Biogen Idec

Biogen Idec Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Biogen Idec CEO and Director George A. Scangos

George A. Scangos

Pros:
  • "Excellent benefits, culture, work-life balance"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Great benefits; really smart people that are great to work with"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance, although they are working on it (just released Flexible Work programs)"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Upper management has lost touch with the common employees even though you are now located in Cambridge"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Area Business Manager

Prosgreat pipeline, nice stock options including RSUs and purchase plan, CEO has grasp on future of the company and is a genuinely nice person

Consnegative culture, inexperienced managers, VP of sales is from primary care and has convinced upper management that a1990s primary care like pod environment is a great idea for a biotech company

Advice to Senior ManagementBiotech should be high tech with highly competent sales people and managers, hire managers with experience

BIIB in a nutshell

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHigh levels of responsibility at lower management levels

ConsShort sighted management (short time horizon to exit for Sr. Execs)

Advice to Senior ManagementOperations s/not be taken for granted, and if had been cultivated, a source of competitive advantage

Excellent place to work

ProsExcellent pay, benefits and work/life balance.

ConsOne must be persistent with Management if you want to advance.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, Great People, but could be better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood hard working people, train pass, RSUs, pay.... I wish the teams that I worked with and BIIB as a whole the best of luck in the future.

ConsAlthough BIIB is a good company, the politics and lack of personal responsibility of managment is frankly insane. There is an incessant need to make your manager feel great about themselves which stiffles inovation. There is little focus on what you actually accomplish. After a managment change it was apparent to me they had promoted a great individual contributor to a management role and it was not good for anybody. To give a view on the insanity, my new boss flew from MA to our site to "support" us for the transition where we were required to show up the next day to work to get the critical news on the move forward. The boss expected all of us to stay out until 6AM drinking. This ended up being a vacation and drinkng visit, and not at all about the transition. We never discussed the transition with our new boss. Needless to say the majority of us couldn't make it to the most critical meeting of our working lives and frankly it was embarassing that our group didn't show up to get the information. This was not the only time that we were expected to drink until we passed out when she was in town. I am not a square, but would have like to use our time with the boss for something other than huge drink-a-thons our touring her around the country for her vacation at least once in a while. When I finally said I can stay out but need to get back by 1AM since I have a family and need to work the next mornings, I was immediately thrown out of the inner circle. It was the same picture for the team in MA. They were expected to go on vacations and drinking with the boss and if they ever said no, then they were also thrown outside the inner circle. At the end the only people getting promotions were the single team members. Having said all that, I do not begrudge the single team members who recognized that this was the only way to get promoted and there are always bad managers but the experience at BIIB overall was good. Now that I am not in the situation at BIIB it is clear to me that there were a lot of good people BIIB, along with some poor promoting practices that allowed peple that should never manage people to direct their careers. In the last two years since leaving BIIB, I have been promoted 3 times and work for a great company now, however still feel loyalty to BIIB, but do acknowledge there is room for them to mature the managment.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall I enjoyed upper management and the worker level. It is the Director level that could be improved. I believe it is admirable to promote from within and I hope BIIB continues to do this in the future, but please make sure these people can actually direct people. Otherwise after promotion they as so afraid that someone will realize they can't manage that they become paranoid and only put forth the people that will flatter them. This is not a good recipe for success in BIIB's future. Also, challenge the need for MA employees to travel to Europe. Honestly, I saw zero actual work being done and lots of vacationing while the MA employees were in Europe. You have lync now and should really challenge all travel to Europe, or at least expect some actual results from the travel. The Directors coming over is really a loss of productive work time for the employees and ultimately puts more late nights and weekend work on their backs to make up for their Director getting a free vacation on the company dime.

Also, on the structural level, I never understood having around 200 VPs and Sr. VPs at BIIB. My current company with more people has only 8 VPs and Sr. VPs. Seems like there could be a little streamlining done to reduce cost and unneeded extra levels at the top. From the CEO perspective, how is he going to practically communicate to about 200 VPs? And, how are they expected to communicate to him. It would seem like eliminating the VP level entirely or reducing to 4 VPs per actual VP (8) would empower Directors and facilitate meaningful communication.

Great people, excellent environment.

Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsThe people are wonderful, and the company culture is great. The benefits are very competitive, the work is very, very rewarding. The work-life balance is great; they really encourage people to take and enjoy time off to reset and recharge. One of the things that I enjoy most about the company are the people that I work with and interact with on a day to day basis; could not ask for a better supervisor and team.

ConsChange from management seems reactive sometimes; communication regarding issues not directly work related could be better. There is sometimes a disconnect between the manufacturing areas and some of the development/laboratory/pilot plant areas. Some people don't take people in manufacturing very seriously, even though many individuals have the same or greater level and background in education.

Excellent

Summer Intern (Former Employee)

ProsOpen environment, Culture of Collaboration

ConsI cant think of any at this time

Upward and open

Pharmacy Intern (Former Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsGreat people, great benefits, great atmosphere and work space

ConsSometimes lack structure for internship

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Good PLACE TO WORK!!

Medical Writer (Current Employee)

ProsGood rewards/benefits
    Good work life balance
    Nice people

ConsUnclear future for employees; not many opportunities for lateral movement

Good place to work

Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsGood benefits, reasonable pay, stock plans

ConsAlmost no turnover - lots of complacent employees

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Biogen Idec is a great place to work and focused on breaking new grounds in biomanufacturing.

Research Associate (Current Employee)
    Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsBiogen Idec is a steadily growing company with a good reputation for how they treat employees. They have a well rounded benefits package to go with a solid salary. A great place to gain experience as long as you pursue the interests.

ConsThere are few cons to working at Biogen Idec. It is a high stress environment that pushes the boundaries when scheduling work. If you are looking for a laid back schedule that takes time going through the low level details I would not suggest coming here.

Worked for Biogen Idec? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Biogen Idec reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Biogen Idec CEO George A. Scangos. All 208 reviews posted anonymously by Biogen Idec employees.