Biomet

Biomet President, CEO, and Director Jeffrey R. Binder

Jeffrey R. Binder

Relaxed atmosphere

I have been working at Biomet full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBiomet is not your typical office environment. We are allowed to wear jeans everyday. The people are all very friendly and generally get along very well. Biomet is generous with education and certification reimbursements and encourage team members to pursue a higher education and/or learn new skills. They offer a competitive wage and benefit package.

ConsTraining could be better. There is a lot of old "tribal knowledge" because so many people have been with the company for so long without really documenting how things are done. This makes it a bit harder for newcomers to learn things. However, training has improved over the last several years. Starting pay is pretty low compared to competitors in the area (or so I've heard), but once you're in, performance reviews and pay increases are given regularly and are decent. "Life" at Biomet has changed over the past several years after it was sold to a private equity group. It still has somewhat of a family feel, but there is more emphasis on meeting the production numbers and profit goals than anything, so employee/management relationships have suffered quite a bit. There is an overall "do as I say...and do it NOW!" attitude. Shop employees have seriously considered (and voted on) union representation due to the current management styles and attitudes. That is very sad to see and not at all like the old Biomet. Some areas work excessive overtime, so work/life balance doesn't really exist. Promotion opportunities exist, but not in all areas or departments. Marketing seems to be the department with the most opportunities for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry listening to your employees more... they really do have good ideas! The "good ol' boys club" management style isn't really that impressive or effective anymore; try a leadership style instead. People will follow you if you're more open and honest with them. Long-time employees have survived as long as they have because they really DO know things - give them a chance and stop treating them like they're just unwilling to change.

Frustrating

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Biomet

ProsAmazing co-workers that work hard to achieve goals.

ConsNot a good place for clinical research. It is not a priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementInability to make key decisions in a timely manner really slows your business.

Good

I have been working at Biomet full-time

ProsIt is an engineering based company

ConsMost of the company sales managers have no sales experience

Don't Bother Selling Bone Stims

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Biomet full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI think if you are selling anything other than bone stimulators, Biomet may be a decent company to work for. Everyone is nice and happy and people generally go around smiling with positive attitudes at the National Sales Meetings. In other words, the company culture is pretty decent.

ConsIt is like pulling teeth to get insurance companies to cover bone stimulators (the payors are experts at looking for loopholes to find reasons to deny claims) and Obamacare is making it nearly impossible, so unless you are unethical and "creative" and don't mind risking going to prison for Medicare fraud like some of the competitors, you will find yourself putting most of your patients through the patient assistance program and getting paid ZIP for those orders (big waste of time and gas money having to go fit those patients. It's nice to take care of people but not getting paid gets real old, real fast). Also, Biomet will give you a HUGE territory and then only pay mileage for 800 miles (when, in reality, you are driving 1600+ miles and having to eat the rest of the gas costs). They don't offer a compant car, so you'd better get used to paying a lot of wear and tear related car repairs. Oh, and the Health Insurance is LAUGHABLE. Have fun with that $3,000 deductible and, whatever you do, don't get sick!

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on getting fresh fracture indication for trauma stim and the cervical study for the Spinal Pak everyone has been begging for.

IT Positions at Biomet

IT Colleague (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Biomet full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInteresting integration work as different divisions combine and acquisitions are made (e.g. purchase of additional Spine company in Colorado by the Biomet Spine division)
good co-workers. Initiated conversion from legacy midrange ERP to SAP

ConsCurrently IT is being consolidated in Indiana so there are fewer positions in e.g. N.J. , Fla.
as changes are made IT for one division is being consolidated in Colorado, and even then not sure how long it will be before most of the key management positions go to Indiana

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a more decentralized IT structure - with the benefit of a better geographic area where to look for talent

Great place to work~

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Biomet

ProsGreat place to work and good environment.

ConsThere is nothing negative to comment on.

Business Analyst

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Warsaw, IN

I have been working at Biomet full-time for less than a year

ProsNice team member to work with

ConsCompany has to manage better to communicate with its employee.

Advice to Senior Managementstrengthen people management. Add mentor program

Difficult industry to survive in, Biomet neither helps nor hurts your chances with the competition.

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Columbia, SC

I have been working at Biomet full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFriendly corporate staff and the training can be helpful.

ConsCorporate dealings with independent distributors are disguised as being amicable, however it seems that they are truly hostile and the future structure of the company is unknown. Price pressure in the industry is not handled well within the organization and results in an 'every man for himself' mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnite your distributors and align incentives with the corporation, then get back on the offensive with competition. R&D is very offensive and bright, but this culture doesn't flow through to the execution in the field. Lots of traveling corporate staff will fly in to town, make promises to doctors, then never follow through with said promises. This hurts everyone in the organization. Perhaps the best way to describe the problem would be to simply point out who actually owns Biomet, PE firms who do not manage the business with the salesman in mind.

Great company for experienced sales professionals.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Biomet full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat products, team-environment, strong management team

ConsMarket is experiencing a loss in revenues, future outlook is somewhat desolate.

OK company but an "Old boys club" feel

Process Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Biomet full-time for more than a year

ProsFamily oriented and paid well

ConsIn Warsaw, IN. No confidence in CEO. Management made terrible decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at other successful large medical companies to see how they work. I.E. better work/life balance, hire smarter people, etc

Worked for Biomet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Biomet reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Biomet CEO Jeffrey R. Binder. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Biomet employees.