Biogen Idec

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Biogen Idec CEO and Director George A. Scangos

George A. Scangos

74 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company, well run, patient focused

Executive (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsWell paid, patient oriented, flat, lean and simple structure

ConsNot many, the executive leadership team are great as individuals but they can be dysfunctional as a group, making lots of unnecessary work layers below.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont lose the edge

Contract scientist

Associate Scientist III (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsStimulating work, good employee atmosphere. Good monetary compensation.

ConsAlienation of contractors from meetings and team building activities. For contractors: unpaid sick days, holidays and time off, as well as no health insurance, parking, shuttle, or retirement benefits. Have noticed that most employees and contractors are overworked and stretched out to their limits.

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude contractors more in meetings and leadership roles. Most contractors work as hard or harder than regular employees so some compensation is necessary.

Great place to work

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsGreat place to work, hours, location and no stress.

ConsBeing a contractor, pay, and open space.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective with whom they hire.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Biogen Idec

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsGood benefits. Recent stock increase is major benefit to those that have been there for a while. Decent pay. Overall really talented group of people working there.

Huge benefit if you are a scientist as this is one of the top Biotechs in the industry.

Overall the drugs the company makes have a huge benefit to the patients that take them. That is the best motivator is that the company's product has a positive impact in the lives of many people with MS and other debilitating diseases.

ConsIT went through massive layoffs and then we were all expected to do the same jobs, fill in all of the gaps and get paid the same. Overall not a very effective approach, except to the bottom line, which is what the overall focus is and will continue to be.
    Also if you are not best buddies with upper management your chance for promotion is extremely limited in your area. Promotion, at least in IT, was rarely merit based.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf management really wants to move from a "Command and Control" mentality to having committed, dedicated employees, then make positions and promotions merit based and not based on past relationships at former companies.
    The obvious focus is the bottom line and stock holders of upper management. Call a spade a spade and just say that...almost every other company in the world does.

Great perks, still political backstabbing

Delivery Lead (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsFree coffee, free Pepsi products, slowly becoming a telecommuting company.

ConsHighly political. Backstabbing. Do not work together on issues.

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of so many of the managers and get more trench workers. Management needs to listen more and take more action.

Excellent company to work for.

Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsA very educational learning experience. I loved working here & would gladly go back agai
    Great training provided; my manager was fantastic & taught me so much about the industry. Very efficient company specific software that aids tremendously in being successful at the job.

ConsTeam spirit at the company wasn't that great. I also felt there was a good group of unfriendly people, primarily upper management, who could be a bit drab on the office environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you need to get more pleasantries out of those people who can't even offer a smile or reciprocate that "good morning" or "hello" when said to them.

Great in the early 2000s, but management no longer believes in research.

Senior Associate Scientist (Former Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsGreat resources, lots of money to spend, freedom to run exploratory side projects.

ConsRandom layoffs, sudden project concellations, constant reorganization, high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementSettle down, Knuckleheads.

Biogen Idec is a great place to work.

Associate Director (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsBiogen Idec has a strong culture, excellent values and really cares about the patients we serve. There are many bright people across the company most of which feel a high level of loyalty to the company and commitment to our patients. Earning potential is high, even for mid-level positions.

ConsMany departments are under resourced which results in long hours and high levels of stress. Some of the senior management team do not want to hear bad news which causes a lack of transparency. Spent considerable time and money implementing open space floor plans that do not deliver a clear benefit.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and transparent about everything - including things that aren't going well.

Secure company with an excellent culture, benefits, career opportunities and work-life balance.

QC Associate II (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsExcellent benefits, culture, work-life balance.

ConsIn my experience, there are some workers who are not held accountable for their daily responsibilities and in some cases management does not do the best job at rectifying these issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid of confrontation if it will help the overall group.

Great company, wish I could stay

Associate Scientist I (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

Pros-Provides plenty of scientific seminars to attend
    -Weekly social hour with free food and drinks
    -Great people
    -Cafeteria food is pretty good
    -Starbucks on site

Cons-Doesn't do much visa sponsorship (I am a citizen but others I worked with have been shafted)

Worked for Biogen Idec? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Biogen Idec reviews and ratings in Cambridge, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Biogen Idec CEO George A. Scangos. All 74 reviews posted anonymously by Biogen Idec employees.