Biolife Plasma Services
www.biolifeplasma.com Deerfield, IL 1000 to 5000 Employees

Biolife Plasma Services Reviews

Updated Apr 1, 2014
Biolife Plasma Services – US – “Biolife Plasma Services”

Zero respect from manangement.

Just A Pee-on (Former Employee)
Cheyenne, WY

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time for more than a year

ProsThe only pro is that you are not forced by law to continue working for this center! The work is nice, most co-workers are great!

ConsYou are not allowed to ask about your schedule. You are not allowed to talk to co-workers or develope friendships with people you work with. This is difficult since you spend more time with them than your own family. Management refers to employees as "line" workers. When you look at the company profile and go through training you see that Family-Work balance is key with this company but find very soon that is not accurate. This is the only job that I have ever had that DAILY looked for reasons to write you up.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen your entire staff quits within a few months, maybe YOU are the problem and not them.

poorly managed facility

Center Supervisor (Former Employee)
Janesville, WI

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time for more than a year

Prosexcellent career opportunities if you can work at the right facility

Conslack of work/life balance; high expectations from an over-controlling manager

Biolife

Master Plasma Center Technician (Former Employee)
Bellingham, WA

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people to work with,great benifets.They are relatively flexible about letting you take vacation when you want to.

ConsNot much oppourtunity for advanceing unless you want to move. Lots of micromanagmant, cannot get a set schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe center i worked at had a lot of people wanting to move forward who were not able to due to unfair circumstances. Typically the people who are promoted to supervisor or above all are older and have families or are starting a family.

Great job, helps save lives

Pct (Current Employee)
Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services full-time for more than a year

Proseveryday your contributing to help save a life of someone in need. The people who work at biolife are some of the most nicest people you will ever meet, and the donors are usually pretty great aswell. Everyone works together as a team to meet our goals and to deliver quality.

ConsExtremely busy! sometimes the workload can be overbearing for some. Sometimes employees get treated unfairly.

Advice to Senior Managementrealize everyone is only human

Good, bad and ugly

Senior Plasma Center Technician (Former Employee)
Janesville, WI

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services part-time for more than 3 years

ProsReasonable scheduling - easy to work with family and/or school, unpaid days off as requested within reason, name recognition - resume builder, good learning experience for entry level, room for advancement to a certain extent

ConsStressful - always about the numbers, no allowance for variables which is important when working with humans, if a person is coming from a medical background it will be quite a change from what you are used to - gloves are worn for an hour or more and not changed between donors when working on the floor preforming phlebotomy, supervisors are usually (in my 3+ year experience) not from a healthcare field which can cause issues when they are directing healthcare situations, the structure of the centers is a natural for creating division among job titles and can cause things to become very tense, turnover like I've never seen in 25 years of working

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, don't hire from outside and have your lower level employees train the person who they will be reporting to, although there are some strict SOPs it does not preclude center policies being made that adhere to the SOP.

It's good knowing you're working to help others, but the stress and pressures can take a toll on your own health.

Management (Former Employee)
Idaho Falls, ID

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey are a well respected and well known company. They are the premier leaders in the industry. Proud to have been associated with them. Good resume builder. Decent pay. Good benefits.

ConsThe pressures and stress take a toll and morale lags. There's a disconnect from headquarters to what the realities are for the employees in the center.

Advice to Senior ManagementWater runs downhill. Headquarters and senior management would be well advised to pay more attention to how the unreasonable deadlines and demands exhaust the center management staff, filter down to pressures on the employees that in turn create disgruntled attitudes. You're in the business of saving lives....that should include your most valuable asset....your employees. Plus it's impossible for that not to be apparent to the donors.

Overworked

Plasma Center Technician (Former Employee)
Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services

ProsDecent pay for Michigan
Good job if you never want to see your family or friends

ConsLong hours, short or no breaks
Glass elevator, men were promoted way faster than women even though many women had more experience and education than the men.
SOP constantly changing
Knowledge was less important than how buddy buddy you are with the supervisor.

Saving lives at the expensive of destroying the lives of the labor

Senior Plasma Center Technician (Current Employee)
Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services

ProsI wonderful stepping stone, you gain some useful skills and the job looks amazing on paper compared to what it actually is.

Consunqualified supervisory staff with no knowledge of basic applied sciences ( physics, anatomy, etc) No professionalism

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the bar for your Center Supervisors, you should not be allowed to be a CS with out at least an associates degree

Stepping-stone to better things

Clinical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee)
Hoover, AL

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services

ProsThere are some really nice and helpful people working for the company and it is a good place for new/recent graduates to go to get some experience to boost a resume.

ConsManagement is out of touch with employee needs and it causes low morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that your employees are people and not machines.

entry level position

Plasma Center Technician (Former Employee)
Elkhart, IN

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services

ProsBiolife is a good place to work if you have no vision for advancement.

ConsIt is a continual lesson in humility, as it is extremely important to do only what your supervisor directs you to do. The issue there, is that there are too many supervisors over new employees. I was told many different versions of the same job, with each supervisor wanting to be the one that had authority over me. It seemed to be some kind of power struggle between the supervisors as to "who really was the boss". It may be a great place for others with a stronger will to survive than I was able to develop.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be advisable for upper management to pay more attention to the supervisors, and to thier disgruntled attitudes. It carries over to their trainees, and most regretably cannot be hidden from the donors.

Worked for Biolife Plasma Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Biolife Plasma Services reviews and ratings. All 35 reviews posted anonymously by Biolife Plasma Services employees.