Biolife Plasma Services Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Hard work, but very rewarding career

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay for those that have a high school diploma as their highest level of academic achievement. The benefits are amazing including health, dental, vision, 401K, and tuition reimbursement. It is rewarding to know that the work you put in everyday is bettering patients lives and even saving them in some cases. Great opportunity for advancement if you are willing to put in the work to get there. Great atmosphere with fun people.

Cons

Undesirable hours that mean starting very early in the morning or working late into the evening. Open some holidays and every Saturday making it difficult to have a good work/life balance. Operational policies and hours are changed frequently to meet the demand for the product. The company has to be very demanding so they are able to meet their goals as patients lives depend on it. You really have to embrace the goals and become part of the team to adjust to the disadvantages.

Advice to Management

Keep the triple bottom line in mind when strategizing to meet goals and forming policies. The business is important and the goals need to be met, but the employee's needs have to be taken into account in those decisions as well. The knowledge and experience each employee has cannot be replaced by hiring someone new.

Horrible

Pros

Only that the pay was competitive

Cons

Management was harassing and hostile. They made unsafe decisions in the name of productivity putting donors and employees at risk.

Advice to Management

Take complaints serious and don't falsify documentation.

Great

Former Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician in Boise, ID

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Environment is awesome, and people are really nice.

Cons

They expect their employees to stay late day after day, witch can be nice sometimes but when their are kids involved staying hours after your shift is expected to be over is uncalled for. They have favorite employees also, and most of them slack, while the hard working employees get no recognition.

Advice to Management

Don't get rid of the good employees, watch the Masters!

Dedication and Hard work do not pay off here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits the company offers are excellent. Health insurance benefits are better than most work places, they also offer 401k, life insurance, spouse and dependent life insurance and they cover domestic partner's and their children. They offer great discounts with various different companies and services. There is a decent amount of PTO available.

Cons

Poor compensation, almost non existent annual pay increases, shady dishonest management, broken promises. There is a lack of communication between the abundance of management and the employees. Schedules are extremely inconsistent. It is hard to get any type of work/life balance. Management does not care about employees as individuals.

Advice to Management

Upper management seems to be blind about what is really happening in the various centers. If they want to reduce the employee turn over rate they should hire more experienced center managers who start treating their employees like they are valued.

6. Tolerable

Current Employee - Medical Supervisor in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Medical Supervisor in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, managment is a little young and inexperienced. Rapid advancement opportunity available to non nursing staff. Average pay and benefits.

Cons

No opportunity to advance for nurses, the expectation is that you will cross train to fill lesser roles when you are not engaged in nursing activities. Work/life balance is approaching that of a hospital as the company continually expands hours to increase profitability. Wages stagnant with annual increases that barely match inflation.

Advice to Management

Add at least one nurse to the management/decision making team. I don't like the fact that a group of 25 y/o's with no medical expertise or experience is determing how I should best do my job.

7. Enjoyable, educational, and a bit of a struggle.

Former Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician in Harrisonburg, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician in Harrisonburg, VA

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay for not having any phlebotomy experience. The training wasn't too bad either, could be sped up a little more. Very nice vacation time. Good hours during the day.

Cons

The management seem to have a hard time listening to their employees that have suggestions. A little too much drama leaking into working causing a dysfunctional team.

Advice to Management

Listen every now and then and you might have things running smoother.

Not bad for temporary, but this job can be spiritually exhausting

Pros

You get a lot of interaction with many people, and the pay is good when you are starting out of school. Far more money than your average LPN LVN position here.

Cons

The business expects more from their employees than can be expected. This causes a lot of employees to be dissatisfied, but the pay is good enough that some push it out. They don't require certifications for any of their phlebotomists, so many don't have the ability to sustain their lifestyles outside of this company, causing begrudging job lock.

Advice to Management

While it is important to grow your business, do not treat your employees as interchangable cogs, with no value. Also, realize that a overwhelming majority of the people that donate plasma are going to come, regardless of your hours. So scheduling employees until late at night is not conducive to either business or morale.

9. Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pay is decent for the work, benefits, great morale overall

Cons

stressfull at times when really busy

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Great place but Stressful

Pros

It is such an excellent feeling knowing that you are helping to save lives! The company is very well respected and the pay, vacation, and benefits are good and they will train you on the job.

Cons

If you can't handle very fast paced job that can at times be quite stressful, then this isn't the job for you. They also don't work with you as far as scheduling. The hours are very all over the place so if you have a family, again this probably wouldn't be the place for you. You also are on your feet 9 hours a day so physically it wears you down.

Advice to Management

Biolife is about helping others and helping to save lives, but at what cost to your employees? There are many times that the donors get treated better than the staff. Many of my coworkers are quitting because they were physically pushed to far.

Schedule was awful and very little rewards for good employees

Former Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician in Eau Claire, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician in Eau Claire, WI

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services part-time

Pros

I enjoyed the job itself and working with customers. I also had great co-workers. The 2 weeks vacation was also nice.

Cons

The schedule was very inconsistent. One day I would work until 8:30 pm and the next day I would have to be back at 5:45 am. There was no routine to the schedule. There was very little rewards or bonuses for doing a good job, but we were nit-picked to death. It was very disheartening seeing the donors constantly getting thousands of dollars in prizes and the company couldn't even give us a decent holiday party. Also, wages were very unfair. I worked there for over 3 years and ended at $12.50 an hour and found out after I quit that a girl that has started about 6 months prior was already at $14 an hour! I couldn't believe it. I worked my butt off and wasn't getting paid what I deserved. Also, I hated that they would give an occurrence if you called in sick without getting your own shift covered. Everyone just came to work sick because they didn't want occurrences. One girl even passed out at work. It was ridiculous. Another girl I worked with was 9 months pregnant and dilated for days and the management refused to give her a chair. She had to stand through her 8 hour shifts. When the pregnant employees would complain about pains or discomfort, the assistant manager would tell them "If I could do this when I was pregnant, than so can you." Everything was about business needs and there was very little consideration for employees as humans who had lives.

Advice to Management

I truly believe this job needs to pay more and the staff need to be much more appreciated. It was disappointing leaving all the amazing co-workers, but I just couldn't stand the uncaring and critical management anymore. I also hated the constantly changing schedule. If the staff felt appreciated and rewarded, they would want to stay. The turn over rate is embarrassing.

RSS Feed </> Embed