Biogen Idec Reviews

Reset
4.1
Biogen Idec CEO and Director George A. Scangos
George A. Scangos

Pros
  • There is a great work/life balance at this company and many activities to take part in that are sponsored by Biogen Idec outside of work (in 25 reviews)

• Great benefits and work environment (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the greatest work-life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Upper management has lost touch with the common employees even though you are now located in Cambridge (in 12 reviews)

Daily life at Biogen

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Biogen Idec (Less than a year)

Pros

Biogen expects a lot from you but in return they give you a lot. They pay well and they try to maintain a fun and fulfilling environment.

Cons

Depending on what dept you work in, you may experience some "good ol boys club" mentality. I'm hoping that Biogen will flush out those elements so it can continue to be an excellent company to work for.

Advice to Management

Emphasize to your employees (that still have their mentality in the era of the 80s & 90s) the importance of respect, tact and courtesy.

Good Place to Work- Enormous Growth

Former Employee - Associate Director in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Biogen Idec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great science and pipeline. Lots of opportunity to move across the organization and gain experience. Solid Executive leadership team. Stable and cash rich.

Cons

Work life balance is often compromised. Long hours and 24/7 culture. Taking time off is an act of courage at times. Not nimble anymore, lots of layers and pockets of big Pharma shark culture.

Advice to Management

Watch culture change closely. Culture of fear can deter from focus at work when constantly checking over your shoulder Open space is distracting.

3. Mostly positive experience but room for company to improve in employee development and better pay.

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Biogen Idec (More than a year)

Pros

Overall benefits package and miscellaneous perks and community involvement are great. Interesting and life changing products being developed.

Cons

Lower pay than expected for thriving company. Pockets of employees that are not very bright or good at business beyond the science aspect.

5. Engineer

Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Biogen Idec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, everyone is very hard working and smart. I have always been encouraged to speak to both upper level management and to those at my level if i have an issue or question. People are very open to answering questions and you are able to learn much in a very short amount of time.

Cons

There is a high volume workload and you should be organized. Managers want you to be upfront and honest about how much work you can handel, so be aware of this.

Advice to Management

Try to be more open with the entire group about what has to get done and the timelines for the work so that eveyone is more aware of the overall goals.

6. Happy Camper

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Biogen Idec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great positive environment to work. Friendly people. Promising pipeline and rapid growth.

Cons

No longer in the small biotech sector, as the growth is rapid.

7. Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Biogen Idec (More than a year)

Pros

Great management, work-life balance and compensation

Cons

None. Slight uncertainty for contractors.

Advice to Management

Smart people, great mission - with growing pains

Current Employee - Associate Director in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Biogen Idec full-time

Pros

Biogen is enjoying great success and grew very rapidly, especially in 2014. The company is full of energy and enthusiasm about potential benefits to patients in multiple disease areas. Benefits and work life balance are great. CEO has higher-than-average integrity and openness.

Cons

The company is rebuilding after a down phase in the latter 2000's. Most functions have more demand than capability.

9. Great place to work

Current Employee - Stability Coordinator/Associate Scientist III in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Biogen Idec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are amazing. Biogen really takes care of their employees.

Cons

Change happens fast not always for the better

10. Statistician

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

The working environment and the team are excellent. I learned a lot from my colleague and they are willing to help me.

Cons

The internship is too short and I am doing some research work. I don't have the chance to learn more details of the daily work of statistician

11. Business Analyst

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Biogen Idec as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Biogen is one of the best companies I have worked for! There values align very much with mine, and they also are very considerate of their employees. They offer shut-down week from Decembe25th-New Years, so no one is allowed to come into the office. Great benefits, and the company is definitely growing and expanding!

Cons

They are very strict with budget. They will spend tons of money on outside third party vendors, but when it comes to necessities within the department, they refuse to give budget. Another con of Biogen is that they don't hire people who do the actual "work." They are very keen on hiring directors, or decision makers but at the end of the day they need people to do that actual work and that's when our resources get spread thin. There also needs to be more growth opportunities within each department.

Advice to Management

Offer career counseling or more growth opportunities at Biogen. Also, stop hiring so many directors. If you are going to hire directors and above, make sure you keep the balance by hiring additional "workers" or people who will actually do the work.

RSS Feed </> Embed