Biomet

Add Photos

Biomet President, CEO, and Director Jeffrey R. Binder

Jeffrey R. Binder

Great place to work~

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Biomet

ProsGreat place to work and good environment.

ConsThere is nothing negative to comment on.

Great company for experienced sales professionals.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Biomet full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat products, team-environment, strong management team

ConsMarket is experiencing a loss in revenues, future outlook is somewhat desolate.

Very friendly Bunch!

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Biomet full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLike the vision, and progressive thinking for the product lines we represent.

ConsTakes a bit of time to get custom instruments done.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused.

Great place to work! Great Benefits!

Facilities Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Biomet full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery good job security (no lay offs through recession), Competitive pay, Air conditioned shop, 100% match up to 6% 401k (with roth 401k option), 15 days vacation per year, Low premium HSA & HRA insurance, free $50,000 life insurance, free short term disability insurance, free long term disability insurance, low cost dental insurance, low cost eye insurance, free coffee, free black tea, free hot chocolate, there is a cafeteria.

ConsThere are communication issues between Hourly people and management. The United Steel Workers are trying to organize Biomet right now (May 2013) and trying to get people to be discontent.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind better ways to communicate with Hourly employees.

Wonderful Place to Work

Warsaw, IN

I have been working at Biomet

ProsIncredibly relaxed, fun and open work atmosphere. Great job hiring new employees and great opportunities for lateral and vertical movement within the company.

ConsNot quite as big as their major competitors, Zimmer, Depuy, Stryker and Smith & Nephew, however a much more innovative and socially responsible firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore feedback to employees on a regular basis. More on campus amenities such as a better cafeteria or a fitness room.

A Great Opportunity

Inventory Manager (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Biomet

ProsI enjoyed the location of Biomet, the Co-Workers within the building, and the pay I received was comparable. It was a nice place to work in general. My direct supervisor was very understanding with various personal issues I had that may/may not have intruded upon my work. I appreciated that.

ConsHours were long sometimes, early in the morning, sometimes I was working at 2a at a hospital for a salesman who was making all the money with the commissions. Upon that, higher management was a little arrogant sometimes, but other than that- not too much. As I have said, it was a nice place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen a bit more to ideas

Relaxed atmosphere

I have been working at Biomet full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBiomet is not your typical office environment. We are allowed to wear jeans everyday. The people are all very friendly and generally get along very well. Biomet is generous with education and certification reimbursements and encourage team members to pursue a higher education and/or learn new skills. They offer a competitive wage and benefit package.

ConsTraining could be better. There is a lot of old "tribal knowledge" because so many people have been with the company for so long without really documenting how things are done. This makes it a bit harder for newcomers to learn things. However, training has improved over the last several years. Starting pay is pretty low compared to competitors in the area (or so I've heard), but once you're in, performance reviews and pay increases are given regularly and are decent. "Life" at Biomet has changed over the past several years after it was sold to a private equity group. It still has somewhat of a family feel, but there is more emphasis on meeting the production numbers and profit goals than anything, so employee/management relationships have suffered quite a bit. There is an overall "do as I say...and do it NOW!" attitude. Shop employees have seriously considered (and voted on) union representation due to the current management styles and attitudes. That is very sad to see and not at all like the old Biomet. Some areas work excessive overtime, so work/life balance doesn't really exist. Promotion opportunities exist, but not in all areas or departments. Marketing seems to be the department with the most opportunities for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry listening to your employees more... they really do have good ideas! The "good ol' boys club" management style isn't really that impressive or effective anymore; try a leadership style instead. People will follow you if you're more open and honest with them. Long-time employees have survived as long as they have because they really DO know things - give them a chance and stop treating them like they're just unwilling to change.

Good

I have been working at Biomet full-time

ProsIt is an engineering based company

ConsMost of the company sales managers have no sales experience

Business Analyst

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Warsaw, IN

I have been working at Biomet full-time for less than a year

ProsNice team member to work with

ConsCompany has to manage better to communicate with its employee.

Advice to Senior Managementstrengthen people management. Add mentor program

Matrix reporting environment was sometimes confusing. Business in transition prepping for future IPO

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Biomet full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits. Good compensation. Strong future opportunities. Leeway to make decisions. Not Micromanaged. Treated like a professional.

ConsThree bosses with differing priorities made it difficult to know who's Top Priority to take care of first. Piles of projects backlogged. Sometimes over 40 open projects assigned to you at one time. Instead of being efficient at a few things, spent too much time just trying to keep juggling too many balls at one time, and eventually some of them hit the ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople that have been there through transitions walk around in fear of being outsourced. Top Management needs to announce their future strategy so everyone knows where the company is heading and how best to help carry it out.

Worked for Biomet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Biomet reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Biomet CEO Jeffrey R. Binder. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Biomet employees.