid layoffs.

Operations/Project Management (Former Employee)

I worked at BioWare full-time for less than a year

ProsSmart, dedicated co-workers. Internal processes good, could be be better. Fantastic benefits to the point of being extravagant, which may have contributed to all of the layoffs. This may no longer be the case, as I understand there have been major changes in this respect.

ConsLack of job security (like most game industry jobs).

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do Not Work Here

Flash Developer (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare as a contractor for less than a year

ProsSome of the people working in the Austin office are talented. There is a nice cafeteria within walking distance from the office.

ConsMost of the people working for BioWare are immature and untalented. Upper management is crass, loutish, arrogant, and mean. Contractors are treated like toilet paper (and about half of the work force is composed of contractors). There are few older employees. Those few are treated with disrespect bordering on harassment. Employees are harassed about their weight. Bioware is one of the worst places I have worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo out of business. I'm not kidding. You stink to high heaven. You don't know how to treat human beings.

Best time of my life

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at BioWare full-time

ProsAt the time I was there I got to work with one of the best teams I ever had worked with and had the most fun I've ever had. I remember saying to a team member "Where could we ever go that would be better than here?"

ConsSome of the senior management team is not well respected or well liked, but remain in their jobs despite massive complaints. I wish Upper Management would listen more and clean out the ranks.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind the wink links and replace them - it'll keep the good people there.

Great complete overview of the games industry as an entry level employee.

Platform QA Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at BioWare full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat People
Good learning experience
Can learn many aspects of business from here

ConsAt the time it was a very large studio with 500+ people. So there is a lot of bureaucracy to communicate with anyone not part of your team. The approval processes and number of meetings can occasionally be disruptive to work flow.

Great company with great values.

Environment Artist (Former Employee)

I worked at BioWare full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat IPs to work with, lots of emphasis on personal input, management is open to listening to your ideas and is generally concerned with your work satisfaction. There was a really great emphasis on work/life balance as well.

ConsI don't have too many cons to report. I had a great experience during my tenure at the studio.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really admire the company's core values. Keep adhering to them and you'll have a satisfied and enthusiastic team.

Company deludes employees into thinking it's an "amazing" company with bells and whistles.

QA Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at BioWare as a contractor for more than a year

ProsWorking with the QA department was a great experience.
My direct boss was very easy going and explained things very well.
Loved my team and my tasks.
Was my first gaming company I worked for, so I was able to get my foot in the door that opened up lots of possibilities.

ConsI was led on that I would be brought on to the company full-time as opposed to being a contractor. I did an amazing job and worked my way up the QA ladder, but still got the boot once my contract was up.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of spending ridiculous amounts of money on breakfast every morning, use that money towards bringing dedicated and hard-working contractors on full-time.

Great people hampered by odd decisions

QA Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at BioWare as a contractor for more than a year

ProsMet some great, talented people. Many days were lots of fun.

ConsQA is run in a way that discourages being a team player. Too much emphasis on contract and overseas QA. Much of QA, except those few who are 'embedded' with the developers, seem to be kept at arms length.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the industry-wide use of contract workers. QA personnel are an important part of the development process, not a group to be thrown away.

Unique experience on a cool product

Associate Technical Artist (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare full-time for more than a year

ProsWork with people very passionate about what they do.
Great perks, excellent benefits
Challenging work environment

ConsUnstable future, your job is one failure away from being removed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to flexibility and listen to your employees as they give feedback. Sometimes ideas are just bad.

Worked for BioWare? Contribute to the Community!

BioWare – Why Work for Us?

BioWare's vision is to create, deliver, and evolve the most emotionally engaging games in the world. BioWare develops high-quality console, PC, and online role-playing games focused on rich stories, unforgettable… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BioWare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BioWare CEO Andrew Wilson. All 48 reviews posted anonymously by BioWare employees.