Biogen Idec

Biogen Idec Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Biogen Idec CEO and Director George A. Scangos

George A. Scangos

Pros
  • Excellent benefits, culture, work-life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Great benefits; really smart people that are great to work with (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance, although they are working on it (just released Flexible Work programs) (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management has lost touch with the common employees even though you are now located in Cambridge (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights
89 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Biogen Idec is a great place to work!

Data Entry Coordinator (Contract) (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsManagement at Biogen Idec truly cares about the success and happiness of their employees. The company has been growing rapidly for some time due to their continued success in the MS drug market. This is a pharma company with a conscience. They are working on several drugs for Hemophilia patients that will not make them any money! There is a great work/life balance at this company and many activities to take part in that are sponsored by Biogen Idec outside of work.

ConsYou absolutely must have a master's degree to get a full time position.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! You are changing the lives of MS Patients globally!

Good place to build skills, then move on

Manufacturing Associate IV (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsBenefits are good, very goal-oriented; no one cares how long you go for breaks, as long as you get the job done. Biogen-Idec is exemplary at picking talent at the operator level, I have worked with some very passionate and knowledgeable people whose work ethic is inspiring, and who have influenced me to become a better operator. BIogen-Idec is also a good place to start a biotech manufacturing career, due to great networking opportunities and adherence to cGMP's, which is critical to understand if you want to become a great contributor.

ConsUnfortunately, Biogen-Idec is awful at picking talent in the management level; lower performers are constantly being promoted due to politicking and back-room dealings; most promotions announcements are met with shock and groans from the operators, even through there are very, very, very few exceptions. Management is very company-oriented and not employee-oriented; members of management are not judged by their superiors in knowledge and subordinate growth but simply bowing to their demands; and it seems that the supervisors most disliked by the operators are the ones getting promoted. Communication between night and day shifts is horrendous, with constant blame game playing and finger pointing when things go wrong.

Bonuses are so-so, pay is probably slightly below average compared to other companies I have worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou must recognize talent at the operator level and promote them accordingly; it is safe to say that the best on-floor performers have the best work ethic and possess the greatest amount of technical knowledge, which is critical in hiring effective managers and supervisors.

Great place to work

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGreat place to work, hours, location and no stress.

ConsBeing a contractor, pay, and open space.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective with whom they hire.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, well run, patient focused

Executive (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsWell paid, patient oriented, flat, lean and simple structure

ConsNot many, the executive leadership team are great as individuals but they can be dysfunctional as a group, making lots of unnecessary work layers below.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont lose the edge

Contract scientist

Associate Scientist III (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsStimulating work, good employee atmosphere. Good monetary compensation.

ConsAlienation of contractors from meetings and team building activities. For contractors: unpaid sick days, holidays and time off, as well as no health insurance, parking, shuttle, or retirement benefits. Have noticed that most employees and contractors are overworked and stretched out to their limits.

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude contractors more in meetings and leadership roles. Most contractors work as hard or harder than regular employees so some compensation is necessary.

Biogen Idec

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGood benefits. Recent stock increase is major benefit to those that have been there for a while. Decent pay. Overall really talented group of people working there.

Huge benefit if you are a scientist as this is one of the top Biotechs in the industry.

Overall the drugs the company makes have a huge benefit to the patients that take them. That is the best motivator is that the company's product has a positive impact in the lives of many people with MS and other debilitating diseases.

ConsIT went through massive layoffs and then we were all expected to do the same jobs, fill in all of the gaps and get paid the same. Overall not a very effective approach, except to the bottom line, which is what the overall focus is and will continue to be.
    Also if you are not best buddies with upper management your chance for promotion is extremely limited in your area. Promotion, at least in IT, was rarely merit based.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf management really wants to move from a "Command and Control" mentality to having committed, dedicated employees, then make positions and promotions merit based and not based on past relationships at former companies.
    The obvious focus is the bottom line and stock holders of upper management. Call a spade a spade and just say that...almost every other company in the world does.

Nice company ! Very employee friendly

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsVery employee friendly
    nice team and people
    flexible

Consno cons as of now , but traveling to downtown is tough !

Excellent company to work for.

Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsA very educational learning experience. I loved working here & would gladly go back agai
    Great training provided; my manager was fantastic & taught me so much about the industry. Very efficient company specific software that aids tremendously in being successful at the job.

ConsTeam spirit at the company wasn't that great. I also felt there was a good group of unfriendly people, primarily upper management, who could be a bit drab on the office environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you need to get more pleasantries out of those people who can't even offer a smile or reciprocate that "good morning" or "hello" when said to them.

Biogen Idec is a great place to work.

Associate Director (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsBiogen Idec has a strong culture, excellent values and really cares about the patients we serve. There are many bright people across the company most of which feel a high level of loyalty to the company and commitment to our patients. Earning potential is high, even for mid-level positions.

ConsMany departments are under resourced which results in long hours and high levels of stress. Some of the senior management team do not want to hear bad news which causes a lack of transparency. Spent considerable time and money implementing open space floor plans that do not deliver a clear benefit.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and transparent about everything - including things that aren't going well.

biogen is an active company

Research Associate (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Prosbiogen is an active company

Conscommute to biogen takes time

Advice to Senior Managementit is good management

Worked for Biogen Idec? Contribute to the Community!