Biogen Idec

Biogen Idec Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Biogen Idec CEO and Director George A. Scangos

George A. Scangos

Pros:
  • "Excellent benefits, culture, work-life balance"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Great benefits; really smart people that are great to work with"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance, although they are working on it (just released Flexible Work programs)"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Upper management has lost touch with the common employees even though you are now located in Cambridge"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Biogen Idec is a great place to work!

Data Entry Coordinator (Contract) (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsManagement at Biogen Idec truly cares about the success and happiness of their employees. The company has been growing rapidly for some time due to their continued success in the MS drug market. This is a pharma company with a conscience. They are working on several drugs for Hemophilia patients that will not make them any money! There is a great work/life balance at this company and many activities to take part in that are sponsored by Biogen Idec outside of work.

ConsYou absolutely must have a master's degree to get a full time position.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! You are changing the lives of MS Patients globally!

Professional and established corporation

Intern (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGreat structured company with many different teams and departments. Treats their employees well with stock options, benefits, company parties as well as many other perks. Strong oncology department with hard working people and good leadership.

ConsLike many places, politics play a role in the type of projects that are available. Budgeting is determined by the higher ups and may not have the full input of the teams.

They won't let me in.

Senior Scientist (Former Employee)
    Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsGreat work environment. Some departments make good use of people's strengths. I felt more involved, needed, respected, and valued while contracting at Biogen then I ever did any place else I've worked in 30+ years.

ConsAs a contractor I was left out of all the good things. The stock price went from $150/share to $292/share while I was there. Since I was a contractor...

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't throw people out blindly.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, well run, patient focused

Executive (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsWell paid, patient oriented, flat, lean and simple structure

ConsNot many, the executive leadership team are great as individuals but they can be dysfunctional as a group, making lots of unnecessary work layers below.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont lose the edge

Marketing

Anonymous (Former Employee)

Pros- pay
    - pipeline
    - some of the best products in the market

Cons- management
    - work-life-balance
    - job security (constant fear of losing job if you do not do what management says)
    - retaliation

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a long look at your 'middle' management. Many of them are great at managing up but not at actually managing people. Most do not have any past management experience before taking the job.

Great place to work

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsGreat place to work, hours, location and no stress.

ConsBeing a contractor, pay, and open space.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective with whom they hire.

Contract scientist

Associate Scientist III (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsStimulating work, good employee atmosphere. Good monetary compensation.

ConsAlienation of contractors from meetings and team building activities. For contractors: unpaid sick days, holidays and time off, as well as no health insurance, parking, shuttle, or retirement benefits. Have noticed that most employees and contractors are overworked and stretched out to their limits.

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude contractors more in meetings and leadership roles. Most contractors work as hard or harder than regular employees so some compensation is necessary.

Changing from Patient Services to a Call center environment

Case Manager (Current Employee)
    Durham, NC

ProsThe benefits are good. There is free soda, fruit on certain days, and donuts and muffins on Friday.

ConsOffice politics, micro managing, and lateral moves within the same department. I titled my review with that title because we we have never been a call center, but there are changes that will be taking place to make us just that. New management brings about new changes, and not for the better

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like you know the jobs of your subordinates, just because you made it into management. 90% of the Team Leads and Supervisors have no clue on how to do things that they used to do because they are so disconnected. Wearing titles is what they are good at, and what they are good for. Knowing how to help and resolve and issue doesn't take motivational interviewing, it takes a skill set in which they are out of touch with.

Biogen Idec

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsGood benefits. Recent stock increase is major benefit to those that have been there for a while. Decent pay. Overall really talented group of people working there.

Huge benefit if you are a scientist as this is one of the top Biotechs in the industry.

Overall the drugs the company makes have a huge benefit to the patients that take them. That is the best motivator is that the company's product has a positive impact in the lives of many people with MS and other debilitating diseases.

ConsIT went through massive layoffs and then we were all expected to do the same jobs, fill in all of the gaps and get paid the same. Overall not a very effective approach, except to the bottom line, which is what the overall focus is and will continue to be.
    Also if you are not best buddies with upper management your chance for promotion is extremely limited in your area. Promotion, at least in IT, was rarely merit based.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf management really wants to move from a "Command and Control" mentality to having committed, dedicated employees, then make positions and promotions merit based and not based on past relationships at former companies.
    The obvious focus is the bottom line and stock holders of upper management. Call a spade a spade and just say that...almost every other company in the world does.

Nice company ! Very employee friendly

Boston, MA

ProsVery employee friendly
    nice team and people
    flexible

Consno cons as of now , but traveling to downtown is tough !

Worked for Biogen Idec? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Biogen Idec reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Biogen Idec CEO George A. Scangos. All 209 reviews posted anonymously by Biogen Idec employees.