Biolife Plasma Services Reviews

Updated March 25, 2015
70 reviews filtered by
CEO

Pros
  • You get a lot of interaction with many people, and the pay is good when you are starting out of school (in 6 reviews)

• The benefits are good, in many cases better than even government benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Open some holidays and every Saturday making it difficult to have a good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management decisions which make zero sense (in 5 reviews)

1. Good Company

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services

Pros

Flexible schedules tuition reimbursement career advancement

Cons

Saturday's occasionally required breaks can be hard to get

Listen to the employees they have pretty good ideas sometimes and they are often disregarded

2. Started out on the fast track to management.

Former Employee - Plasma Center Technician in Fayetteville, AR
    Former Employee - Plasma Center Technician in Fayetteville, AR

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, good atmosphere, and the ability to learn several skills quickly.

Cons

Very fast-paced and hot. No room for breaks or slowing down during your shift.

Great Career Company

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, tuition reimbursement, career development, career advancement opportunities, great benefits that start on your first day including paid vacation, and insurance.

Cons

Open on Saturdays with hours changing considerably.

Continue to work on internal development within the centers.

5. It's Great!

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services

Pros

Great Place to work at

Cons

Pay isn't so great though

You're doing great! Keep it up

6. Advanced Senior Plasma Center Technician

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, Management is easy to get along with, many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Long hours can make it hard to balance your work with your life, but once you get used to it it isn't that bad. It can be hard to get vacation when you want it/need it, but I have found that my particular managers are willing to work with you when time off is absolutely needed.

7. Better Places to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous in Eau Claire, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Eau Claire, WI

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services

Pros

The benefits are great in terms of the cost of health and dental insurance. The optional vision coverage could be better. The pay is competitive for the area. The (non-management) coworkers are very supportive and helpful. Quick advancement opportunities for phlebotomy staff. Excellent training program.

Cons

Vacation days do not roll over, so you have to use them all in the year and cannot save them up. Even with a doctor's note if you call in sick you get an occurrence. The company is very nit-picky. Management is not supportive and blames staff when staff bring up concerns/suggestions. Advancement opportunities for nurses are terrible. Required to work 5 days a week regardless of being part time or full time. Quick burn out due to lack of consistency in scheduling. You might work until close one day and open the next day. Support departments are not always available to staff.

Allow staff to work less than 5 days a week. Provide a consistent schedule for staff to balance work-life. Do not blame staff when bringing forward concerns or suggestions. Do not talk down to staff.

8. Great coworkers, terrible hours

Former Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician
    Former Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers at Biolife are some of the best I've ever worked with. They are as a whole, supportive people who pitch in to help each other out when needed and know when to laugh when needed. If you want a good benefits at a job where you will be trained from the ground up, for ok pay, this may be a good 1-2 year job for you (most people start burning out after that). If you have a strong body, don't need a lot of sleep, work well in a very tightly controlled and often extremely fast paced environment, and you're willing to jump though the hoops and put in the time, this may be a good fit for you long term.

Cons

The hours are horrible. Everyone is constantly sleep deprived. If you can't handle being micromanaged, don't do well on your feet all day, and you need a consistent sleep schedule, this job is not for you. I also feel like the company tries to seem much more benevolent than it really is. "We're in the business of saving lives." Also the business of making money, make no mistake. Most donor safety concerns are most likely because of lawsuits in the past as opposed to actual care for donors. Employees are used up because it's cheaper than trying to retain them. (My beef is with you corporate, not the center.)

Just be honest. (Some managers are better at this than others.) Everyone knows when you're not telling the truth or giving half truths, and most people will appreciate gentle frankness. Also, kindness is appreciated. Hiring great people is a big plus, so keep it up.

9. 10 years at a great organization

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There were multiple opportunities to move up in the organization and keep growing as an individual. Once you got to certain level multiple leadership classes were made available and training/travel paid for. I became the manager that I am today because of the time and energy invested in my development.
    This is a fast paced environment, strenuous environment. There is no way to hide that and I know it is discussed in multiple ways during multiple interviews. BioLife is accountable to Donor Safety, Product Safety, and Staff Safety – and decisions are made with all of those in mind.

Cons

Goals change through the year depending on the manufacturing environment. At times adjusting to new expectations feels that we are on a roller coasters and work life balance is tossed out the window. The centers have a six day a week schedule and are operational from 5 AM to 10 PM, but the support departments are not always available during the times that you needed them. The entire organization needs to shift to support the changing expectations.

Don't forget to walk a mile in the shoes of your employees.

10. Good company, bad bosses

Former Employee - Plasma Center Technician in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Plasma Center Technician in Fargo, ND

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits like good insurance, disability pay, tuition reimbursement. Decent pay and PTO

Cons

Standing all the time at work. Mean co-workers, bosses breathing down your shoulder all the time.

Don't encourage people who tell on each other - That's how you lost your best employees.

11. Great job but busy to the extreme.

Former Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician in Appleton, WI

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services

Pros

Lots of room for advancement for ambitious and hard working individuals. The best health benefits you will ever find. I loved our management. We have monthly meetings that were fun, showing us all of our numbers and recognizing those who are doing a good job. You can move up fast if you continuously show initiative.

Cons

Staff extremely overworked when busy. You start off in medical history, which is insanely easy, just repetitive but can be fun, then most advance into phlebotomy after a few months, where a lot of workers realize after being fully trained, that they can't handle it. The extreme pace of donors and the nasty problems that arise (donors getting sick or blood spill etc) make the job terrible some days. There are a lot of times where you work till 10pm and then have to be back by 5:30am. (you get 5 hours of sleep if you're lucky)

Management is wonderful, actually.

Biolife Plasma Services Photos