Biogen Idec

Updated August 18, 2014

3.8

Biogen Idec CEO and Director George A. Scangos
George A. Scangos

Pros
  • Excellent benefits, culture, work-life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Great benefits; really smart people that are great to work with (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance, although they are working on it (just released Flexible Work programs) (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management has lost touch with the common employees even though you are now located in Cambridge (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, wish I could stay

Current Employee - Associate Scientist I  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist I in Cambridge, MA

Pros

-Provides plenty of scientific seminars to attend
    -Weekly social hour with free food and drinks
    -Great people
    -Cafeteria food is pretty good
    -Starbucks on site

Cons

-Doesn't do much visa sponsorship (I am a citizen but others I worked with have been shafted)

Great working experience, but some of the management was overwhelming and unhelpful.

Pros

Awesome benefits, work-life balance, can work from home, quick, collaborative work environment etc.

Cons

Older demographic; tough for young employees to have good non-work related conversation with colleagues.

hire more college grads

great company to work for

Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

good compensation and great benefits

Cons

slow transition for contractors to become full time

none

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company if you work for one of the few good managers

Pros

Benefits, work/life balance initiatives, internal movement to higher positions or new areas, bonus, great co-workers, ability to work at other sites - including International transfers to learn and grow at the company.

Cons

There are some bad managers and there is a lack from HR or upper management to address concerns brought up seriously and without retaliation from the manager, the stock program changed where there was no longer a real long term incentive to stay with the company.

Listen to those bring issues to HR and Sr. Managers about mistreatment, discrimination and bullying. It takes a lot for some people to take those steps and to tell them to address it directly with the manager, who is mistreating direct reports, do not allow for any change or to address the situation. Moving a bad manager to a new department is also not the solution either.

Generous company that is growing.

Current Employee - Associate Scientist II  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist II in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Pay and benefits are great.

Cons

It takes some time to get promoted.

Not stresfull work as in intern. Normal working hours with not that hard projects to finish.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Easy working environment, since not that much stress.

Cons

With a bachelor's degree I don't think one can advance much.

This is a wonderful place to work and develop your career.

Former Employee - Process Development Associate Scientist II  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Process Development Associate Scientist II in San Diego, CA

Pros

The company has a culture that values its employees and helps them advance in their career path.

Cons

Everyone realizes what a wonderful place Biogen is which makes getting a job at Biogen a highly competitive accomplishment.

Happy employees makes a profitable work place.

Excellent place to work

Pros

Excellent pay, benefits and work/life balance.

Cons

One must be persistent with Management if you want to advance.

Good company, Great People, but could be better

Pros

Good hard working people, train pass, RSUs, pay.... I wish the teams that I worked with and BIIB as a whole the best of luck in the future.

Cons

Although BIIB is a good company, the politics and lack of personal responsibility of managment is frankly insane. There is an incessant need to make your manager feel great about themselves which stiffles inovation. There is little focus on what you actually accomplish. After a managment change it was apparent to me they had promoted a great individual contributor to a management role and it was not good for anybody. To give a view on the insanity, my new boss flew from MA to our site to "support" us for the transition where we were required to show up the next day to work to get the critical news on the move forward. The boss expected all of us to stay out until 6AM drinking. This ended up being a vacation and drinkng visit, and not at all about the transition. We never discussed the transition with our new boss. Needless to say the majority of us couldn't make it to the most critical meeting of our working lives and frankly it was embarassing that our group didn't show up to get the information. This was not the only time that we were expected to drink until we passed out when she was in town. I am not a square, but would have like to use our time with the boss for something other than huge drink-a-thons our touring her around the country for her vacation at least once in a while. When I finally said I can stay out but need to get back by 1AM since I have a family and need to work the next mornings, I was immediately thrown out of the inner circle. It was the same picture for the team in MA. They were expected to go on vacations and drinking with the boss and if they ever said no, then they were also thrown outside the inner circle. At the end the only people getting promotions were the single team members. Having said all that, I do not begrudge the single team members who recognized that this was the only way to get promoted and there are always bad managers but the experience at BIIB overall was good. Now that I am not in the situation at BIIB it is clear to me that there were a lot of good people BIIB, along with some poor promoting practices that allowed peple that should never manage people to direct their careers. In the last two years since leaving BIIB, I have been promoted 3 times and work for a great company now, however still feel loyalty to BIIB, but do acknowledge there is room for them to mature the managment.

Overall I enjoyed upper management and the worker level. It is the Director level that could be improved. I believe it is admirable to promote from within and I hope BIIB continues to do this in the future, but please make sure these people can actually direct people. Otherwise after promotion they as so afraid that someone will realize they can't manage that they become paranoid and only put forth the people that will flatter them. This is not a good recipe for success in BIIB's future. Also, challenge the need for MA employees to travel to Europe. Honestly, I saw zero actual work being done and lots of vacationing while the MA employees were in Europe. You have lync now and should really challenge all travel to Europe, or at least expect some actual results from the travel. The Directors coming over is really a loss of productive work time for the employees and ultimately puts more late nights and weekend work on their backs to make up for their Director getting a free vacation on the company dime.

Also, on the structural level, I never understood having around 200 VPs and Sr. VPs at BIIB. My current company with more people has only 8 VPs and Sr. VPs. Seems like there could be a little streamlining done to reduce cost and unneeded extra levels at the top. From the CEO perspective, how is he going to practically communicate to about 200 VPs? And, how are they expected to communicate to him. It would seem like eliminating the VP level entirely or reducing to 4 VPs per actual VP (8) would empower Directors and facilitate meaningful communication.

BIIB in a nutshell

Pros

High levels of responsibility at lower management levels

Cons

Short sighted management (short time horizon to exit for Sr. Execs)

Operations s/not be taken for granted, and if had been cultivated, a source of competitive advantage

Worked for Biogen Idec? Contribute to the Community!