Biogen Idec

Biogen Idec Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Biogen Idec CEO and Director George A. Scangos

George A. Scangos

Pros
  • Excellent benefits, culture, work-life balance(in 22 reviews)

• Great benefits; really smart people that are great to work with(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance, although they are working on it (just released Flexible Work programs)(in 13 reviews)

• Upper management has lost touch with the common employees even though you are now located in Cambridge(in 12 reviews)

used to be one of the great ones

Staff Associate (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsBenefits are outstanding and the work from home option is fantastic

ConsI agree with the cronyism-it needs to stop. As does the cesspool of cronyism and bullying in Quality and Manufacturing. You can royally screw up but as long as you booze with the right people it gets swept under the rug.

Would not recommend

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsImpressive product pipeline, company prospering financially, many (but not all) friendly and helpful coworkers, fun social activities, great compensation and great core values.

ConsUnderstaffed departments resulting in workers being overloaded and work/life imbalances, people unqualified to lead are promoted to management, managers are self-serving, do not communicate openly or transparently, the work environment is too political with cronyism and cliquish team members who shut out those who don't "fit in" regardless of how well they do their work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting inexperienced people to managers and department heads. Just because someone has been with the company for X number of years and plies their particular trade well (ex. sales, accounting, law, etc.), does not mean they will make a good manager. Establish a methodology (via an external third-party) to collect truly anonymous feedback about managers and take action on the problems. You will continue to be a revolving door and lose good talent otherwise.

Employees are GREAT .... Management is awful

Consultant (Current Employee) Weston, MA

ProsWhen working with the employees the are great, they share information they really appreciate the information you impart to them.

ConsManagement has no idea what-so-ever as to what is going on.
    They complain about things they are actually the root cause of.
    When you have a discussioin about a timeline which has a bearing on the conversation, they have no idea of what has happened when.
    They ask you a question, you answer it and then they accuse you of being defensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking you are automatically smarter than your employees just because you are paid more than them. That's Sr. Management's fault, not the employee's. Sr. Management needs to start emparting information to the employees (not just management) if you want people to pull in the same direction.

The company does great work for sick people, then need to start acting like a good company, not just say they are.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I wish I never joined Biogen

Principal Scientist (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGood pay and benefits. Flexible work schedule.

ConsNever had a support of my manager. Too much stress at work will forec me to quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy should I advice the upper management? I don't believe upper management really cares of simple scientists.

Marketing

Anonymous (Former Employee)

Pros- pay
    - pipeline
    - some of the best products in the market

Cons- management
    - work-life-balance
    - job security (constant fear of losing job if you do not do what management says)
    - retaliation

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a long look at your 'middle' management. Many of them are great at managing up but not at actually managing people. Most do not have any past management experience before taking the job.

Area Business Manager

Prosgreat pipeline, nice stock options including RSUs and purchase plan, CEO has grasp on future of the company and is a genuinely nice person

Consnegative culture, inexperienced managers, VP of sales is from primary care and has convinced upper management that a1990s primary care like pod environment is a great idea for a biotech company

Advice to Senior ManagementBiotech should be high tech with highly competent sales people and managers, hire managers with experience

Disappointing

ProsGreat pipeline
    Great benefits
    No more pros

ConsWork-life balance doesn't exist in this company.
    Hard work,no fun.
    Looks great from outside

Advice to Senior ManagementSatisfaction depends on the supervisor personality

Look beyond the pretty facade

Individual Contributor (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThe company has had a ton of success over the past 2 years. It a very exciting place to work and the salary, stock, benefits are great.

There is a new focus on science and the company is throwing resources at R&D.

If you're in the right group, you will see a lot of flexibility in work arrangements (WFH, telecommuting, etc)

ConsManagement is, for the most part, awful. There is constant infighting, finger pointing, and political jockeying. Also, the bureaucracy is both crushing and worthless. A good 30% of the staff are here only because they are too vested in the stock plan (golden handcuffs).

If you are applying, have a long timeframe. HR is slow and borderline useless. Expect rude comments, arrogance, and lack of communication and follow-through. In my experience, I have seen 3-6 months from first interview to offer. You will also get low balled in salary and title.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook past your inner circle. The duct tape and bandaids are starting to come apart.

Looks great from outside the company...

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGreat salaries, benefits, some wonderfully smart, dedicated people work at Biogen Idec.

ConsThe company has become very political, recent hires are interested only in lots of money and promotions. Some of the worst managers I have ever seen work at Biogen Idec. No sense of teamwork anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo out and get to know the people who are "in the trenches". Realize that some people who are talented individual contributors need to remain individual contributors because they lack the social skills to lead. Please thoroughly vet the people you are considering making leaders.

Biogen

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCurrent on technology. They have a weekly "Happy Hour" for employees in Weston and Cambridge.
    Tons of on the job (online) training, very flexibke when it comes to employees work schedule. A lot of mobile and telecommuting is an option

ConsThey can be cut throat when they let you go. 40% of staff are contractors. (Could be due to their move from Weston to Camb) Contract to perm is difficult and rare. Most contractors are used for a year (maybe more) by company then let go w/o rehire.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at hiring your existing contract employees. They work harder (and complain less) than the permanent employees. Also instead of laying off an employee, cut back on some of the travel (esp international) and nix the weekly Happy Hours. There are other ways to recognice all the hard work your employees do. That way you can have an end of the year Holiday party where all the (perm) staff can attend (vs a selected amount of perm staff)

Worked for Biogen Idec? Contribute to the Community!